430 - f1 trans - Car shows 6th gear on LCD gear change cluster when it is actually in 4th | FerrariChat

430 f1 trans - Car shows 6th gear on LCD gear change cluster when it is actually in 4th

Discussion in '360/430' started by carguy007, Apr 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    This is really odd. I will try and capture on video. I will shift from third to fourth sometimes and it will show the car is in sixth when it is really in fourth. What could be askew to cause that? Is it a corrupted TCU? Never seen or heard of anything like this ever.

2. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    You might have the special eight gear car. They only made the one.

imahorse likes this.
  3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    i would pull codes first and record stored min & max of actuator fingers
    then do a relearn on actuator and see if it fixes issues and/or returns any codes
    Look at min and max of actuator fingers in each gear and compare to the above values
    Could be just a relearn or potentiometer are going bad

4. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    Unfortunately don’t have access to sd2, Leonardo etc. I did capture this off phenomenon on video after an hour trying to replicate it.

I agree with the actuator relearn. Only code I caught related to trans was p1770. Not much help.

what the cheapest diagnostic tool I can buy that does an actuator relearn - launch?

5. nessus-gte

nessus-gte Karting

Aug 31, 2014
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles
    The potentiometer's job is to tell the TCU what gear is engaged. Flash's diagnostic advice will help pinpoint that. Run a relearn and see what results.

As for a bad TCU, I once asked Daniel at Ricambi if he has a lot of customers replace their TCUs because they go bad. He told me unequivocally that failed TCUs are exceptionally unusual. This ended up being good advice, and saved me from going down the wrong path in my F1 troubleshooting.

6. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    a p1770 could be air, leaky screws or a bad ev3 valve

I would do the following
    remove actuator
    bleed correctly
    tighten screws
    run relearn

I don't know if the thinkdiag has the functions but it does look promising and at a cost of 100+ dollars I would buy it and see ( i am sure you can return it on amazon if it doesn't work)

There are a few ways to buy ,... one make for a year, all makes for a year, all makes for 2 years .. the part that stinks is that after the subscription ends i believe you have to pay again ..

just as an example : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08R32XQQH/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B08R32XQQH&pd_rd_w=JGmlM&pf_rd_p=4269e1a0-a218-4fbd-9748-1cd337d2f2a5&pd_rd_wg=Mr06e&pf_rd_r=JKBGEWZ70TKKBD5ZYV2Y&pd_rd_r=a89a0858-28b3-4779-a12c-a6c5d766ff30&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFPVkRVMU1SMElLREcmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA3ODk1MTIzU1Y0NkU2OUhYSExCJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA3MDExNTcySlVQWVdUWUdTMEpVJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

7. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    Good advice and thanks for linking the diag tool. I will follow your course of action once I have a diag tool. I am not sure that will work for the F1 but does say all systems. I am going to try and do some research.

If anyone has direct experience with this would be great to hear your experience.

My research pointed me towards the Launch, but this looks very promising.

8. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    I tried to upload the video but file is too large.

9. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I have the launch and it is great. The price is much more than the thinkdiag and just wanted to put that out there as maybe a great alternative

I think where it may lack is ecu coding etc

Hey it is worth a shot

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

10. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    Launch seems like the way to go:). My buddy has it and said just pay the 800 and be done with it.

11. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I think it has the same year bi yearly subscription

Just a fyi thinkdiag i believe uses same software but is slightly different in hardware and firmware

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

12. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Did the relearn fix your issue

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

13. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    I will not know until I drive the car. Had two codes however:

P1772 - Opposite gear engagement
    P1770 - Gear Engagement wrong shift

I am thinking that my bleed screws are loose

James

14. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Were those stored before the relearn?

The relearn may fix the issue

Now that you have them written ..erase those codes and try a relearn again and see if they appear

15. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    My problem with the 360CS not shifting into 3rd gear did record a P1770 once (Gear engagement wrong shift) and at the same time P1742 (selection potentiometer absent). My and your problem both have to do with shifting location. Bad sensor it looks like. It thinks you are in the 5=6 plane while the gearbox is actually in 3-4 plane. Bad sensor will do that.

16. Simmopeak

Simmopeak Rookie

Feb 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Chris Simmons
    Have you had any issues with you car not selecting a gear?

Since my car was serviced it has started missing 3 and 4 gear at times, and doing the same as yours with being in 4th but displaying 6th

17. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013

Wanted to help those out here and provide an answer to my issue. Bled the F1 system and there was a significant amoubt of air in the system and you could hear it come out which was crazy. Did relearn process after. Car is perfect now and has never shifted this smooth or fast.

AandSC likes this.
  18. Denzel Yang

Denzel Yang Rookie

Feb 2, 2023
    China
    Full Name:
    Denzel Yang
    P1772 - Opposite gear engagement
    P1770 - Gear Engagement wrong shift

I also have those code, my symptom is loose 4th gear and drop to neutral,bleed the actuator and tighten the 3 bleed screw, relearn. Didn’t solved the problem, probably needs to replace the gear sensor.

19. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

by "loose 4th gear", do you mean " it drops to neutral at 4th gear"?

20. Denzel Yang

Denzel Yang Rookie

Feb 2, 2023
    China
    Full Name:
    Denzel Yang
    Yes

21. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

lots of possibilities, might be clutch on its last legs, for one.

22. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Denzel

I see you that you posted in various threads about issues you are having

My suggestion..open a new thread, explain your issues that you are having, what have you done so far amd if anything seemed to help. In that thread let us know if you have any diag tools. Do a few timings ...tell us pump cycle times ..on duration, off duration with key in on position and engine running ...so it a few times. Also give us the same timings while driving straight at 25 mph .. i assume you have a 430 ..what year

Look forward to seeing new thread with all the info

23. Denzel Yang

Denzel Yang Rookie

Feb 2, 2023
    China
    Full Name:
    Denzel Yang
    Thanks for your suggestions
    I just solved the problem, is a really really silly thing , turns out is a translation error of x431 into Chinese cause I put the key off the car during the self learning program. So foolish of me. The transition said “ turn off the key and let the key away from dashboard for at least 5 minutes ” You supposed be leave the key on!!!! Anyway thanks all your kind Ferrari owners

24. nessus-gte

nessus-gte Karting

Aug 31, 2014
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Awesome! Glad to hear this. Launch definitely has its quirks.