Scuding Install Pics | FerrariChat

Scuding Install Pics

Discussion in '612/599' started by jimshadow, Mar 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    #1 jimshadow, Mar 7, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    Decided that it would be cheap insurance to add a ScudIng F1 ECU Relay to my early ‘07 599 GTB. Ordered the part from ScudIng last Monday and the part came from France in 3 days to Indiana, USA. Crazy!

Here’s what happened with pics......

1. Remove rear right hand (passenger side) trunk liner and expose the battery area.
    2. Turn OFF the battery kill switch
    3. Verify that everything is indeed OFF
    4. Locate the appropriate Relay. (This took a few minutes as I went back and forth verifying that I indeed had the correct rely)
    5. Remove Relay
    6. Install ScudIng Relay, Attach Ground, Use heavy duty double sided Velcro to attach to available metal surface
    7. Turn on the battery kill switch
    8. Open drivers door and listen for the F1 pump to cycle
    9. Start car
    10. Engage 1st gear/reverse/neutral
    11. Since I cannot drive it at the moment (Tires/Salt on the roads) I let it warm up to temp, enjoyed a few revvs and then shut it down.

Looking at the OEM mechanical relay, the blades of the relay look like they’ve been through some heat/cold cycles/maybe some arcing. There’s definitely some current that passes through this thing. Looking inside, its relatively clean, (minor discoloring) however, moving to the ScudIng F1 ECU ensures that I don’t have to worry about the relay failing at all!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

F3RN4ND0 likes this.
  2. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Hey Jim, Nice work! My car goes in for a fluid service in one week so I'm going to let them do the install. Best of luck with the new relay!

jimshadow likes this.
  3. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    Thanks! It was rather easy. Took longer to remove the carpeting than it did to replace the relay!
    New tires as a next step and it driving season!!

F3RN4ND0 and George Vosburgh like this.
  4. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    I'm curious about anyone's thoughts on the condition of the relay blades? @tazandjan ?
    I was suprised to see so much discoloration after so little usage. It appears to me that these blades have really had some hot/cold cycles.....am I wrong in that?

Jim

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jim- I would be more concerned about the condition of the contacts than the connector blades. Those blades are pretty hefty pieces of metal. The problem with the original 30 amp relay in the early F1 cars (through about November 2003 when they changed to 50 amps) was the points fusing together and leaving the F1 pump running continuously.

jimshadow and flash32 like this.
  6. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    The rainbow marks on the relay blades are indicative of a thick oxide layer. This points to significant heat experienced.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Wouldn't you think with that much heat the plastic socket would have shown something?

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

jimshadow likes this.
  8. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    So I take this as perhaps this was a good move given the condition of the contacts. If that's the case, then heads up to all early 599 owners. :)

Jim

George Vosburgh likes this.
  9. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    You would think so ! The relay case looks great inside and out.

10. steve moody

steve moody Karting

Apr 27, 2019
    Cape Coral, Florida 33914
    Full Name:
    steve moody
    I have seen that discoloration on high quality silver plated electronic parts used in aircraft. It is possible that it is just fine, unless you are seeing signs of heating on the plastic housing. Silver oxides conduct almost as well as the base silver-if those terminals are silver plated. As Terry says, the condition of the contacts is more of a concern if they are not rated for the starting current or arcing due to back EMF when the contacts open. I will look at the relay on my 599.

Skidkid likes this.
  11. Zaza

Zaza Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2017
    Brittany & Indonesia
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    From France ?? from Switzerland I presume. We are a few here who will ( or who did) soon install the device

12. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mine will be installed in the next week. The car is in the shop now.

13. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    ship from address:

IS TECHNO - SCUD ING SWISS
    VAULRUZ, FR 1627
    CH

I guess that is Switzerland...LOL!!

14. FIN612

FIN612 Karting

May 10, 2017
    Finland
    There are VAT issues for EU oders if sent from Switzerland. France is much better as orig country. I ordered a few years ago and saw the issue.....

15. SandroLR

SandroLR Rookie

Mar 6, 2020
    Plainfield, NJ and Lakeville, CT
    Full Name:
    Sandro La Rosa
    Inspired by this thread, I also bought one (basic).
    Installed two days ago. Drove 200 miles. No issues and solid gear shifting.

jimshadow likes this.
  16. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Same here, removing the original relay was a bit hard but it came out nicely in the end!

17. bay

bay Formula 3

Mar 13, 2011
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bernard