812 VS Rumors | Page 211 | FerrariChat

812 VS Rumors

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Frenzisko, Feb 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    the fans are a source of air used to detach the wake (air flow) in a controlled manner from the rear of the car via the outlets in the bodywork.
    The GPF is a lot closer to the engine (not at the back) but I agree the test car illustrates many mysteries we don't yet fully understand. Hopefully the engineers will provide good reasons for the ideas they are utilizing on this new VS model.

Albert-LP likes this.
  2. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #5252 Albert-LP, Mar 8, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    It looks a bit complicated, but it would be a valuable feature: I only saw that aside the fighter jets air intakes and on 599 XX

Image Unavailable, Please Login

From Car and Driver
    "...the winglets on the C-pillars—resembling Alfred E. Neuman’s ears—funnel air inward, forcing it to slide down the Lexan backlight, then along the ducktail trunklid, and finally over the carbon-fiber blade spoiler. And then there’s the huge underbody fairing and rear diffuser, whose center section is air permeable. Two electric fans mounted inside the trunk suck air through that permeable panel and then vent it through the holes previously occupied by taillights. The air is discarded in individual huffs and puffs (like a subwoofer stomping out rap music), which, we are told, detaches the wake from the rear of the car. This is apparently a good thing, according to the F1 engineers who designed it—along with the winglets—during hundreds of trial-and-error hours in Ferrari’s own wind tunnel. The fans automatically quit sucking underbody air at 155 mph, a speed that suggests the car is traveling in a straight line and thus needs no extra downforce. Speaking of which, all of this aero chicanery creates 617 pounds of downforce at 124 mph and 1389 pounds at 186 mph. For what started as a street car, that’s a bunch.

Ferrari 599XX First Drive (caranddriver.com)

PS
    Could they be driven by a turbo (an exhaust gas turbine without the compressor) placed on the right rear side of the trunk?

3. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Yes the turbo idea might be too complicated when they could just use electricity. The general idea that they are doing something this ambitious is in some ways a marketing idea to utilize engineering that is not constrained by rules for a change!
    Ultimately it is like the 1000 horsepower motor; people will know you have it but there is little opportunity to take full advantage of it except on a race track.

4. ohno

ohno Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2009
    Great job! If the final car will look as elegant and sporty like your rendering, they should call it GTO...

9nb, 350MH83 and isot like this.
  5. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    i think you know ;-)

6. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    jpalmito likes this.
  7. 456-boy

456-boy Formula 3

Jun 23, 2005
    France
    Full Name:
    Victor
    The Omologata was a « normal » 812SF with different bodywork. So you’re right, nothing special under the trunk.

ingegnere and isot like this.
  8. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    I believe all SP (Special Project) cars must use an existing homologated drivetrain, only the body and interior are revised. Sort of an upgraded Tailor Made.

ingegnere and 456-boy like this.
  9. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Also, I expect they retain the major structural elements and hard points to avoid the need for additional crash tests and the need for recertification of safety systems. Would explain why doors, windshield, roof, etc. are retained. Probably also bumper structure under new skins are the same.

Having said this, if any of the blowers-in-the-trunk concepts will actually materialize it will be interesting to see what amount of the existing sheet metal will be impacted:
    ... or maybe two of the taillight holes will be repurposed?

Caeruleus11, 350MH83 and F140C like this.
  10. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Noticed that the leading edge of the hood seems to be recessed, either side of the hood bulge—sort of 488 style. More vents or an S-duct?

11. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I noticed that as well.

ingegnere likes this.
  12. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    It’s unbelievable how much information has been gleaned from a single poor quality photo. Hats off to you super sleuths, well done!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    456-boy, 350MH83 and dcmetro like this.
  14. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Nicolas21 and ingegnere like this.
  15. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    #5265 dcmetro, Mar 9, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    Isot, at first I didn't realize it was your work, I thought it was a random image wich had just popped up on the net

Thank you very much, I definitely love the rear.

According to what I have understood of @day355 different posts the rear will be the wildest part of the machine, and probably the most controversial

Caeruleus11 and isot like this.
  16. isot

isot Formula 3

May 6, 2012
    Lucca
    Full Name:
    Alberto

At least once we had the spy photo of the car in disguise. Lately in maranello they go out with a "technical" car and suddenly the definitive car arrives in 3d models. The wait is still long.. we might as well try to do something creative, just to let a little of time :)

of2worlds, Nicolas21 and ingegnere like this.
  17. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Absolutely :D

isot likes this.
  18. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Could that be a styling feature that references the 250 GTO....?

19. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I can just imagine....”my darling dcmetro, let’s get married”, “ok dear Mackenzie!” “But you’ll have to sign this tiny piece of paper that says we’re going to give all our wealth away, so no Ferraris...”.

“Wait, not even a little one?!” “Bout a Tesla?....”

Bullet dodged DC!

(Actually, I do think she is someone of real conviction and I have great respect for her. I wish her well).

20. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Ahahahahahaah I could literally hear my voice and see my face saying that :D:D:D

Caeruleus11, Lukeylikey and ingegnere like this.
  21. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Good point. I thought the same but unlike the more obvious reference to the GTO scoops—although with 2 in lieu of 3–on the Omologata, this seems to be aft-facing openings (like wide slots) on the blue car. Like I noted, I’m imagining 488.

On the camo’d car I see something indicating the possibility of the above but also what appears to be the current car’s scoop shape, but only on the driver’s side:

of2worlds, Caeruleus11 and dcmetro like this.
  22. isot

isot Formula 3

May 6, 2012
    Lucca
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    We have to understand how they want to use the lights. The cut shape of the 812's headlights generates the two niches. On the Omologata they have completely cleaned the bonnet and joined the openings to the lower part. It is evident that the headlights remain the same. In the disguised car they are clearly seen

Caeruleus11 and ingegnere like this.
  23. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    I like what they did with Omologata. Even if a bit uninspired it is cleaner looking than on the basic car and much less “fussy”.

red passion and isot like this.
  24. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    12 Volts fans? you can't reach much power: very likely no more than a 2-3 kW. Maybe a 48 volt fan: you can reach 8-10 kW of continuos power, but you shoud produce it with the engine, and so losing power for the wheels. A turbo driven fan (directly or trough a small battery and a coupled electric generator) could give even 30-40 kW of free power (40-55 hp)

ciao

Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  25. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani

No, the air outlets are those: the rear view will be very aggressive

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login