F8 spider vs 720s vs 458 | FerrariChat

F8 spider vs 720s vs 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SeattleStew, Mar 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    I'm looking to add a V8 mid-engine car to my stable, which currently consists of an 812SF, Shelby GT350, and a very modified 98 M3. As the title suggest I'm thinking F8 spider, 720s coupe/spider, or 458 coupe/spider. I don't really like the louvered rear window on the F8 tributo, so the spider is what I'd consider. I spent yesterday afternoon driving top down in the dealer demo F8 spider on a nice fake spring sunny Seattle day. Never before did I consider myself a convertible person, but I really enjoyed my experience yesterday. If I'm going to go Ferrari V8 TT I'd rather get the latest thing, instead of the 488 which is why it's not on the list.

The 458 is of great interest to me as it's a very spectacular NA V8 car. Love the styling, love the sound, love the drive of the car. Plus I like the lower price, and it may be at or near the bottom of the depreciation curve

The 720s is on my list as well because I just love the exotic styling of the car. Mixed bag on how reliable they are, and I have yet to drive one. I know a few 720s owners who all love their car. Downside is these values are all over the place.

Would love to hear from anyone who has owned any combination of these cars and what they think.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Thecadster and 430jm like this.
  2. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Before you do anything else, drive the 720S.

Boomhauer likes this.
  3. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    I’ve had the F8, 720, and 458. The F8 spider is tailor made and not yet received. I sold the other three cars because the 720 bored me, the Speciale was far better than the base 458, and the spider was coming plus a one-off based on the F8.

I’m keeping the F8 spider because it represents the last of the mid engine V8 without electrification. The next replacement model appears to be a turbo6 hybrid. So far that reason, if your choice is those three cars, I’d select the F8 spider.

If you were to expand your choice to the 458 Speciale, I would select that car instead of the other three. It is the last non-turbo V8 in a lightweight package that performs more responsively on the street and on the track.

I do not like extolling the virtues of non-Ferraris on Ferrari Chat. But if you were to drive a 765 LT, you would consider it.

4. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    If you want a new F8S, the window is rapidly closing if it hasn’t already. I currently own the 458S and it is a completely different feel and sound from the F8. Certainly more raw if you like it that way. I’ll eventually take delivery on the F8S and will later decide whether to keep both or not.

Can’t opine on the 720s, however I do understand they’re somewhat of a bargain, relatively speaking, on the used car market.

You’ll get multiple opinions, therefore you should drive all three and go from there. I don’t think there’s a bad choice to be had. It also depends on what you intend to do with the car.

With hybridization on the way, followed perhaps by EV, I’m hoarding the last of the ICE variants, including the much talked about (even here) STO. Whether I’m betting on the right horses will play out.

Gh21631 likes this.
  5. 430jm

430jm Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2017
    Atlanta
    Like you, I wanted an addition for my 812. That had to be a convertible. The 458 was an easy choice. It’s got the sound, the looks and may actually be an investment.

Who needs the additional speed especially when you already have a Superbeast?

xfrgtr likes this.
  6. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    ^ What he said

Twosherpaz and Coincid like this.
  7. Spezia

Spezia Karting

Dec 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    John Weires
    s
    Time for you to add a convertible to your stable. I chose a 458 Spider for the same reasons you mention plus I had never owned a Ferrari before.

8. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    It is as if I wrote your post.

Twosherpaz likes this.
  9. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Going to work out a time to visit my local Macca dealer and see what the 720s is all about. I really enjoyed both the F8 and 458. I don't need insane speed, and if anything the car being a little slower is a benefit. My fiancé enjoyed both cars being a lot more tame than the 812SF.

10. Twosherpaz

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    I said it was boring, I did not say it was slower.

Have her pay attention to ingress and egress and be sure she is comfortable with that. Also have her consider it if she were in a skirt.

11. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    I know you said boring, I was just adding in that slower in this case is actually better.

Went and drove the 720s a couple days ago, wasn’t very impressed. Great performance, but doesn’t do everything else all that great. Very stiff, twitchy, I hated the brake pedal, infotainment sucked, seats were not comfortable. But it was fast, made good turbo sounds, it looks very exotic, the steering while twitchy is very responsive and had good feedback, I liked the 3 traction bar lights at the top of the dash, and it wasn’t too bad to get in and out of for me. The skirt thing I think would be problematic as you basically trust fall into the car.

I stopped by my local Ferrari dealer and spec’d a couple F8 spiders.

12. Twosherpaz

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    I just recall a single guy saying how much he liked taking the car out on first dates and getting the door for the lady.

KasedyT likes this.
  13. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Yikes...

14. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    720- stiff and twitchy? Made good turbo sounds? This does not describe the 2- 720S I drove. It is for this very reason, driving a car under consideration, whenever possible, is mandatory.

JAM1, Boomhauer and Chizz like this.
  15. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    That F8s blue is stunning, would be my choice of your options.
    Wont sound epic but you have other cars that fill that big void.
    458 is legendary but something to be said for a modern F car.
    When I was at the F dealer/service center this week, we discussed the 458 vs Speciale and interesting how many former owners did not like their Speciale also.

16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    If you want slower then the 720 is not for you. I had a 720 coupe and a spider and loved them both. Super exotic looking, all of the performance yet could easily be used as a daily. At the current used prices your downside is limited.

Really you can make a case for any of the ones you listed, they all have their appeal. Try one for a while and then switch up after a year or two.

17. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Agree. Currently own all three of the cars OP asked about and I don’t find the 720 twitchy in the slightest. In fact it feels more planted to me than the other three, unless it’s got cold tires then hang on.

18. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Coupe vs spider? I drove the spider, which I probably should have clarified. Top down/rear window down you got induction noise and blow off valve noise. Top up and rear window up it was much quieter.

It was around 40° when I drove the car. Think it had the stock tires on it, so that probably had something to do with it feeling twitchy. I want to go drive it again when it’s a little warmer and sunnier

19. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    You must since the 720 is very refined,compliant,stable and comfortable. Very fast and capable. Great daily driver.Personally, lacking in excitement and driving engagement.Many feel differently.

20. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    no difference in coupe or spider due to
    Carbon tub. No it like a 488/488 spider

Boomhauer likes this.
  21. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    I really like my 720s, if you drive it at 8/10 or 9/10 it’s anything but boring. If anything it’s just to fast for the road, you can go to jail at any given moment if you push it hard.

Gh21631 likes this.