Problem with Mondial sound - noise | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Problem with Mondial sound - noise

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by mr.modena, Oct 30, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Is the noise still there when you push in the clutch ?

The timing belt idler bearings do need to be greased, or replaced every so many years. But I don't think they make that kind of noise.

2. Davidoff32

Davidoff32 Rookie

Oct 18, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Hi guys,
    just replaced the timing belts and tensioners and the noise is still there.
    I have no idea what creates this strange sound like an old washing machine motor...

@spicedriver pressing the clutch pedal doesn´t affect the sound.

Any other ideas?
    Thanks for your help!

Regards.
    Marco

3. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Take a tube and hold it at your ear...you should point out where the sound comes from. What side of the engine ? Belt side or clutch side ? Upper or lower side ?

4. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Lots of short trips can add gas to your oil. Make sure the oil is clean and not contaminated.

Pushing the clutch isolates the noise to the engine side. If the accessories are not making the noise, then it must be something internal to the engine, which would require a complete tear down.

5. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    When the belts were done I presume the water pump bearing was turned to see if the pump was ok, idler bearing for that belt? Also, maybe you have the exhaust air injection valves leaking, sometimes they corrode internally, or rot out on the bottom where one can't see and make some oddd noises. In my car, I thought I had a dropped valve or something horrible but it was the air valve on one side that looked good but had rotted internally with a pinold leak on the bottom out of view making a surprising racket.