What are my Main bearings telling me | FerrariChat

What are my Main bearings telling me

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by DoubleD33, Jan 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    Not a Ferrari but my 67 E Type 4.2.

previous owner had a rebuild done a few thousand miles ago but almost 10 years have passed.

While doing a tear down to inspect and work on oil leaks I noticed these bearings seem to look a little off.

They are .010 over and it appears the crank was ground and polished with the rebuilding. The crank looks very smooth and no ridges on it.

Are there any issues with these bearings and what is the corrective action if there is.

I have Mic’d the journals and compared them to spec and to each other and they seem to all be the same 2.740.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Those look pretty damn good I would say. She may need a line hone, and a bit more attention paid to accessory belt tension..but over all there is almost nothing to be concerned about. That's my very humble opinion based on pictures posted on the internet..

DoubleD33 and INTMD8 like this.
  3. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I don't see any alarming issues here. The color difference could be assembly related.
    The color difference could be start up starvation from sitting for long periods.
    I would replace them and check the clearances as you reassemble.
    Measuring the main saddles and make sure the bore channel is straight. Measuring everything is most important. EVERYTHING! Gets measured and checked. Only then doe sit get cleaned again and assembled.

DoubleD33 and INTMD8 like this.
  4. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    @tbakowsky and @MerlinTech thank you for your comments.

my main concern was the color difference. I will have it checked for line alignment.

I should add when tearing down the crank spun well with no rods attached. Not too hard and not too easy.

I have not been into an engine in about 15 years so this has been refreshing.

Thanks again

5. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas