What is "normal" throttle feel on a TR? | FerrariChat

What is "normal" throttle feel on a TR?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by xplodee, Jan 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Hey All-

Car is in storage but been thinking about this topic. What is the normal throttle feel for a TR? I've always felt that my throttle feels a bit stiff, and I'm curious if that's normal or indication that I may need to service or lubricate something. The throttle doesn't stick at all, but it takes a bit more force than I find normal to engage.

The TR is my only ferrari so I'm not familiar with normal throttle feel for a Ferrari, let alone a vintage one or specifically for a TR. Hope someone with lots of TR experience can chime in here.

T

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, Jan 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    I had to lubricate my acc cable recently (there is a severe 90 deg bend where it goes from the center tunnel up to the engine). Also, there are a bunch of ball and socket joints in the throttle linkage at the engine that should be lubed occasionally, plus the acc pedal mechanism has some roller bearings and a clevis pivot that need to be lubed, too.

The geometry of the linkage for lifting it off the idle position isn't great, so does take some force, but "stiff" sounds a bit worse.

Natkingcolebasket69 and xplodee like this.
  3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Sometimes more than just lubed. The factory used white lithium grease on all those points when the cars were built and it has long since become very hard and gooey. If not previously done all those points need to be cleaned of the white grease and relubed to make it work really well.

4. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    xplodee likes this.
  5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Good tool. I was thinking of posting that picture.

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    That's the one I used at the acc pedal end (did take a little modification). Doing anything at the engine end of the acc cable with the engine in place was a ***** ;)

7. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Great info, thank you guys. Fortunately I have that cable lube tool because I ride dirt bikes. Thanks all.

c4b4the04 likes this.
  8. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    One more quick point. It only takes one of the many joints to make it feel that way. I replaced the throttle cable on my 308 thinking this was the culprit, I figured it's 40+ years old and couldn't hurt to freshen up. Turned out to be one carburetor ball joint cap screwed in and secured by a small cotter pin was one position too tight. Small oops!