I made my own brake rotors | Page 2 | FerrariChat

I made my own brake rotors

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by lambertius, Aug 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #26 Ferrari55whoa, Jan 2, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2021
    And as a fellow NB MX5 owner....that’s why “miata is always the answer”! :cool:

lambertius likes this.
  2. lambertius

lambertius Rookie

Jan 15, 2020
    I love my MX-5 <3 I've got an SP https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_MX-5_(NB)#MX-5_SP_(2002) I got it a few years ago and spent a while fixing it up, then the Maserati was the next project. Now I'm looking for a 575 for when the Maserati is done! The SP will out perform my Maserati on a technical track with no effort, up to 120-140km/hr its in the same league but after that the V8 wins!

3. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #28 Ferrari55whoa, Jan 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2021

I will say while normalish brakes are inexpensive it felt like the longevity and heat control was better when I moved to rotors with hats rather than 1-piece. I know a lot of corvette guys don’t care cause rotors are so inexpensive and some of those guys replace a set after a track weekend.

I don’t want to thread hijack too much but on my 2000 miata at road america (as an example) I ran NASA TT and the mustangs and corvettes SMOKED me on the front uphill straight then I play the whole rest of the lap trying to catch up by the last corner and then smoked again. Then when I went turbo and added 10psi of boost I would stay with or pull them on the straights and after a race they would come over and say “what in the heck is going on”!!!! :cool: This photo isn't R.A in wisconsin but Sears Point/Infineon/now Sonoma Raceway from several years ago.

Attached Files:

Il Tifoso likes this.
  4. lambertius

lambertius Rookie

Jan 15, 2020
    This is my thread, I permit hijacking for sharing MX-5 goodness!

I want to get one of the coupe NBs from Japan and turn that into a pure track car... I found a good candidate recently...

Il Tifoso likes this.
  5. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #30 Ferrari55whoa, Jan 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    I will say I would not go turbo again I only did because that car was my first new car I ever bought and it’s never leaving.

Racing a turbo for 20 minute sessions it gets so hot and I never worried about burning to death prior. Naturally aspirated is the way to go because turbo and heat ads so much complexity as you address all the extra power and heat. I lost my brakes at the end of the main straight at blackhawk farm raceway in Illinois when my oil cooler like let loose and had to throw away my then brown racing suit. :cool:

Dealing with heat from racing a turbo took 3 different hood situations before I got it addressed. I had this goofball set up for awhile trying to get air in the blower/snout and out holes I had cut in other areas of the hood. The carbon fiber hood now in that prior photo does a good job pulling out heat.

If I was getting started racing I’d go Miata to get smooth and then graduate to corvette C5 and go from there based on budget.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Il Tifoso likes this.
  6. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
  7. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Dave when you are racing something so light and low you can probably put one of those MotoGP motorcycle pucks on the palm of your hand to slow down! That's real open wheel racin! I feel like we need FBB to post....... @fatbillybob

8. lambertius

lambertius Rookie

Jan 15, 2020
  9. lambertius

lambertius Rookie

Jan 15, 2020
    Bumping my old thread to see if anyone wants to get a set of rotors?

Long story short is that Brakes Direct in Queensland will keep rotors in stock to match the hats permanently - the rotors will be made by Forza Brakes. In order to do that, I need to place an order with them of three sets, and I've currently got two Maserati guys (one in Australia and one in the US) and am trying to find a third. Once an order is placed, then the rotors will be an off the shelf product for the forseable future!

It works out to be ~$3300AUD + shipping. Possibly a little less depending on specifics.

Anyway, thought I would share in case it helps out someone here!

white out likes this.
  10. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    lambertius, I may have missed it, but what is the weight difference between your two piece and the stock 1 piece?

These are about $1k more than stock rotors, with the weight savings, heat control and lower cost to replace rotor rings in the future make it seem like a good option.

11. lambertius

lambertius Rookie

Jan 15, 2020
    I don't remember exactly but from the CAD files:

Front OEM - 11.8kg
    Front Assembly - 10.5kg

Rear OEM - 9.8kg
    Rear Assembly - 7.5kg (or 10kg)

I recall these were within ~100 grams when I weighed them.

There are a few things to note though.

I could've made the front rotor lighter but intentionally chose not to. The actual rotor itself is directionally vented and has a narrower airgap so there is more material than a pillar design, and therefore a higher thermal mass. This was to give a bit more 'working time' before you would overheat road pads which is a complaint people have with the Maserati just for hard driving on the road (I imagine it would be worse on the 550/575). I was able to do an introductory track day with no issues on road pads (2 laps, 5 minute pit, repeat for a few hours) which is a good comparison for going hard on a rural road. I calculated that you've got about ~15 minutes max of driving 10/10ths before you would cook road pads and would need track pads. Anyway, getting back on the main point the front could be lighter but I thought I would try and address a known complaint.

With the rear the weight difference is if you order an aluminum or steel hat. If you're worried about accidentally leaving the handbrake up you should definitely get the steel hat because the aluminum will warp if you let the handbrake drag. You don't get the weight advantage, but you still get cheaper replacement rotors that are better quality and better thermal control around the wheel hub with a two-piece.

The rotors themselves will be $399AUD per front and $349AUD per rear, or $1496AUD for a set. About $1000USD today for a replacement set. My goal with this was really to improve the sustainability for maintenance with the cars in the long term (I think if you're doing regular track days it will pay off by the first set of replacement rotors). And if it makes any difference, Forza Brakes are used in the Australian Supercar series by a lot of the teams, these are the same product. It sits above the OEM rotors for a reasonable price compared to the quality difference I think and it is less than half the price of doing some of the big front brake kits I've seen. Braking torque isn't an issue for the Maserati (can't comment on the 550/75 yet) so it seems a bit wasteful to me compared to just some quality rotors and pads.

white out likes this.
  12. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    That's significant.
    10lbs off the rear and nearly 6lbs off the front for unsprung & rotational mass.

13. lambertius

lambertius Rookie

Jan 15, 2020
    Every little bit adds up!

white out likes this.
  14. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I have really enjoyed this thread - thanks guys!….and I’m embarassed how long it’s been since I’ve had a rip in the MX5

15. lambertius

lambertius Rookie

Jan 15, 2020
    Easy problem to solve...