430 - F1 gearbox annoyances | FerrariChat

430 F1 gearbox annoyances

Discussion in '360/430' started by Gillis Haasnoot, Dec 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gillis Haasnoot

Gillis Haasnoot Karting

Feb 4, 2020
    Leiden, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Gillis Haasnoot
    Hello. I just recently purchased a 2006 f430 F1 with 40k miles.
    For some years I am driving a Maserati 4200 with the same gearbox.
    I noticed some annoying differences in my f430.
    On the f430 when I slowly accelerate and shift up at low rpm, let's say 3k, the car slightly blips. Just a tiny bit, but it feels a bit odd. It's like when you shift in a manual car, but not release the accelerator enough. Is this normal? It seems to be creating unnecessary slip.

Second. When I accelerate full throttle I smell and see smoke coming from the clutchplate occasionally. I did some tunnel accelerations today and it was clearly visible between the hard shifts.

Third. With the f430 it feels that I have to press the accelerator deeper to get the car going forward/backward starting from a still position. There is much more slip. And creates the feeling that the f430 weights twice as much as the Maserati (which is of course not the case at all)

And the last point is that I noticed two times that the gearbox had some difficulties selecting the first gear from neutral. You hear these gearbox lever clicks a couple of times more than normal. In both cases it succeeded after 1 or 2 retries. This happened just twice in the 1000 miles I drove last 2 weeks.

My Maserati from 2002 with 100hp less, a 30k old clutch and an older TCU doesn't have these annoyances at all. It's shifts a bit slower, but feels somehow better.
    The clutch of the f430 got replaced about 3k miles ago. Car drives amazing.
    Keen to hear some options.

2. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Ummm if your clutch is slipping that bad you have problems.

armedferret likes this.
  3. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Take your car to your local dealer or a reputable Ferrari mechanic and have them adjust the clutch properly ASAP.
    Your clutch needs adjustment big time.

Anytime you slip the clutch, anytime you see smoke you are burning your clutch and shortening its life.
    I say dont drive it until you get your clutch adjusted properly.

jag-oo-r and Flyingbrick242 like this.
  4. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    Has the accumulator ever been replaced? Low hydraulic system pressure can cause all kinds of F1 gearbox issues, the F430 accumulator is a wear part. You can also install scud inc relay to detect faults in system. Maybe even relay is gone bad over time.

honda corse likes this.
  5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Where was it replaced? Could it be it was never setup properly? I would have the place that did the clutch connect a diagnosis tool to the car and look at the parameters. A skilled eye will see exactly what is going on from the numbers ..clutch setup wrong , bad pressures , etc

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

6. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    new clutch $9k, just done it

7. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    As stated already. Get to a shop that has the proper diagnostic tools and a skilled tech to use them and have it checked. It is clear that the set up is all wrong.

whatheheck likes this.
  8. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Was the shop that replaced it local to you? Sounds like they definitely didn't do it properly. If it was done by a dealer I'd take it to them and ask them what they were drinking that day. Then ask them to make it right.