F8 or STO? | Page 40 | FerrariChat

F8 or STO?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dustman, Nov 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #976 Shadowfax, Dec 29, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    At this end of town there are only so many buyers at this level of spend regardless whether its Asia or where ever.

What you're suggesting is that all buyers are happy to continually throw good money in after bad. You are talking about an extreme minority there. Also with finance no longer as easy as it used to be has wiped out a lot of the usual suspects now, who were prepared to take risks on residual values holding up. Speculators have had their fingers burnt right off their hands. Resale values have already been impacted across the board. So many have already had their fingers burnt badly and are thinking twice about putting their hands back into the oven again. The world and market has changed big time. So much evidence of this now.

Ferrari may have got away with it once with the Pista debacle but to repeat that situation again - I just can't see it. You can only brown so many buyers off before everyone starts sitting up and paying attention. Most would already be paying attention as it is.

GT2goneF likes this.
  2. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    In USA Ferrari resales values are so strong. They crush every brand. An F8 VS will have some impact on that but not enough to hurt them much versus other brands. They sell 9-10k cars a year. Come on, man. There’s plenty of people who will replace any who drop. And if they actually limit the production, then it’s really no problem.

3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #978 Shadowfax, Dec 29, 2020
    I don't share your optimism. It simply doesn't match up with today's realities. You speak as if there is an endless stream of buyers willing to write a cheque for 500K+ and lose at least half of it a year or 2 later .....and then keep jumping back on the same ride. Good luck with that one. Even the finance companies have revised their position on residual values as they know the values are basically anyone's game now on these excessively high priced cars.

I note even Reviewers on evos pcoty were struggling to find the winner out of cars ranging from 50K to 850K. Cars have evolved to such level now one does not even need to spend a lot of money to get a car that can keep pace in a fun type driving environment with cars of far higher value....and, are now being found equally if not more pleasing and engaging to drive. Another discussion altogether, but relevant where it comes to spending huge money only lose a very big chunk of it in a very short space of time.

09Scuderia likes this.
  4. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

You sure 100% not having seen any FS VS Mules ? What if the 4.0 TT of the SF90 goes in . You cant see that ? What if if its a limited number without the GPF ? Maybe they want a limited number to say good bye ? Is the SF90 different yes is the LB different yes. If i was at Ferrari and seeing what Mac and Lambo is doing and what Porsche has always done , why not ? Logic says it will happen.

Pista went on sale while 488 orders were still being taken. F8 was revealed and a few months after i got my 488 GTB.

No one here knew about an intermediate model of the F8 when I was ready to place my order. Gee not even the Pista owners knew that.

IMO the LB will be late 2021. The F8 VS will be released. Lets see if it happens ?

5. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    You also forgot to mention that they also put the holy grail engine of the Pista in the F8.....

Probably not the nicest thing to do their customers who waited forever for the Pista!!

May the Horse be with you

GT2goneF likes this.
  6. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Yup

7. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I like it how McLaren are only doing 765 x 765LT’s

That is something to behold as a rare piece.

8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #983 Shadowfax, Dec 29, 2020
    But logic says it will not happen along with many reliable sources.

I don't suppose you can link up or show any potential spy pics or vids? All the vids I've seen/ heard depict an F8/488 body with an engine sound and ride height hardly befitting any form of special version. In fact all the vids with audio show silent operation along with a very muted engine when it kicks in. The fact no spy pics or info have come to the surface indicate there is no LW version.

GT2goneF likes this.
  9. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    They are going to also make a F8 VS Pilota and make sure every one of their Customers rebuys the car.

GT2goneF likes this.
  10. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Yeah I'm sure Pilota owners would be thrilled about the prospect!

11. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I don't know about this. If they place the SF90 engine into the F8 VS, you will have a serious amount of Ferrari owners very pissed off, much more than when the Pista engine went into the F8. Because there is a significant delta gap in price between the SF90 and F8 and nobody or very few, will pay SF90 money for the F8 VS.
    Another point is that Ferrari has released a massive amount of vehicles in a very short period of time, the most in their history and probably in car history altogether. I think they are realizing that the ICE with or without Turbo are coming to an end and they are pushing out vehicles out like families procreating in the 1940's. I don't see them creating another one. They are crunching too many in such a small period of time that they will dilute the value of their resale market which keeps the dealerships alive. This is where they really make their money. If you didn't know, in order for a dealership get one new vehicle allocation (for the dealer), they have to sell a certain amount of preowned vehicles.

12. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California

13. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    EVO COTY......amazing how the Lambo RWD places top 3, the Mc 765lt also, and M2 CS wins. Brilliant showing for Lambo, and is a ray of hope for the STO.
    F8 didnt make the cut.

Shack likes this.
  14. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

I hear what you are saying. I just cant discount it and time will tell. FWIW I actually dont have any interest in it as without a doubt if it happens it will have swags of carbon.

15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Do you really think anyone is cross shopping an F8 and an M2?

You know I was gonna buy that Ferrari of my dreams but EVO says the M2 is better so I’ll head to the Bimmer dealership.

Gh21631, WM458 and GT2goneF like this.
  16. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    LOL!!!

17. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Watch the program in case they answer it for you. I dont own Evo, so couldn’t tell ya!

18. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    My point is I don’t need to watch it. It’s a meaningless comparison. You cannot judge a car of the year when on car is 10x the price of another. It’s not the same target audience. Compare like cars. Compare the F8 to the lambo to the macca. Even then- these journalists are idiots. I don’t trust anything they have to say.

WM458 and Thecadster like this.
  19. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    20+ years of COTY isn’t for everyone.
    For those with ample means and wealth but not time, these are wonderful and fun overviews that allow us to dabble, regardless of brand and price. Purely for the love of cars and the different thrills they provide.
    As a “time-buyer”, I will cross an M2CS with the Alpine and 911tts, etc all day.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  20. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Call of the thread!!!

I just finished watching it.... how about....

I’d take the Toyota over the F8....

Yeah sure!!!

21. Mortarion

Mortarion Karting

Jun 6, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Jase
    Dealer stated STO wont be specifically limited but thinks production numbers will be around 1400. Anyway, paid my deposit and thinking of going with this spec. Could change black calipers with yellow and remove stickers or go gloss black with standard wheels to save some money..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

WM458, Spider68, Gh21631 and 2 others like this.
  22. WM458

WM458 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2014
    Germany
    Ha, That’s a good point. ;)
    I remember he precisely predicted every new model from 2019 until now far in advance.
    The question is: Where is @ferr9000?

23. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #998 Shadowfax, Dec 30, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
    Yes i noted how they collectively said the evo was so much better than all the other huracan variants it was like an entirely different car. If STO is better again then it will be a winner.

I also enjoyed the review and saw it for what it was - which was comparing the cars for what they were able to deliver in fun factor rather than getting overly caught up in how much they cost and the skin they wore, and, if they were worthy as being contenders at that level.
    It also went to show it isn't so much the price of the car or the badge on it which determines what makes it the more engaging and fun car to drive. For some exclusivity means more than how the car actually delivers but for others the exclusivity and price becomes secondary when it comes down to the actual drive and I respect that. These guys can also clearly drive a car as well and appeared fair and reasonable in their evaluations regardless of what they may be able to afford themselves. That said I did note one mentioned they were able to afford the more expensive cars and his take did not alter.

There are clearly some great driving cars being built these days. I doubt anyone is going to take a GR Yaris over an F8 if they were the same price but this wasn't the point nor the purpose of that review. However, it just goes to show how far some of these cheap cars have come to be able to mix it up at this level and come out on top. Scary really.

Also goes to show how the top end of the market has lost a lot of edge over the bottom end of the market now, when it comes to fun factor.

Caeruleus11, WM458 and ScrappyB like this.
  24. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Well a buddy is getting the AMG Project One (among a few other cars) and added the GR Yaris. So I guess maybe some do cross shop.

EVO has a group of really talented reviewers and I for one really liked this eCOTY - incredible footage of Scotland, brilliant video work and great content IMO

25. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Stickers are crazy money for something any local PPF guy could do for you IMO. Lambo seem to have also learnt from Ferrari how to charge for paint. If its a keeper I would go with whatever colour you like