Evo 2020 Coty - F8 Tributo 5th Place | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Evo 2020 Coty - F8 Tributo 5th Place

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by kepler, Dec 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Very kind of you... and that is a LOOOOOOOOOT of money for a Yaris. I'd rather spend it in the two tone triple later color on my Ferrari.

2. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Don't overlook which car you will also have to purchase to even get on the list for a Yaris GR e.g Supra (Z4)!

GT2goneF and Napoli like this.
  3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #53 Shadowfax, Dec 6, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
    Its not a lot of money for what we have to pay for in cars. Its actually very cheap even at 60 is ok optioned up. I recon if some of you Americans ever migrated here you asses would hit the deck when it comes to buying what you currenty own, in our country. I would put money most of you would not pay the price for a Ferrari here so the Yaris would all of a sudden take on a whole new meaning and level of attraction. By the time you’ve put a decent roof over your head some may not have enough for a Yaris GR even. You fellas have in very good in your parts when it comes to cars and house pricing. Count your blessings!

4. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I know what it is to live in an island. I was born and raised in one. I know what it is to pay over for something. Double taxed as well. Don't assume you are the only one that can walk the walk and talk the talk. Never assume, there will always be one to match your bet and then up one.

And I would never migrate my ass to Australia, too many dangerous creatures there. Never would go to Africa either. Heck, I don't even hike in the forest afraid that a bear or a mountain lion may be looking for me as dinner. Pass! Now, if you give me miles of roads, hills, curves and a scenery and I will make a beautiful memory.

And again, hard pass on the Yaris.

5. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    I share @shadoxfax's disappointment
    the new standards spawned the F8 then the SF90 stradale and we're not done!

IMHO I expect an emotional sports car to fall in love with her !

458 Speciale will stay with me for a long time!
    I hesitated to sell the Pista:
    without an Inconel exhaust I would have sold it a long time ago

I tried the F8 and the SF 90 stradale these cars are successful and efficient but do not trigger much emotion
    they are no longer a success technological than what made the reputation of the brand

So yes I confirm I understand Harry and Jethro in particular when they applaud and elect the M2 CS COTY !!!!

I ordered an M2 CS a year ago and after 2000 km I have no regrets!
    It has all the genes of the Motorsport department BMW maybe the best M!!!
    I nevertheless installed an Akrapovic exhaust to make it sound like BMW!
    on a daily basis what a pleasure to ride in such a successful compact sports car!

a Yaris GR is a very endearing little car
    it does not have a prestigious coat of arms but knows how to give us a broad smile on our face !!!
    so yes @Shadowfax may be excessive in his opinions but no one can take away his sincerity and his passion for sports cars
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Romaihi, mdrums, tekaefixe and 4 others like this.
  6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Oz is a pretty bloody big island / 6th largest country i see and whilst there will always be bigger fish who can more than afford, based upon the minimal depreciation you guys have vs oz owners dep levels and the level of moaning and reluctance to pay even your own car prices - which ive read on fchat- id reckon im pretty close to the money in my general ‘assumptions’ re how many of you would react.
    Oz is a very safe place in the wild - you need to relax and enjoy whats on offer here. Its incredible - best place on the planet from what ive seen in my travels. But the world is a very beautiful place so no right or wrong choice - up to a point.

7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Very well stated 458italia and thank you for your kind words!

ps love the new bimmer - the colour is very striking and the spec looks good with the CF. I like it a lot. Thumbs up!
    I have another car due in a similar type color to contrast the red cars.

458-Italia likes this.
  8. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Shadow is not being sarcastic. Just research his comments about the F8 over the last year. And now his hero, Chris Harris not only enthusiastically opines at how capable the F8 is on the track calling it sensational and better than the Pista but favoured the F8 over the SF90 stating by comparison it felt light, playful, fast and a pleasure to drive. Would opt for it over the SF90. Shadow quotes Harris when it corresponds with his preferences and ignores him when it does not.

9. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Ok I can man up and agree I’ve posted my dislike of the looks of the SF90 quite a bit. The fact it is 1000hp and all wheel drive I love!

I’ll make you a deal I will stop saying bad things about the looks of the SF90 if you will ease up on the F8.

IloveGT, mdrums and GT2goneF like this.
  10. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #60 Shadowfax, Dec 6, 2020
    Ok deal. Buddy we are all supposed to be enthusiasts here. Forgive me for my last post on socals thread as you wont like it - sorry just read this - but I promise to be less honest in future if it helps.:D Just want you to know I do still like the F8 a lot. It looks fantastic. And I'd definitely take it over an SF90 too - apologies to upcoming Sf90 owners in advance!

11. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    LOL and I will be less honest as well. :p

12. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I am not aware of any current super car that can be described as ugly or not extremely capable. They offer distinguishable aesthetic and driving dynamic personas and car enthusiasts have never before been this fortunate.

Cigarzman likes this.
  13. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Hmmm..... did you miss the Lexus Structural Blue fiasco ? :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    True... It is indeed a beautiful place and so are many. I am just not into traveling as much as others. I travel home and come back. I traveled a lot in my younger years.

With regards to your point of depreciation, etc. Yea, there are those who complain about costs and depreciation. I feel if you complain about cost and/or depreciation, you are getting the wrong thing. Cars, as a general rule, are not investments. And if they become investments, you won't know it for a long time. I spent Pista kind of money on my F8. Some may think it is stupid. Particularly avid Pista owners that for some reason have this bitter competition and incessant comparison when they are two completely different cars from the same maker. It is like arguing which of the two brothers is better. One can be an athlete and outgoing, the most popular guy and the other could be a more withdrawn, less socially noticed nice guy. However, they are both good and came from the same mother. I could have bought a Pista or an SF 90. I just didn't like either one of them for me. It isn't what I want nor what I am looking for. I just worry about myself. I hear what others say, filter and decide on what is worth keeping, learning and/or commenting. I am one on the positive side of things. Everything I bring, I always try to do with humor and a positive twist. I can discuss and I am open to discussion. I can accept opinions and other's point of view. You will never see me trying to force my view or opinion onto others. What I am not open to is arguing, having somebody shove their opinion or view onto me. I see that, I withdraw. There is already plenty of negative in the world to bring or take on more. Like I have said before, if I don't like what somebody has to bring, I just ignore and change the channel.

rpmtifosi likes this.
  15. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    #65 GT2goneF, Dec 6, 2020
    You can say what you want about the SF90. Let him bad mouth the F8. (For the record, he just said he thinks the F8 looks good) Who cares? You are entitled to your opinion as much as the next guy (or gal, have to be careful these days). I was initially attracted to the SF90 for the power and technology. That went out the window very quickly after I started analyzing its lines. My opinion is that the F8 is the most beautiful contemporary Ferrari out there along with the 812. This nonsense of having my opinion having more weight than anybody else's just because I own one car and not the other, is totally and utterly stupid. To some, the McLaren is their preferred, to others the Lamborghini. Like it has been said before, they are all great cars in their own right. I can admire them all and recognize their place within the car community without having to own one or the other or particularly want one over the other. There is a reason why there are so many car makers. Because everyone has a different view on what is beautiful or best. There is no one best car. There is no Holy Grail-Car. (If there were it would be the 918 Spyder. Just kidding!).

16. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    In my view the issue here is the extremely subjective nature of this test. EVO hated the Alfa 4C, I drove one and loved it, in fact I found much of what they did not like was not an issue for me. Its much the same as to how the UK press rate Corvettes, they do not understand the car, the market and the economics.

Would a GR Yaris get me out of bed at 5am to go for a drive, absolutely not but a F8 would. There is one problem though, usable performance, the Yaris you can use the performance much more than you can in a F8, 155 mph in a 488 was easy and I imagine the F8 makes that even easier, 125 mph in a Yaris, perhaps not as easy. The opportunities to exploit the power and performance of these cars are becoming fewer and fewer and I live in a place where high speeds are possible on the correct road with limited risk of being caught. Sure, we can have more power, greater handling but again how often can we drive the car fast enough to feel like we are exploiting it.

GT2goneF likes this.
  17. Ferrari 360 CS

Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Exactly this.

By the way Africa is not such a bad place!

GT2goneF likes this.
  18. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I was going to say.. I have read great things from the 4C. I like the car a lot, though have never had the pleasure to drive it. If it is close to what an M2 can do. Sign me up. I drove the M2 on the M course. It was my favorite car of all the M line. What a fun, responsive little beast. If I could, I would get one. I have no space.

19. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Alright. Let me specify. I am not interested in experiencing the wildlife first person, up close nor personal. I can get as close as I want on the TV. I have seen big cats and Rhinos charging the Safaris and it is not my cup of tea. They say it isn't that common. To me, one incident, even without any adverse outcome is too common already. In addition, I don't know you, but a vinyl house with a zipper as a lock doesn't make me feel safe, not even in my own back yard. I did all the radical camping I needed to do when I was in the Marine Corps and then, I have an M16. I am done with that kind of stuff. My adventure spirit is reserved for cars and roads these days.

20. Ferrari 360 CS

Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    My dear friend we have some amazing roads here and some equally amazing hotels! Mercedes launched the SLR here, Jaguar the XK did the same and might I suggest googling "Franschhoek Pass" I reckon a F8 would be fun along that piece of roads.

And I yes I would agree Safari's are not for me either ;)

21. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Well, I guess there is another one for me. I am planning to go to different countries and drive super cars there. I was going to go to Europe this upcoming Spring or Fall to drive in the Alps, (Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Italy and Lichenstein). COVID took care of that. I would also like to go to Croatia and drive along the coast. Looks like now I will also have to go to Africa.

Right now, I will settle for Colorado. That seems to be my 2021 drive.

Give me all the nice roads and scenery and I will make memories.

22. Big A

Big A Karting

Jan 21, 2015
    Australia
    I am not on here as often as some of the regulars but is it just me or does it appear more hostile on here as of late? Maybe its just the crazy year we have had. Also cant believe how much conflict the 458 has caused. Since the 458 has been replaced by the 488 and now F8 is has done nothing but cause arguments.
    I blame all disagreements here on F chat on the 458. :D

Reading this thread got me thinking how much of a persons impression of a car is down to its cost and financial impact relative to that persons financial position?
    When I was looking at replacing the 458 I first wanted the 812. Is the 812 a great car? No doubt. But it did not tick enough box's for me to commit to spending $800k on it. Keep in mind I am in Australia so I will compare based on our prices.
    So ended up with the performante. For me the Performante ticked enough box's to justify the $500k or so that I paid for it.

When someone say's that the Yaris is a better car than an F8 is that based on that persons perspective which is aligned with their financial position? In my financial position I couldn't justify spending $800k on a 812. Could I have afforded it? Sure if it had blown my mind. But it didn't deliver an extra $300k of excitement above the Performante. Now lets say all of a sudden I become a billionaire or even say a few hundred millionaire, then I am sure my impression of an $800k 812 would have been different than it was in my current position.

How much is a persons impression of something influenced by their financial position? If I had enough money to throw around and own the performante, 812 and F8 comfortably I am sure all of those cars would have been more impressive to me after a test drive. But since I cant, am I now more critical in my opinion of a car when driving it and expect a lot more for what I am paying?

I guess my point is that in my position the 812 did not meet my expectation for an $800k car. Add a few more zeros to my bank balance and the 812 is a car I would buy in a heartbeat for $800k. I believe your financial position would influence the amount of box's a car must tick in order to make it a buy. The more money you have the less box's a car must tick before it becomes good enough in your mind to buy.

Or maybe I have it all wrong and its just me. :confused:

LVP488, Coincid and GT2goneF like this.
  23. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Agreed. If you are a $B, then why worry about anything other than "oh i want it just bc" and you get it and then either you like it and keep it or you dont and you forget you own it :)

Big A likes this.
  24. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    I think people are being a tad immature about the Evo COTY, it's not an actual 'money no object which is the most sports car' kind of list. It's a subjective p4p type of ranking and has always had intresting and quirky cheaper cars thrown in the mix.

The yaris is an incredible car for what it is, all the other manufacturers in this sector are churning out dull cars whereas the GR is a true 4wd rally style car with many motorsport components (apprently the profit margin is extremely low on each car) this is clearly a drivers car intended to grab the attention of true enthusiasts.

On another popular forum I frequent (pistonheads) people squabble and have squabbled about every single car for the last 10 years. the yaris gr has been the first car ive seen where it's actually united the forum in praise!

25. 512tr1992

512tr1992 Karting

Jan 5, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    I think i can predicri CAR's performance car of the year 2020 list.
    1. F8 Tributo
    2. 718 Cayman GTS
    3. 765LT
    4. Huracan EVO RWD
    5. 911Turbo S