Nice low miles vetro GTB for sale | FerrariChat

Nice low miles vetro GTB for sale

Discussion in '308/328' started by kiwiokie, Dec 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Aus_yz likes this.
  2. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I would consider selling mine at that price!

3. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Then my car, which is far superior, should sell for $ 600,000 !!! lol

4. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Add another 20,000 before you can drive it .

Thank you

5. JuLiTrO

JuLiTrO Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    Julio Saiz
    Lovely untouched unit. Went through all photos, great presentation!

I believe it is a nice benchmarking for anyone facing a restoration to authentic condition

6. SJP 5

SJP 5 Karting

Jun 7, 2015
    I stand to be corrected,but should the reversing lights be in the rear bumper and not in the indicators on vetro and early GTB's or is that US specs' that differ from my UK car?

7. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    GLWS.....pity its not 2015 anymore

BigTex likes this.
  8. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    yes, they differ.

9. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    Or, you could go to Bill Noon's SYMBOLIC MOTORS and buy a 1976 blk/blk vetro for $139K with 35K mi on the clock. On BAT a couple of weeks ago the bidding on it stopped at $108K so it's back at their store. It would seem reasonable therefore to think that the real price in today's market for a 308 GTB vetroresina is somewhere between $108K and $139K, depending I suppose on whether you're buying or selling.

10. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

The Euro Vetroresina has the reverse lights in the bumper. The US Vetroresina nor the early US steel 308s had this feature. Side markers are different, round vs rectangular, and the bumpers are larger on the US version.

11. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I will never understand the hype about vetro GTBs. If a vetro car not only weighed 60-75lbs less and had 30bhp more, then I think I might get it, but the only difference I've ever noticed between a 'like for like' steel vs vetro GTB is in fact a tune-up.

Thomas Magnum likes this.
  12. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Not that I’m in the market for one but two things for me that make the vetro more desirable:

1/ it’s as the car was designed to be before production realities made Ferrari change to an all-steel body

2/ because the body is molded in ‘glass and not stamped in steel (with its minimum bend/corner radii and other requirements) the body creases appear sharper on the vetro cars. This is especially noticeable on metallic paint cars, or at least in my imagination ;-)

edit: oh, and any weight reduction, if real

13. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Having owned both the Vetro and Steel bodied versions, in stock form I can tell you that there is a noticeable difference in looks and performance. The challenge is, 40 years on, that most of these cars have been modified to the point that the performance gap has been substantially narrowed.

Ferraripilot likes this.
  14. SJP 5

SJP 5 Karting

Jun 7, 2015
    Thank you for the info' on the differences.

15. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Sadly, I've only ever driven one vetro GTB, years ago when I still lived in Las Vegas, it was a US car. I changed the timing belts/performed a major service and rejetted the carbs with a wideband. These engines run really nice with a 140 main, 200 air corrector, and 55 idle, F36 emulsion tube btw. I compared it to my steel 76, which was bone stock as well making it was a true 'like for like' comparison. I did indeed notice the steering was a touch sharper with the glass car, maybe a hair faster as well. I later felt the same sensations on my steel car when I exchanged the US bumpers for Euro bumpers, which is a bit more dramatic loss in weight but the point was demonstrated fairly. I think that might be the best way to put it. A US vetro GTB is like an early steel GTB, but with Euro bumpers, which in my case removed a measured 85-90lbs, can't recall the exact figure. Still, I could only ever get my 308 down to the low 2800lbs

308gts79 likes this.
  16. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I dont like fiberglass 308s , Im glad they switched to steel early on. For the street, carbon fiber, fiberglass chassis. shells or whatever, even on a motorcycle are useless, should only be saved for race cars , bikes . The only exception is the F40 and I believe its a kevlar, aluminum , carbon fiber mix. even at 100 k , my car, or lets say Mike Tuason s 308 should be worth 200 k if thats the case. That 285k can buy you a sweet 328 and an F430 lol

Thank you

ragtop1 and Du_Man like this.
  17. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Wonderful interior, I wonder who did the seats??

As folks are posting this is a North American 'glass car.
    One of the "old 100".....

18. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    Hi, is this car missing the exhaust diaper or any of the mesh metal in the rear?

19. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

It states that the interior is original, which makes sense given the mileage.

20. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    Buy a vetroresina because: a) fewer made/imported, thus they are rarer; b) their bodies will not rust, though the frames will just like steel ones; c) but, as for weight advantage, the average 60-75 lbs saved, depending on each individual example, is hardly worth twice the price that some have mentioned--by removing the ancient/inefficient A/C system together with non-original dealer installed audio system you've more than saved any weight advantage initially perceived. Early cars, regardless of fiberglass or steel bodies, exhibit equal performance characteristics. Additionally, if weight is still a negative factor--with either model--just get rid of that 150 lb rare earth p.o.s. and install a nice mellow exhaust system, you'll not only loose weight but much unwanted heat around those four fuel filled Webers. Lastly, if anyone has a nice early steel GTB please let me know. I miss the one I shouldn't have sold years ago and want to replace it asap.

JuLiTrO and Du_Man like this.
  21. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    I agree... or a nice front engine V12

22. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    It looks like a toy in that picture on top.