87 GTS issues | FerrariChat

87 GTS issues

Discussion in '308/328' started by J-Boy, Oct 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. J-Boy

J-Boy Rookie

Sep 4, 2016
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Good afternoon Gents,
    I will try and keep this short and sweet but I'm looking for help diagnosing a problem with my car after the belts were changed.
    My mechanic just recently changed the Water pump, AC ,and Alternator on my car after they were just shredded off recently. He was able to change the all the belts except the AC belt , said it was too big. I bought it from Ricambi so I was surprised that it was wrong the size.
    Anyway since i got it back the car has no power in between gears , it almost feels like it wants to stall out if I'm driving, it has a delay in it now and it sounds like trash. He said it over heated on the test drive and had to change a relay fore the fans. Wondering if you guys have any suggestions or thoughts ........

2. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    #2 ragtop1, Oct 30, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    overheated ? Hopefully, he didn't damage the heads, This could be serious., sorry to say,

3. J-Boy

J-Boy Rookie

Sep 4, 2016
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    That was my fear !

4. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Maybe a compression check would be a good idea ? Will the mechanic take responsibility for the overheating and motor damage ?With that being said, whats the story with the water pump, sounds like your car was fine before he replaced it, was it brand new ? or a rebuilt unit. I have always replaced mine with a brand new water pump and never ever had my car over heat , in 20 years and 100,000 miles. I hope you get it fixed without being a nightmare.

Thank you

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You ... need a new mechanic. Was he new to Ferrari, old ones?

thorn likes this.
  6. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Was he not watching the temp gauge? You need more details about the test drive. And, you need to confirm that the belts were installed properly.

For that matter, I'd confirm the car actually has sufficient coolant in it.

7. J-Boy

J-Boy Rookie

Sep 4, 2016
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    The water pump was brand new..... he was only changing the belts that broke off recently. My car was running before the belts let go.

8. J-Boy

J-Boy Rookie

Sep 4, 2016
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    He is a Ferrari mechanic but looks like I need a new one for sure now

9. J-Boy

J-Boy Rookie

Sep 4, 2016
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I would have thought he would have noticed the temp Guage as well and I have a suspicion the belts were not installed properly.

When I checked it at home there was not enough coolant in it ..... but I was hoping for the best

10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    are you going to do the work or will you ship it off to someone else at this time?

11. J-Boy

J-Boy Rookie

Sep 4, 2016
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I will ship it off to my original Ferrari Mechanic so I know it will be done right.

12. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If the system was not bled off all its air, it is possible in some engines to have the water temp sensor dry, ie no water passing over it, so if the engine is overheating due to lack of coolant flow the sensor will not warn of high water temp. Given that the pump was changed ??

13. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    It's crucial for any car to be bled properly when you drain the coolant; I'm wondering if he didn't. You've got to get the engine up to operating temp, and keep the coolant filled as needed during the process.

14. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Like Thorn says, you need to be sure the air is out- with the rads in the front and the engine in the rear it takes a lot of bleeding. There is a good video in the 430 section where the owner has the front wheels on blocks and the rear of the car jacked right up in the air.
    He needs the blocks under the front wheels so he can get to the radiator drain plugs when he jacks up the rear, otherwise he could not get to them.
    The pipes from radiators run under the floor and probably have no fall in them so could trap air,, hence the tipping angle helps with the bleeding of air back to the engine.

15. J-Boy

J-Boy Rookie

Sep 4, 2016
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Thanks guys.... I actually just spent the afternoon bleeding it off before I read your post just in case there were some air locks and the car is running much better now.
    Im not getting any heat so thats what led me to believe the thermostat or something is not opening for some reason. I think like you said he never bled it off properly.
    Plus I remember seeing him pulling 2 plugs out and I'm wondering if that may have thrown the timing off as well.

16. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Reading the original post, it was just aux belts changed and not timing belts ? Valve timing will be altered if timing belts put back wrong.spark plugs have nothing to do with ignition timing.
    put a pair of trolley jacks under the back of the car and see if that helps getting any air out.

17. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Would not effect timing but if he put the plugs wires back on wrong......

18. J-Boy

J-Boy Rookie

Sep 4, 2016
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I opened the bleeder valve on the rad and there was another plug to let the air out.

19. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Its hard to believe he gave you the car back in that shape.

20. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    There should only be one bleeder valve, the other one is probably for draining coolant but that’s on the bottom of the road. Can you take pic?

21. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    There's also a coolant bleed screw on the 328 thermostat housing.

22. J-Boy

J-Boy Rookie

Sep 4, 2016
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Sure I will send a pic

23. J-Boy

J-Boy Rookie

Sep 4, 2016
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Hi Steve I opened that up as well. Im wondering if the thermostat is done seeing as I can't get any heat out of the car?