308 Fuse Cover Decals | FerrariChat

308 Fuse Cover Decals

Discussion in '308/328' started by TurtleFarmer, Oct 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    Hoping for some help from the community: I'm going to have a run of decals made that indicate the purpose and amp ratings of the fuse blocks and need help confirming that I've effectively captured the myriad of diff't versions.

As many of you know, I've made an upgraded fuse block design that uses modern blade fuses (fchat link). It doesn't accept the original fuse block cover and there were requests for a new designed cover to support it. The cover design is completed but now I need to create the decals.

From my internet scouring, Paul Bennet wiring diagrams and other conversations, I've come up with five different flavors. Can you folks take a look and let me know what I've missed? Ideally, it would be accompanied by both the year/model/market as well as a photo of the original decal.

Thanks,
    Jason

Here's what I've got so far (sorry for the eye chart...make sure to put on your reading glasses :) ):
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    Oh, and first articles of the final cover design are back from the manufacturer. As much as I didn't think the design needed a cover (it doesn't from a safety perspective), it actually looks pretty good. Also, those "decals" are just straight from the printer and taped on...the actual ones will be vinyl.

And without the cover:

rjlloyd likes this.
  3. built2grind

built2grind Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
    Sign me up Jason! I’m in for the covers and stickers once final design is manufactured.

4. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    Not sure if I ordered that today but would love to get it too...James in SF ;)

5. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    Andrew, James...of course. When they're ready, you're the first on the list :)

RamsHmb likes this.
  6. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    My 85 Euro is different than your examples; I'll post images tonight.

TurtleFarmer likes this.
  7. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
  8. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    @thorn Super helpful. Thank you so much. It's been a real struggle to understand how these circuit assignments changed over the years and the spec (NA vs Euro), particularly with tons of different sources.

Few conclusions across all the years (using L1-L9 for the white left hand fuse block and R1-R9 for the black right hand fuse block):
    - NA spec included Seat Belts and Electrovalves on L2, Euro spec didn't specify them (Euro spec cars didn't have a seat belt warning system nor the emissions electrovalves, right?).
    - NA spec had a Rear Defrost circuit on L4 and Heater+AC Fans on L5. The Euro spec didn't have a Rear Defrost and put the Heater Fan on L4 and AC Fan on L5.
    - Left vs right window motors have been super confusing, but I think I've got it sorted. It *seems* that all models up to 1979 had RH window switch on L8 and LH switch on L9, while all models from 1980 onwards switched that (LH - L8, RH - L9). This is frustratingly confused by Euro vs NA wire colors differences starting in 1980. Prior to 1980, the left side window power was on a white w/black stripe and the right side window power was on a blue w/black stripe--regardless of Euro vs NA. However, it seems starting in 1980 onwards, Euro spec kept the white w/black wire on L9, but routed it to the right hand window switch (and similarly kept the blue w/black on L8 but routed to the left hand window switch). The NA spec harness swapped the blue w/black stripe to L9 and kept it routed to the right hand window switch (and vice versa on the left side). In other words, after 1980, both Euro and NA spec swapped the left/right window assignment from prior years but only the NA spec swapped the wire color going to the fuse block.
    - The Euro spec fog lights were put on R6 for vehicles up to 1979, on R5 for 1980 & 1981, and on R4 for 1982 and onwards. Did the NA spec support fog lights?
    - License plate circuit was split between R5 & R6 in the early GT4. It was put on R7 for the mid- to late-1970s and at some point in the late-1970's onwards was located on R6

@thorn Do you think it's possible that your left hand fuse cover (the top one) had a different decal applied to the front at some point? While your fuse ratings are as I'd expect for 1985 (16-8-16-16-16-16-16-16-16), the load descriptions look more like a 1978/79 Euro spec. Specifically, the window motor descriptions match pre-1980 (RH - L8, LH - L9). Also, the fact that the load description decal is not lined up with the fuse rating decal (unlike the other cover) makes me suspect it was replaced. All references that I have indicated that a 1985 should have LH window motor on L8 and RH window motor on L9. I know you've got your hands full this weekend trying to figure out your car's mysterious cut out issues...but it'd be super helpful if at some point you could just disconnect the bottom connector at L9 and see which window stops working (I'm guessing it will be the right hand side). I'm also guessing it's a white w/black wire.

9. drrick308

drrick308 Rookie

Feb 14, 2012
    Salem, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Dr. Rick
  10. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    @drrick308 Wow...those pictures look so great! Thanks!

And I've got you down for covers/decals once they are avail!

11. greg288

greg288 Karting

May 28, 2007
    Wow Jason!

I was with you on thought of not needing a cover but now that I see what you've come up with, I have to agree, it looks very nice and will be helpful for quick identification.

Please put me down for one ('77 GTB NA)

Thanks for all you are doing for us! Greg.

12. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I suppose anything is possible, but both covers look identically original.

No worries - checked it directly. The fuse labels do indeed match their fuse assignments; RH on L8, LF on L9. Also, the wire under L9 is black/white; under L8, it's blue.

13. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    @thorn sincere thanks for checking it out. Of course, now I'm thoroughly confused :). At least the wire color matches what I'd expect for an '85 Euro.

Unfortunately I don't have a 1985 Euro Owner's manual reference, but here's the snapshot from an '81 Euro

And an '82 Euro
    I believe I have the wiring schematic for an 85 Euro Owner's Manual, however. Here's a snapshot with the L9 circuit highlighted.

(goes the switch labeled 95, which is the right hand window switch)

Attached Files:

14. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    Any other 83-85 QV Euro spec owners out there that can take a quick look at their owner's manuals? Which window is listed as being controlled by the left fuse fuse box 9th fuse circuit (L9). It should be on page 101 or 102...

15. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    There's a problem with yours, mate - the plastic over the Pompa Benzina is smooth and clear. It should be a little melty and brown.

TurtleFarmer, thorn and rjlloyd like this.
  16. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Btw. In the 308gt4 WSM. Some of the Fuses listed don’t match the amps on the fuse cover.

17. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
  18. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    And in some cases the actual wire colors dont match the wiring diagram.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

19. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
  20. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    @absostone Your fuse box covers match my records for the fuses on a Series 2 GT4 (same fuse ratings for the GTB/GTS), but I know yours is a Series 1 ('75).

So I'd guess one of two things:
    - Both the OM and WSM have the wrong fuse ratings for the early GT4 (series 1)
    - The factory or PO put a set of later GT4 fuse covers on your vehicle

21. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    No Biggie to me, just thought Id show you that. The car runs GOOD. FYI your BOX was installed by installing all the lower legs first which gives more wire length prior to being mounted. Then to do the upper (FEED) wires there is room to drop the block into the slot in the glovebox floor while supporting from below to push the upper wires into the connectors. Then be sure the upper wires are free and clear from the backside , then mount the BOX

22. skipgt4

skipgt4 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    GR Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles VDB
    Please add me to the list for covers.
    USA 1978 308GTS

23. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Whats the price for the cover?

24. drrick308

drrick308 Rookie

Feb 14, 2012
    Salem, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Dr. Rick
    absostone likes this.
  25. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    It looks good. My car is up on the lift for winter. But im gonna get it down and try it out on the GT4. I hope there is no issue with the metal lip in the floor of the glove box.