Do dealers make more on consignment than dealership owned cars? | FerrariChat

Do dealers make more on consignment than dealership owned cars?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 96redLT4, Oct 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I am curious how the business model works. I stopped by my closest Ferrari dealer to check out a couple of V12s. Beautiful facility. Friendly attractive hostess offering capuccino and access to the immaculate restroom. 7 to 8 cars on the showroom floor which the manager said were all on consignment. No service facility as they share one with other dealerships in the group. How does a business like this work and make money?

2. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I'm not sure what Ferrari dealers charge on consignment, but when we take a car in on consignment we generally make about the same as we would had we bought the car but without putting up a dollar...so it's a deal for the dealer, the buyers have more confidence in the seller, and the actual seller doesn't have to do much besides say yes/no when an offer comes in.

96redLT4 likes this.
  3. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Dealers make a lot on some cars, lose some - or even a lot - on some cars, and make a little on most cars.

Margins are nowhere near what most people think.

And if it wasn’t for used cars, there would be no new car dealerships: The margins on used cars are generally higher than on new cars.

And a Toyota dealership is generally going to be more profitable than a Ferrari dealership.

Friend of mine had franchise Chevy/Cadillac dealership once and has had several cheap used car lots. He said the cheap used car lots made more $$$.

He said “I can make $2000 on a $7000 car and sell 5 of them, while I am trying to make $2000 on
    a $30,000 BMW trade in.”

tres55 and 96redLT4 like this.
  4. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Range on consignment is 5-8% depending on price sold, desirability, dealer etc.

I suspect it’s about the same for Ferrari dealers to consign or sell used cars. New different animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

96redLT4 likes this.
  5. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Ferrari dealers' gross margin percentage and dollars on a new car sold at msrp (as they virtually all are in the USA) is far higher than their margin points on a consigned car (they charge anywhere from 4-8% and then pay out advertising and commissions at min out of that).

But many Ferrari dealers sell many times more used/consigned cars than they get new car allocations.

So in aggregate dollar profit terms, they likely make more on used/consignment sales in total.

(fwiw, this topic and related topics come up regularly here and if you want more info, use the search function and you should see some lengthy threads on this topic)

EnzoItaly and 96redLT4 like this.