1995 355 cold start smoke | FerrariChat

1995 355 cold start smoke

Discussion in '348/355' started by Michael Burgoyne, Aug 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Michael Burgoyne

May 5, 2020
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hey guys,

I dropped my stock 1995 355 off at a shop to have test pipes and Capristo exhaust installed. The mechanic went to show me the sound and decided it was ok to rev the car while the engine was still cold, there was a lot off smoke coming out! I asked the owner of the shop and he said that he's sorry the mechanic did that, and that when you rev a cold engine it can cause blow-by smoking, plus the pipes were new. Now I'm really concerned about the level of smoke coming out, and wondering if something could have been damaged from cold revving the engine?

Here's the video, let me know what you all think??

2. Kokose7en

Kokose7en Karting

Dec 5, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    Test pipes have any coating on it? Ceramic?

3. Michael Burgoyne

May 5, 2020
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Not sure on the coating, however they're Tubi test pipes.

4. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    The exhaust doesn’t look new though is it a used item? It shouldn’t be smoking if it’s used. The test pipes might cause some but not like that.

Didn’t think the revving was that bad until the end. I would never rev a cold engine like that. The smoke does seem excessive.

5. Michael Burgoyne

May 5, 2020
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The Capristo muffler was used, the test pipes were new.

6. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    That’s what I gathered. So the smoke would hardly be attributed to the test pipes in my opinion. Being a 95 have the valve guides been done, compression and leak down performed recently?

7. Michael Burgoyne

May 5, 2020
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Valve guides were recently done and leak down was around 13%. Prior to bringing the car into the service center for the exhaust there was zero smoke when revving the car. However, I've never reved the car while it was cold, and that was what he told me was causing the smoke. Very disturbing to see knowing how much it could cost to rebuild, any truth to what he's saying?

8. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    If the valve guides are done you should be fine, they can't have caused too much damage, lesson learnt I guess, don't take it back.

9. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
    Maybe time for a new shop?

10. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Not saying what it is but if one goes with some liquid being introduced then the smoke is white not bluish, I would lean toward coolant not oil.

Was compression or leak down done post top end work? Simply because it was done does not mean it right or worse... made it even worse.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    used capristo? if it was used, capristos have fiberglass matting in them. If the previous owner drove it like a pansie it could be chalked full of carbon soot, just needs to be blown out.
    I would never rev my car until full temp, but then again i dont think it hurt anything based on that video

QSA and Michael Burgoyne like this.
  12. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    That revving didn't hurt anything. You said you had 13% leakdown *after* guides being done? Where was the leakage coming from, and what were the numbers across the cylinders? (you won't have 13% on every cylinder) That number is pretty high for a healthy engine. How much oil does the engine consume per X miles?

If you do have an oil consumption problem you will now see it in the exhaust since taking your car to the shop, and it's not because of revving, it's because you removed the cats. Cats capture oil smoke. Remove them on a tired engine and you will see the smoke. Find out the details on that 13% leakage and you can go from there. And please don't hassle the shop about the oil smoke, they didn't cause it, not in the slightest.

13. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I don’t rev cold engines on anything but opinion is highly likely that did not do anything except piss you off