430 - Full clear bra struggles | FerrariChat

430 Full clear bra struggles

Discussion in '360/430' started by DeTomasoGTS74, Aug 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DeTomasoGTS74

DeTomasoGTS74 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I have owned my Scud for two and a half months but unfortunately the place doing the full car clear bra can’t get it right. They’ve called me in twice and continue to show a product with several dirt bubbles and stretch marks in the area outlined in blue below. They state that this is because of the size of the piece.

My question is does anyone have a 360 or 430 coupe with a full car wrap where this continuous piece (start of a pillar, over roof, down c pillar and over to bumper and rear real) is done well with no defects?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I see you are in Austin. Give Brad a call at Authentic Details and ask his opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

DeTomasoGTS74 likes this.
  3. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    Clear bra always has some defects. It’s not done in a clean room. There’s dirt, and it needs to be heated and stretched. You don’t put it on your car to make the car look better. It’s supposed to protect your paint and that comes at a small cost of the imperfections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jag-oo-r and KC360 FL like this.
  4. DeTomasoGTS74

Dec 13, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I don’t agree with this comment as my Aston Martin has zero dirt bubbles on it, neither does my Cobra or the front of my wife’s SUV. That said each of these cars have smaller pieces requiring wrap, making it easier. I never said I was putting it on to make it look better, and honestly I would probably be OK with one or two small bubbles but there were several just on this one piece...especially for over $6K.

My question for the community was does anyone with a coupe have a full clear bra where this piece came out good?

5. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I have not but there are a lot of cars with a full wrap; that is kind of the same. I would say that you need a better shop to get it done.

6. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Why full "clear" wrap to begin with?

KC360 FL likes this.
  7. zboost300

zboost300 Karting

Jan 27, 2019
    #7 zboost300, Aug 22, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    Wesley ay pristine auto detail in cedar park is pretty good also. I plan taking my 430 to him for a front ppf install. They do xpel brand

You bring your scud out to any meets?

8. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I agree. The cost, the look, and the potential damage to the paint when removed means you may end up painting parts or touching up OEM paint.

For me I'd rather see my paint surface, flat, reflective, and simply repaint my front bumper or hood years from now.

NMNMNMN, hessank, imahorse and 2 others like this.
  9. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    There are shops that can do it right. There's one down the street from me. They do GT3's all the time and they are perfect. They did my wife's Jeep Rubicon hood and an air bubble wouldn't go away, so they redid it.
    Don't settle for less than perfect, especially for $6000.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. DeTomasoGTS74

Dec 13, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Not yet I’ve only owned it for two months and it’s been at the shop as they’ve tried to correct the PPF for over half of that!

11. DeTomasoGTS74

Dec 13, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Some people love them especially if they use their cars, some people don’t. Some people put miles on their cars and truly enjoy them, some people don’t. Some people with the means by Ferraris, many more who could don’t and present valid, logical arguments similar to yours above on why they don’t make sense. It’s your car to do as you like, all of your points are valid. Unfortunately you will not be able to help me with my question.

Ray Smith likes this.
  12. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Ken, this is why you get a wrap to protect your wrap! :D

13. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    Had my F430 done full pff. They did a split line in center of roof to make it work. Other then that it's perfect

Ray Smith, JPMD and DeTomasoGTS74 like this.
  14. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    I took it to a shop in Huntington Beach. They had the car three full days to install the Xpel full wrap, but there are no air bubbles.

The the roof/quarter panel seam is here:

Attached Files:

15. DeTomasoGTS74

Dec 13, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Appreciate the response Ray. Shop told me they could do it without given a custom cut along the stripe. They did a good job on yours, but I really don’t want that line!

16. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Are they using the Xpel 430 pre-cut kit or are they wrapping the entire car from bulk rolls and cutting where necessary? Mine is the pre-cut kit which is why the seam (which is invisible unless you know where to look). Each part of the body has its own sheet. When doing a wrap from bulk they need to do a lot of custom cutting. Six grand is not outrageous for a custom wrap but it is much more difficult to execute flawlessly.

17. DeTomasoGTS74

Dec 13, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Eric
    They were using the 430 kit, and they did share that the 430 had a seam on the C pillar. They told me this was the case because the roll would not be able to fit on both sides of the car so they needed a breaking point. On the Scud they suggested doing a custom cut along the stripe instead which would eliminate the need for the C pillar seam. The problem was in execution given the size of the piece. They have tried numerous times and end up with multiple dirt bubbles etc.

They bit off a lot more than they could chew with this car is my feeling. They shared that the old 430 kit was not anywhere close to the edges like the new cars would be so they had to do a ton of adjustments and modifications to the kit so that the paint would be better protected.

I just brought the car home yesterday after not having it for 1.5 of my 2 months of ownership. The pieces outlined in blue are still not covered and I’m trying to determine if somebody else will be doing it or if they will be flying in their best installer.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Ray Smith likes this.
  18. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    So...which is worse? Air bubbles or a barely noticeable seam?

19. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    ...and when you take it off, there's STILL a line! Ask me how I know! :D

KC360 FL likes this.
  20. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Okay, tell us your horror story...

21. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Add me to the list of having a line on my fenders and hood where the PPF ended and the paint began when I removed my PPF.
    I love looking at my paint instead of plastic film.

22. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    So you just had the front done, not the entire car?

23. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    The "kit" is actually software they run on their cutting machine. The software is updated by Xpel (you did specify Xpel, right?) and they download the latest cut instructions. This assures that the edges can wrap around fender wells, door edges, etc.

Absent a "Custom Wrap" where there are no instructions, they wrap individual areas of the car totally from a bulk roll of PPF, cutting where needed. So they do the entire trunk with one piece, the entire front fender with one piece, etc. That all works well with *smaller* sections. When you get to the roof and quarter panels using one sheet is very very difficult because a LOT of wetting and squeegeeing is required. The longer a span the harder it is to get out the air bubbles. But there should be no "dirt". They should have washed the car with a foam cannon (see photo) and blown it dry with a high power device and followed that up with large microfiber towels. Actually smoothing the PPF down is more art that science and it's not uncommon for them to remove a large section and re-wetting it and redoing it. It's very labor intensive.

Google "Jay Leno PPF" and you'll find a video of a local shop (Santa Ana) doing one of his cars and you'll see the work involved. I initially went to that shop but they think everyone has Jay Leno's money and just bought the car to check a box, and not to actually *drive* it so they keep the car for almost two weeks. BTW, watch the video and not Jay Leno opted for the pre-cut kit.

Also, the "lines" (if any) people complain about can be buffed out when the PPF is removed.

24. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I disagree on this. I have wet-sanded along the line as much as I feel comfortable with, without sanding through the clear, and the line is still there. If you can't get it out with wet sanding, it ain't coming out.

25. zboost300

zboost300 Karting

Jan 27, 2019
    Your installer cut the paint / clear coat if that's the case. Seems they owe you a repaint.