do NOT mess with old car's coolant hoses when hot | FerrariChat

do NOT mess with old car's coolant hoses when hot

Discussion in '360/430' started by 24000rpm, Jun 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

2. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Ouch. Glad hands not face

EastMemphis and 24000rpm like this.
  3. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Advise duly noted.
    Thanks for sharing

4. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI
    Cannot imagine how very painful this was....... :(:(
    Hope you heal completely.

5. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
  6. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Ouch. Yeah, I was driving briskly on a warm day in my then new-to-me 355, and got caught by a random rain cloud. When the water started through the decklid, a coolant hose popped with a huge plume of steam. I replaced all hoses then with nice Dave Helms silicone hoses.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  7. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I wasted money on exactly ONE Ferrari hose, that started leaking again. I started doing a progressive replacement of the hoses using the reinforced silicone Summit Racing hoses. 10x the quality of the crappy Ferrari ones at a quarter of the price. Takes a little work to match them but worth it. Any aftermarket "solutions" that claim to be specifically for Ferraris are just the same thing in a package, marked up with a less ridiculous Ferrari tax, making them look like a good deal.

8. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Wow, people don't just pull an offending hose and go match it up at the auto parts store? I mean the folks that do their own work. Obviously if you drop it off at the dealer they will charge you for the Ferrari one (and likely do the same thing).

9. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Don't do that either. They really should be high temp silicone, not cheap rubber like you find at Autozone. You'd be amazed at how many will spend 4 digits at the dealer for something that can be done in a garage with hand tools for 50 bucks and a couple beers.

10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    It's been my practice to change all the coolant hoses at the major service. The 5 year life time cycle makes sure that they don't bust at the least opportune time. I just walk down to Oreillly's and tell them to match up the two 90 degree ones. Buy stock coolant hoses for the straight ones. And the 1 5/8 inch (41mm) Gates hoses for the larger ones. I really do not believe in the Uber Performance Scuderia Rampante hoses.

11. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Ouch! Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately those hoses don't last forever, but there are options. I had one fail and had to get a tow home. I had a guy try telling me I should drop 4k and get them all professionally replaced at FNA like he did and that it was the smart thing to do. I went to a race car parts place nearby and for $8 I got a much superior hose to the one that failed. It was worn down due to the upper trans mount being worn. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login