Reading the ECU and Gearbox | FerrariChat

Reading the ECU and Gearbox

Discussion in '360/430' started by tstuli, Jun 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    I've been playing around with some off-the-shelf low cost ELM327 based OBD tools (literally a $25 Bluetooth dongle) seeing if I could successfully connect to the some of the computers on these cars.

I've been successful in reading and decoding what I believe to be the engine coolant temperature on the ECU (note this isn't via the standard OBD method, but rather customer parameters), and the F1 hydraulic pressure on the gearbox.

I wanted to document some of these while I try and build out a open-source in-dash monitoring system showing me vitals on these cars for suggestions and input.

https://gransportmaserati.wordpress.com/2020/06/22/reading-the-ecu-and-gearbox-computer/

kes7u and epb0 like this.
  2. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Sounds like a cool project. Are you doing this all by trial and error, or are you looking to do some com scanning of another tool to see what messages need to be sent to achieve different results?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

tstuli likes this.
  3. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    Trial and error. Unfortunately these cars aren’t running CAN to the OBD port so a lot of easy recording methods are not possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    #4 tstuli, Jun 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    blown94conv, kes7u, albkid and 3 others like this.
  5. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Is this a device that you plan to make available to the community?

tstuli likes this.
  6. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    Yes! Once I get all the kinks worked out I hope to open source it so anyone can build their own.

tres55, grtoz, benporter and 2 others like this.
  7. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Thanks.
    This looks to be a worthwhile device for helping to gain a greater understanding of the F1 system.

tstuli likes this.
  8. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Great job.

tstuli likes this.
  9. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    A little further progress today.

I was able to get the polling rates up significantly to get several updates per second.

I’m also now looking at monitoring/alerting. This first bit looks at how the F1 pump and system is performing.

This uses the pump relay state to measure two things:

1) Cycle time between pump activations. Too low of a time points to leakage/bleed off.

2) Pump on time. How long it takes the pump to raise the pressure from 40 bar to 50 bar. Again too long of a time here indicates a weak pump or heavy leakage.

3) Additionally I’ve added alerting to the clutch solenoid measure when they exceed 60cc/min.

The M3Stack has a small speaker so a alarm tone can be played. Image Unavailable, Please Login

With all these we can get some early warnings of failures or issues that need addressing.

Any other suggestions for monitoring?

10. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Great bit of work this!

Some suggestions for other alarms:
    - Gear requested vs gear selected mismatch after 1 second?
    - Any one of the solenoid currents exceeding x mA?
    - Clutch wear index exceeds X?
    - Gearbox oil temperature exceeds X degC??
    - E-diff system leak limit?

Useful parameters to interrogate as part of pre-purchase inspection:
    - Time overheating
    - Number incorrect gear engagements
    - Number of gear engagements at high RPM.

tstuli likes this.
  11. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    Great suggestions. I will need to look into what it would take for some of those.

I also want to try a wider diversity of cars to try everything on. Not sure if I will be able to find vehicles locally or if folks would be able to do some remote testing with me.

One other thing is if I end up sticking with this hardware, it also has a SD card slot for potential data logging.

12. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Very interesting. Isn't this data generally only available to an SD2 type scanner?

This could evolve into a lower cost alternative to the scanners that cost 10s of thousands if that is the road you're on...

13. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Try an Autel AP200. Virtually every parameter is available as live data. $70 on Amazon. The option being discussed here seems to be a lot more than a simple scanner. It's a data logging and data monitoring device that would likely be installed in a more or less permanent fashion. Great idea!