How I Did My Mondial Top Shock Mounts | FerrariChat

How I Did My Mondial Top Shock Mounts

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by BillyD, Jun 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #1 BillyD, Jun 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    Many have done their Mondial top shock mounts using a QA1 stud mount adapter and the Mondial stock spherical shock mount. (the part you see when you look at the top of the shock in the engine bay)
    I wanted the frame to carry the weight just like Ferrari did with the stock coil over instead of the spherical shock mount so I cut and drilled some 3/16 steel plates. Below you can see what I did, I am not an engineer, nor a very good mechanic. The nice part is besides the crappy welds I did to locate the top spring cup I used a Makita grinder with a cut-off wheel and a small drill press to accomplish this.
    Parts List for all 4 corners:
    2 QA1 DS 402
    2 QA1 DS 602
    2 10HT350 front springs
    2 12HT300 rear springs
    4 QA1 9032-117 bump stops
    2 sets thrust bearing kits QA1 7888-109
    4 top stud mount adapters QA1 SS100SD
    4 precut 3/16 4x4 plates from Amazon
    Verrells QA1 Bushing kit for the lower mounts from UNOBTAINIUMSUPPLY.COM
    The spring rates seem optional as people have used everything from 250-400 on their 308s
    I threaded the holes for the anchoring the plate but also did a tack weld.
    Hope this helps some Mondial owners out there get their cars noses out of the sky, ;)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

moysiuan, MvT, Dr-Boost and 4 others like this.
  2. vance

vance Rookie

Aug 12, 2008
    What color is your car?

3. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Thanks for sharing the info from your project!

2cam

moysiuan likes this.
  4. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Oro Chiaro. I never see myself coming or going ;)

davem likes this.
  5. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    BillyD- thanks for sharing. It's great to see that you you actually did the work yourself and are willing to share how you did it. Gives me inspiration!

6. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Bill - I am interested in doing a similar conversion on my '85 mondial. It's been a while since your first post - can you explain the second picture where something is welded onto the metal plate? Also, now that a year has passed, are you satisfied with this mod? Is there anything you would do different? Thanks

7. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I wanted to be sure that the upper spring cup was solidly located and wouldn't put lateral pressure on the shock rod or the upper rubber bushing. Ideally a round washer would have been a prettier solution.
    Once these mounts were in and the old spherical bushings removed I think I could have gone with a longer rear spring for more wheel travel since the upper shock mount moved up a bit. I sold the car and never got around to any more mods but I was very happy with the mounts and no longer worried that the spherical bushings would fail or the shocks would bottom out.
    Good luck

8. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thank you - When you say "a round washer" do you mean a cupped washer or a top spring cup something like this? https://www.jegs.com/i/QA1/122/7720-168/10002/-1?gclid=Cj0KCQjw5auGBhDEARIsAFyNm9GXOG2TxM_9bbmlw8HVbsxV-XUqgfG95b66vJPzbgGMHRfvLeio-lAaAjO2EALw_wcB

9. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I never saw those when I was trying to find a way to locate the top spring cup. I was saying a round washer instead of my welded pieces I made to keep upper spring cup located on the steel plate. Normally the QA1 spring cup is held in place by the top rod mount fitting into a recess in the cup. Those jegs pieces look like they would work. I couldn’t tell how thick they are and how far they would move the top of the spring away from the steel plate I made. Definitely more elegant than my welded pieces and would eliminate any needed welding.

10. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    MvT likes this.
  11. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I used the original shock mounts for a year and others have done so for longer with no issues.

12. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    This looks like the best solution. Please provide any details of how you machined the original aluminum top spring retainer. Also, did you make any changes related to the mounting stud which is 3/8" on the QA-1 versus 12mm on the original Koni? Thanks for weighing in

13. wilkrod

wilkrod Karting

May 9, 2012
    Ocala, Fl
    Machined the top spring retainer on my lathe down to 2.5" o.d., opened the spherical bearing out to 3/8" for the QA- 1 shock rod to pass thru, top nut, and washer, done. Made my own bottom bushing with Delrin, and a steel core.

14. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    we followed wilkrod's lead and my talented nephew machined the top spring retainer to 2.5" and made bushings for the silent bloc or bushing above the top spring retainer to reduce the 12mm hole (original) to 3/8" of the QA1 stud top conversion - really appreciate the help
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Well Done.

16. gunn

gunn Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2021
    Full Name:
    Gunn S
    From what I've gleaned here, please LMK if I got everything right.

For the Top Mount:
    - The QA1 stud top from the SS100SD kit is 3/8" diameter.
    - You want the weight to rest on a plate that is shshkebab'd on the shock assembly; not just pressing against the top mount housing.

1) Some people just widen the stock shock top mount uniball to 3/8" and lathe the retainer down to 2.5" so the new spring can slip over it.
    - This is clearly the cheaper option.
    - My stock shocks/struts are in decent condition so I may just keep/sell them off vs use them for parts.

2) Others take a square plate steel and find a way to mount the shock through it.

Q: I suspect this may be a better way to make a mount between the DIY frame mount plate and the shock.
    Steinjager.com sells a 3/8" uniball and retainer clip for 18.99/ea
    https://steinjager.com/shop/0.375-Bore-Snap-Ring-Uniball-and-Cup-1-Pack-J0024082

I used a similar uniball when I had to fab my custom shock tops for my lemons tbird. I got the idea when looking at top mounts for a GT3
    https://www.tccoa.com/threads/s4gunns-tbird-front-suspension-options-summary-bilstein-insert-diy.178561/#post-1909561

You then use the stud top kit supplied bolt to bolt everything together. Maybe with an extra washer.

Q: The only part I'm trying to spec out now is what to do about the spring retainer (what the stock shock top has).
    I don't think the other DIY shock tops did much here (the pressure of the springs will hold everything in place.
    Others suggested 7720-168 as a retainer to use.
    https://www.speedwaymotors.com/QA1-7720-168-Coil-Spring-Bolt-In-Adapter-F-Body-and-GM-A-Body-Cars,264136.html

Q: Any opinions here?

For the Bottom Mount
    Wilkrod says he just replaced the bushing that comes with the QA1 shocks with his own made out of a center tube lathed to the rigth dimensions and lathing the delrin bushings.

I see now that QA1BUSH is the item number from unobtanium supply if I just wanted to throw money at the problem.

http://unobtainiumsupply.com/UnobtainiumSupply_Product_List.PDF
    One set covers all 4 corners. Do I have that correctly?

17. wilkrod

wilkrod Karting

May 9, 2012
    Ocala, Fl
    Gunn,
    I did indeed add a top plate to capture the spring/shock assembly. This then bolts to the OEM location. So you have the shock, spring, keeper spring, QA1 top hat, oem top sleeve, new plate that captures the shock rod.

18. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    If did another I'd machine down the original spring cups like Wilkrod #12 post did above.

19. gunn

gunn Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2021
    Full Name:
    Gunn S
    Okay, dumb question:

I understand the necessity of the thrust washers on the bottom spring perch (so you can spin the plate up and raise/lower the car) but why does the keeper spring even exist and some folks have it above and others below the 2.5" spring that holds the weight of the car?

I looked for this part to understand it better and I can't seem to find it.
    As long as there's no slop between the bottom of the perch and whatever is on top sandwiching it down (like the top cap/DIY 4"x4" bracket or stock top mount), isn't that good enough?

20. wilkrod

wilkrod Karting

May 9, 2012
    Ocala, Fl
    If your spring is short enough it will be loose at full droop if you don't use a keeper spring, it can go on either top or bottom.

21. gunn

gunn Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2021
    Full Name:
    Gunn S
    Got it.
    In your setup, did you go with these springs and were keeper springs necessary?
    2 10HT350 front springs
    2 12HT300 rear springs

22. wilkrod

wilkrod Karting

May 9, 2012
    Ocala, Fl
    Yes, and Yes

23. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    wilkrod - just finished a QA1 coilover conversion on my 85 mondial and used the 12HT300 rear springs from QA1. I can now see why you needed either a keeper spring OR a 14" long spring instead because at full drop, the 12" spring falls away from the mounts. What keeper spring did you use?

Also, any opinion on whether it is better to use the keeper springs to remedy this problem or go to a 14" spring instead?? Thanks for the help

24. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe