Another Ferrari Turned Worthless | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Another Ferrari Turned Worthless

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 3POINT8, Jun 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    No, a lot of niggling little issues; right now I need new fuel injectors, for instance, and I did get a new clutch, but everything else has been mostly routine (but still expensive). And I did meet a 308 owner in Chattanooga some 14 years ago who already had 122,000 miles on his, and he was using it as a daily driver!

tomc and G. Pepper like this.
  2. AdWassi

AdWassi Karting

Jul 3, 2019
    California
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Only 10K? pfft. Ive done more than that since I bought my 458 in September LOL
    DRIVE these cars! They work SO much better - all my friends with Ferrari's that sit in the garage have problems, they keep asking me how the hell my car is still going... the answer .. DRIVE IT

DefunctNeurons and mdrums like this.
  3. jeffzab

jeffzab Rookie

Apr 22, 2009
    Edmonton Alberta
  4. IslandLife

IslandLife Rookie

Feb 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    David Schirmer
    Love seeing it in the garage, but way more fun to drive. Grocery store, restaurant, or spirited group drives with friends, it never gets old. 22k and climbing rapidly. Only live once. Paid for, not selling, and looking forward to taking a pic when it hits 100k.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. UKRikF430

UKRikF430 Rookie

Jul 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Rikki Nath
    Couldn't agree more with the sentiment that we should drive these cars, even if I respect your right to put yours in a hermetically sealed environment for the great-grandchildren, so that they can figure out what "petrol" is and why the car makes so much noise.

I just went through 50k on my 430, a 2 owner 09 car: If Ferrari put bad weather dials on the manettino, I guess the car can take it in all weathers, right, even here in England? I did 4000 great miles in the past year, would have been many more but for truly heavy rains which would have overwhelmed the soft top.

Of course provenance and care are crucial. I have more records for this car than wikileaks, right down to the original the invoice: so, I know I paid more than 54% of its original value, with 46k on the clock! Where do you get depreciation like that? And of course that is without putting a price on the sheer joy of driving it even at 20 mph - no, especially when driving it at 20mph!! - and the way it makes you feel every time you start it up, which for me is almost daily.

This is not my first Ferrari, and I had the price validated by the guys I trust its care to, so I'm comfortable it was an informed choice. I also think that when you sell on, the buyer takes some comfort knowing they are getting a reliable car: what could be more daunting than buying a supercar than a supercar which is not used? I bought from a guy who loved it, drove it and still swaps note with me about these amazing cars.

Still, I also love just looking at it...so the garage queens are serving a purpose, too!

6. AdWassi

AdWassi Karting

Jul 3, 2019
    California
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Glad to see so many drivers on here! Anyone down in San Diego area hit me up for some canyons :)

7. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    how many miles you up to? post odometer!

8. rquad

rquad Karting

Jul 26, 2019
    Georgia
    So many people seem worried about when to sell their cars. I can't say never, but I don't intend to ever sell mine - I bought it to keep. Anyone else out there like me?

up4speed, v35, DefunctNeurons and 2 others like this.
  9. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    "worthless" <--- should definitely have this word in quotes.

10. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Most definitely. Market value is meaningless if one never sells!!!

tomc likes this.
  11. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    My original plan was Cali as gateway to another F-car, but 4 years later, I'm hard pressed to make a move for the sake of just having something newer. I know what I've got. It's been driven hard, but I also know it's been maintained to the nth degree. Nothing delayed or deferred. I think as long as it is a pleasure for my wife and I to drive, and not a maintenance nightmare, it's hard to rationalize a switch at this stage...T

12. Frank F355

Frank F355 Rookie

Oct 27, 2019
    Full Name:
    francis j. pizzi
    My F355 had 22K miles on it when purchased. I knew it needed a 5 year engine out service so I drove it hard for 500 miles to sort out any issues. Then, had engine out service totally redoing all that had accumulated in it’s 22 years. Now I have a reliable “driver” and I am shooting for 50K plus.

13. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    That makes two of us. I’ve just crossed the 36.000km barrier.

Kind regards,

Nuno

14. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Count me in bruddah! I’m never going to sell my 2015 458 Italia, it’s too much fun and the styling is timeless! It’s also still under warranty, so that’s a bonus! Plus, I’m a NA fan, so I’m staying put.

I was a hard core SonderKlasse Mercedes-Benz fanatic for well over 30 years... whilst I loved all of my SClass Benzes, none gave me the “experience“ of a Ferrari!

My next addition to the stable will be an 812 SF... Gotta love those NA V-12’s.

Cheers!

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  15. Ferrari&Maserati

Sep 15, 2019
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Andy
    This obsession with "not driving" cars to keep the mileage low seems to be a very American thing, if I may say so. Indeed when I lived in Chicago it seemed that most supercars I met at weekend cars&coffee events had less than 10,000 miles... here in Switzerland I have seen a completely different approach. These cars are made to be driven. I have seen several 458s for sale with over 100,000 Km (60,000 miles), and there are even a couple of Aventadors for sale with over 70,000 Km! Nobody I know cares about "keeping the mileage low". If you can afford these cars you can surely afford to drive them. And the spectacular mountain roads of Switzerland, Italy and Austria are within sight... it's hard to keep a Ferrari in the garage when you can just go out and enjoy automotive nirvana every weekend.

Ash Patel, 3POINT8, jomarti1 and 3 others like this.
  16. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Baitschev, 3POINT8, Ianjoub and 5 others like this.
  17. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I agree with Andy. Mileage is always directly related to value (something I’ve always said should change) and it always matters (to the market that is - to me, fun is what matters), but it seems to matter more in the US than in Europe.

I feel it’s not that important to buy an ultra low mile car here in Europe and prospective buyers place more emphasis and important on condition and spec, generally speaking. For instance, I’ve never met anyone looking out to buy a pre-owned 458 or 488 that has set as his/her main goal a sub 5 or 10.000km car. Spec? Another matter entirely.

No wrong answer. It’s just that different markets have their idiosyncrasies. Personally, I hate talking about mileage instead of spec, history and fun.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Rexcat458 likes this.
  18. v35

v35 Karting

May 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    The second you decide that your car is a keeper, resale value is a meaningless number you never think about. 17k miles on my and intend on keeping it for the long haul.

Rexcat458, tomc and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  19. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
    25 miles to go and my car turns worthless.
    Can’t wait to take a picture. I will lay in bed and start shaking violently, my heart will start racing, my blood pressure will go through the roof and I will question my very existence. And to think that all I will have to do is stop at 9999 and my car won’t be worthless!

3POINT8 and Rexcat458 like this.
  20. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Drive in reverse!
    T

michaelo likes this.
  21. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    buddyg, 3POINT8, Ianjoub and 4 others like this.
  22. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    A wiser man than me, my father, once told me that life is about mastering and managing losses: we lose our grandparents, then our parents, our uncles, our cousins and sometimes when life doesn’t run its normal course, even a son or a daughter.

We’ll also lose money on our 458s, 488s and F8s. What can we do about it? Just one thing: treasure it and make the most of it, whether it’s the time we’ve been given with the ones we love, or a car.

Accept it and shake off the loss. It is what it is. We can either dwell on how depressing and sad life, death, loss and depreciation is, or take it for what it is and have a blast, because we ain’t taking anything with us to the grave.

We’ll all go down, either worrying sick about tomorrow or very comfortably in our shoes with no regrets. Sounds to me that every owner who has racked up some serious mileage on his/her Ferrari is intending to go out in a blaze of glory.

My hat is off to all of you.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

23. michaelo

michaelo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2006
    Tn.
    Full Name:
    Michael O.
  24. tomc