Debating on California vs Bentley CGT | FerrariChat

Debating on California vs Bentley CGT

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by TheManWithDa7, May 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheManWithDa7

TheManWithDa7 Rookie

May 18, 2020
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Jean Carlo
    My current cars are a 2018 maserati ghibli sQ4 and a 2016 Bmw 750 iXdrivr sport.

I’m looking to get rid of both cars and move onto either a 2015 California vs 2015 Bentley CGT.

I would like to have the car as my daily driver.
    does anyone have any experience with both of these cars or share their experience about the California as far as maintenance costs, drive feeling, etc..
    Much appreciated

2. California Dreams

Feb 13, 2019
    Have you driven them yet? I was looking at the new Continental which according to reviews is supposed to handle much better than before but within 30 seconds of test driving it knew that it was not for me. Drove like a boat compared to the California. It's probably not worse than a 750 though so you may be fine with it in exchange for the practicality.

3. TheManWithDa7

TheManWithDa7 Rookie

May 18, 2020
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Jean Carlo
    yes actually, as expected, the California drives similar to the Maserati but a bit better and sportier and the Bentley CGT drives smooth like the 7 but a bit better.

I enjoy driving both of those cars but I don’t want to deal with the upkeep for two cars.

I’m leaning more towards the Bentley due to Awd ( I live in CT). Unless current California drivers can convince me to go for the Ferrari!

4. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Which California did you drive? I had a 2019 Ghibli SQ4 for a loaner for several weeks while my 2015 Cali T was being worked on and to me the Maserati was nothing like the Ferrari.

These cars are apples and oranges to me, the Bentley is heavy and solid like a bank vault with a lot of horsepower to overcome the weight, while the Cali is lighter and sharper. I would never drive the Cali in winter weather, although when the roads are dry it’s fine if you take it easy on the summer tires in cold temperatures.

If you are looking to replace the 7 sedan with a convertible, I would suggest the Bentley or a 650/M6 or M8.

5. DavidRS4

DavidRS4 Karting

Oct 12, 2019
    In CT you probably want to stick with something that is AWD. I had a MB S63 Cab and was looking to go to a California T. I ended up getting a 2015 FF instead which I love. This summer I picked up a 2014 M6 Cab as well when I realized I had to have a convertible. I drove the 2015 Bentley GTC and was not impressed. I have to tell you that I would get a 2017 MB S63 Cab over the 2015 Bentley. Seats are nicer for sure and it felt better all around.

That being said I would strongly recommend you look at the FF for a daily driver. I use mine as a DD for the snow or rain, its really a great car. My M6 with the dinan stage one is technically faster however I still enjoy the FF more (unless its over 60 and not raining).

6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Having experienced both back to back, as a drivers car there's no doubt that the Cali T is the better choice. To be honest, the CGT goes ride smoothly and it is very comfortable. But it is also completely dead and has the excitement of a potato. It's a nice car for someone who does not care about cars and driving. Would I drive a CGT for 2500 km straight? Absolutely, it would be easy, but unless the company was fun and exciting it would also be incredibly boring

Now the Cali T on the other hand is still very comfortable and pleasant to drive, but it also manages to be engaging and exciting. Fun fact: The Czli T and Lusso shares the same suspension, and that is a VERY good thing. One of the things Ferrari does best, is a car that is super comfortable to drive and then surprises by how well it also handles when you lay into it. No place is this more apparent than with the 488 and Lusso - and the Cali T shares these attributes. Yes, it is of course more flexy than a Lusso as it is a drop top, and it weighs the same but has less power, but it is for all intentions still a very responsive and nimble car, especially for what it is.
    It will make your drive an occassion and it will try to seduce you every time you get behind the wheel. Will it be quite as invisible and dissapear like the Bentley will? No, but that's the point.
    It is a perfect daily driver as it does what you want it to do. It has ground clearance and room, and the ESC system means that it will work year round. Fit summer tyres during summer and winter tyres during winter, and you're set. The 4wd of the CGT is just yet another thing which subtracts from connecting with the car.

So to sum it up. Like driving? Want an exciting and engaging car that makes every trip memorable? The answer is easy. The Cali T is leaps and bounds ahead of the footballers car of choice.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app