Looking at a CPO 488 | FerrariChat

Looking at a CPO 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 020147, May 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 020147

020147 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2006
    Midwest
    Hey all,
    After a couple of months looking around I have found a 488 in a spec that interests me. I have searched around for a bit and have concluded that a CPO car does not equal having a warranty, but allows for a warranty to be purchased. I can live with that and would much prefer to enjoy some assurance in my foray to Ferrari ownership.

The consensus seems to be that no two techs are created equal in the CPO certification process and a PPI would be my best insurance policy, please correct me if I’m wrong? Does anyone know what thresholds Ferrari sets in regards to wearable components? I know in the MB world things such as tires or brakes under 50% are replaced. I’m more than capable reading a condition report of a vehicle prepared by a tech, is there anything specifically that I should be looking for with the mechanics of a 488? My reading on the board indicates these are pretty robust cars. Nonetheless, I would very much appreciate any insights from the veterans. Thank you all!

2. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I had mine for two years and had no problems whatsoever. I had a spider and put 4600 miles on it. Flawless and it was a ton of fun. The 488 is a great car. It's berated because of the sound but the power that comes with the muted turbo sound is intoxicating and makes the car a lot of fun. I traded mine with a year of warranty left, it was a 2018.

You should have no problem finding one that has been well cared for but properly broken in. Sometimes the really low mileage cars haven't been broken in but on the other end, some of the more enjoyed cars might be a little more worn. Mine probably had normal miles so about 2500 per year is a good number but 5-7k per year would be on the higher use end.

020147 likes this.
  3. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    I purchased a low miles 458 and was afraid it sat too much and purchased a one-year warranty. That way I wasn't too concerned with the quality of the PPI, as I had a warranty and then drove it hard for about 4k miles that year. The front shocks were replaced under warranty, but that was it. I was then confident enough to not re-new the warranty. Personally, I wish I'd have done two years up front, as they offered me what turned out to be a pretty good deal, I just didn't know it at the time. I think the best deal(s) you'll ever get on Ferrari warranties is at purchase time.