430 - Yet another high mileage / reliability thread | FerrariChat

430 Yet another high mileage / reliability thread

Discussion in '360/430' started by Clabby93, May 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Clabby93

Clabby93 Rookie

Jun 13, 2019
    Full Name:
    Clabby
    I know this topic has been beaten to death on here, but I'm looking for input a little different from all of the threads I've come across in searches. I'm looking to get into a F430 as my first F-car and would love to do some rallies and road trips to rack on the miles.

In every other thread I see everyone preaches maintenance over miles as a rule of thumb, I get that and have driven BMW's and Porsche's to 300k+ by taking care of everything. However, I've also learned that certain cars tend to have specific issues at specific mileages and some very big ticket items need replacing eventually. I haven't found many data points regarding F430's aside from a few tales of catastrophic engine failure due to the manifold flaw.

I know to expect clutches, fluids, brakes, etc every so often. I know the headers, engine mounts, etc are failure points to be addressed.

Hoping to hear from any of you who actually own high mileage cars - Is there any rough mileage where engine rebuilds have been needed? Transmissions? Diffs? I'd love to get a higher mileage example to drive without a care, but don't want to be stuck with a $30k engine replacement or anything of the like. If I buy a car with 30-40k that was well maintained and I continue to do the same, should I expect no issues til 100k+ as if it was a "normal" car?

2. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    120km routine maintenance. These cars are not fragile they need to be driven not to have issues.

Danedingerson likes this.
  3. SRLC716

SRLC716 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 15, 2019
    Buffalo
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I have a gated 2003 360 spider that just flipped 50k miles. It runs like a champ, and frankly everything I’ve dug into while owning it has appeared fresher and in good working order. Vacuum hoses for example can get brittle when they sit; mine are pliable and show no signs of cracking.

Luckily my car was maintained well throughout its entire life before I got it and I have a binder full of service records to show for it.

The downside to owning a “higher” mileage car is the underside doesn’t look like a show car, nor do the wheel wells and under car mechanical bits. But she’s a driver and that’s why I bought her! I plan on and already have racked up the miles, and so I didn’t want to buy something with low miles only to destroy the value of the car. I bought something with the spec I wanted in the color I wanted with a gated six speed and drop top; higher miles meant I got it within my budget and didn’t have to fear paying a premium for low miles only to run through future miles like a hot knife through butter.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. Danedingerson

Danedingerson Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 26, 2011
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Dane
    I have stored many cars esp 911s .Stored cars dont do well. I went with a 2007 430 with 20K miles ,about 1600 a year.Ferrari thinks they have the most reliable V8 on the market so they renewed my full warranty on a 12year old car for a few grand for three years.

Flyingbrick242 likes this.