Manual 575 and 550 | FerrariChat

Manual 575 and 550

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by F140FG, Apr 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F140FG

F140FG Karting

Apr 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Ferrari
    Hi, would make sense to add a 575 alongside the 550? Both manuals of course

2. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    I tried both before I went with the 550. From a driving point of view, it's very slightly different with a bit more power at the top end but I prefer the 550 handling vs 575 with the FHP. Just more in keeping with the car's character.

From an investment point of view, there are many views around, but there was a time a few years back when people went gaga for the 575 manual because of the scarcity. Then the world woke up and realised the 550 was almost the same. Now the market is stuck with 575 manual sellers asking yesterday's prices which sane buyers aren't willing to pay.

Prices have come down a lot. I bought my 550 two years ago in the UK for just over £100k. I'd be surprised if I got more than half of it back if I tried to sell now (even before the current heath crisis).

Clyde Romero, tres55 and 21ATS like this.
  3. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
  4. F140FG

F140FG Karting

Apr 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Ferrari
    That's why I was thinking about getting both, I'd roughly the same car without putting too many miles on each one

5. F140FG

F140FG Karting

Apr 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Ferrari
  6. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I had both for five years til last year when my 550 was attacked by a falling tree. I still have my 575 (gated, 2004, FHP).

It's hard to answer your question because what makes sense for some makes no sense for others, I know people with three Testarossas, which makes sense for them.

The cars are more different than they look, particularly depending on the specification of the 575. My 550 lived out of town and my 575 lives under my home, so I never had to make a spontaneous choice as to which to drive.

With the insurance money for the 550, I haven't been tempted to buy another, and do not intend to do so. Given the choice again, I would buy my 575 again, and buy something else instead of my 550. For me, the 550 was maybe 80% as good as the 575. Though it's less than 80% of the price. Both are lovely Ferraris, but the gated FHP 575 is really unique.

I wrote about my comparative thoughts between the two here a couple of years ago.

https://www.lux-mag.com/best-modern-classic-ferrari/

F456M and NE550 like this.
  7. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    If spreading the miles out is your objective, then why not buy another 550 rather than a nearly the same 575 manual, and you'll have enough money left over to buy a third 550 (almost)! :)

8. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Personally have only driven 575 F1's but to me, I prefer the way the 550 looks 10x more than the 575 nose...and the difference in performance for me just isn't worth it.

root, bruzzifumi and BarryK like this.
  9. Steen Jensen

Steen Jensen Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2009
  10. F140FG

F140FG Karting

Apr 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Ferrari
    Because I don't think it would make sense to have the same car to spread the miles out. With a 575 you would have a different car, but still usable as a daily. I hope what I wrote wasn't confusing

Sent from my Mi A2 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

BarryK likes this.
  11. F140FG

F140FG Karting

Apr 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Ferrari
    Very well written, thanks for posting it here

Sent from my Mi A2 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Unfortunately many F1 cars with rough edges on the market.

13. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Some time ago the 575 made sense against the 550 - because it provided more performance. And for that it needed the F1 box (that's why back then, when given thr choice, people chose the F1 box on the 575 - which explains the low number of gated 575).
    Now both 550 and 575 are completely outdated in terms of performance, so they are some relics of the past - and as such a manual gearbox makes more sense. But overpaying to get a 575 rather than a 550 does not.
    I currently consider either a 550 or a 330 2+2 to add to my (limited ) fleet, any advice appreciated ;)

F456M likes this.
  14. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Sure, if you want to overpay (as you say) for a manual, you can buy a 575, or you can buy a 330 2+2, 50 year old technology, for more than a 2019 GTC4 Lusso 2+2, or the price of five gated 456 MGTs, which are 30 years newer..and so on. Or a 275 GTB/4, worse on every count than a 550 and something like 30 times the price.

There is no logic to Ferraris. A 365 GTC/4 is a lovely car. Same engine as a Daytona, same chassis, steers better, 2+2 and it's less than half the price.

330 looks beautiful. Not sure how it can be compared to a 30 years more modern 550.

F456M likes this.
  15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Darius- The engines on the 365 GTB/4 and 365 GTC/4 are quite different, even if they do have the same displacement. Most Ferrari historians think Ferrari took a wrong turn when they continued the 365 GTC/4 engine architecture in the 365 GT4 2+2 line rather than the Daytona architecture. The Daytona engine was flattened and belted for the 365 GT4 BB, but had several desirable features over the 2+2 engines that could have been incorporated.

Convenience, mostly, since the GT4 2+2 chassis was just a longer wheelbase version of the GTC/4 chassis.

Themaven likes this.
  16. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Typical south FLA car. Hate to say it, and of course there are some good ones down there, but there's a reason for the stereotype. Too bad.

17. munichhero

munichhero Rookie

Apr 15, 2020
    I have really enjoyed the debate about valuation on this car on BAT. It is going to be interesting to see what final price this one goes for.

Overall I'd be interested in everyone's opinion on what the 25 year rule for imports will do to prices in the US for older Ferrari's as soon as European cars can be brought into the States in a couple of years from now. Overall pricing for 550 in the US market has amazed me for years - especially in comparison to Europe.

In Germany you can get a nice 550 for 70,000 Euros - maybe less in the current environment. Bought a 2000 black/black with 55k KM for 68k Euros 2 years ago, 2 previous owners, perfectly serviced.

I understand supply and demand but a 550 is simply not the unicorn people make it out to be…many for sale at reasonable prices here in Germany/Europe.

On the other hand some of the asking prices on eBay and from major exotic dealers in the US are mind boggling to me…no wonder these cars sit unsold forever….
    Even private party....people just asking crazy money...really wonder what the market will do...

Graz likes this.
  18. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
  19. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    95k.
    Interesting

20. munichhero

munichhero Rookie

Apr 15, 2020
    Agree. A lot of money for that car.... condition subpar and questionable title.... At that price point I would have bought a mint 575 F1 and converted to manual for 30k.

21. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    totally agree
    But the 575 is an overall better car in my opinion
    From the stand point of the fuel system and numerous other small but significant improvements on the car

BarryK likes this.
  22. munichhero

munichhero Rookie

Apr 15, 2020
    I keep being amazed by the US market for 550/575 Maranello honesty. Somebody help me understand this please….

My latest observation is based on the 20k mile example currently on BAT which at the time of writing this has a bid for $ 110,000. Beautiful car – no disrespect – good luck to bidders and seller.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2000-ferrari-550-maranello-11/

But….

Add BAT fees, the major for $ 10-12k that it needs, sales tax in respective state (I am going to use 7% just for an example) + shipping etc… and we are close to $ 135,000 all in…. WOW!! And that is with 2 days to go…. Where does this end??

Obviously, the market has spoken, and somebody really wants this car. I do understand supply and demand but how can a 550 trade at such a premium in the US vs. ROW?? I do not know much about the UK but here in Germany, a 550 is simply not the unicorn people make it out to be…and can be had at reasonable price.

Yes, this is a nice car and only has 20k miles but is it worth almost twice as much as my example I bought two years ago with 55k Km (34k miles)? At a time where prices for 550 were supposedly higher than today?

Case in point is a black/black 2000 550 with 2 previous owners, Daytona seats, shields, Xenon, German car (no import from Italy which usually are cheaper), perfectly dealer serviced at Ferrari only. As a matter of fact, previous owner had spent 21K euros on a full service about 2k km before I bought it. 30k miles or 55km at the time, bought for EURO 68,000. Remind you this is all in with the service done, and 19% VAT in Germany!! No added sales tax on the price. The net price for someone exporting would have only been EURO 57,000!!!

Mindboggling to me how there can be such a discrepancy and again my question, is the car in question or any US 550 worth >80% t0 100%+ more than a comparable European car?

What is everyone’s opinion on what the 25-year rule for imports will do to prices in the US for older Ferrari’s as soon as European cars can be brought into the States in a couple of years from now. Remember by 2022, early 550’s can be brought in at a reasonable cost without EPA/DOT conversion.

Clyde Romero likes this.
  23. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Considering how much it would cost to import and federalize a Euro 550, probably yes. Plus the Euro model would be harder to sell in the future. Ask me again in a couple of years when early 550s can be imported without jumping through all the hoops. This is a very nice 550.

The same discrepancy existed in the olden days with Daytonas. European models were much less expensive and I even imported one. She eventually went back to Europe when the pendulum swung the other direction.

24. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero

most Ferrari owners are scared of a US car let alone a European model
    I willing to bet most don't even own a passport!
    so in my opinion the 550 euro model will not fly her in the states
    the fear factor is too great for the average Ferrari guy to take the leap
    and unfortunately the majority of Ferrari owners buy the car for resale value ( not me I drive the paint off them)
    and a euro model would take a bath here unless someone as myself was looking for one

m5shiv likes this.
  25. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    To be fair, I would be happy with a Euro model.

The big issue with Euro models are they tend to have higher mileages on average and the typical American buyer gets scared over 25,000 miles.....

m5shiv likes this.