F430 Ignition Coil | FerrariChat

F430 Ignition Coil

Discussion in '360/430' started by whatheheck, Oct 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I did a search and didnt come up with anything on F430 Ignition Coil so here you go for sharing. (Note: 360 uses different ignition coil part numbers)

Our F430 cars are now about 10 years old. Due to extreme heat in engine bay and vibration, or simply due to age the ignition coils may need to be replaced. Symptoms are engine misfires and misfire fault codes being thrown.

There are two part numbers: 186914 and 188504. Left & Right side of engine.
    Dealers want about $250.00 each, so about $2K for a set of 8.
    They are made by Bosch.

You can find them in eBay for much less, about $79 each. Sellers are from UK and Latvia with excellent seller feedback.

I discovered Amazon UK also sells them for $71 each!
    $568 for a set of 8 versus $2K from the dealership.
    Replacement is very easy.

Here are the cross reference part numbers:
    186914= Bosch 0221604013
    188504 = Bosch 0221604012

So as not to appear Im promoting a seller in eBay sorry but I wont create a link to the listing.
    Just kindly do a search:
    • Ferrari 186914, or Bosch 0221604013
    • Ferrari 188504 or Bosch 0221604012

Here's what the part looks like. Hope that helps some of you.

Dan

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Just want to post on update to this:

My car is a 2006 F430 Spider F1.
    One ignition coil failed Sept 2019 so I replaced it. It threw CEL code P0354, P0302, etc.
    Another ignition coil failed on Feb 2020, so I had my mechanic replace it.

I thought I'd go ahead and replace the rest preventively and not wait for another CEL to be thrown or engine misfires badly.
    Done. Car appears to pull much stronger / increased torque. Coils are aging so it's definitely worn out and reaching the end of its usable life.

Some additional info besides what I posted above:

Ferrari P/N: 186914= Bosch P/N 0221604013. (Cable length = 32 inches.)
    Ferrari P/N: 188504 = Bosch P/N 0221604012. (Cable length = 26 inches.)

It appears both ignition coils are the same except for the cable lengths. So if for some reason the 188504 is unavailable or way overpriced you can use 186904 and just coil & stow excess wire on the side connector disconnect panel.

Note that Maserati uses the same coil and it costs about 50% less than the same OEM Bosch coil inside a Ferrari box which includes the mandatory Ferrari Tax.

Sellers I have purchased from and had great experience are: Eurospares dot com, eBay by Carpartsinmotion & rtgroup11.

Hope this helps some of you.

Dan

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

JoeTSI, Flea7, I'm 360 Canuck and 3 others like this.
  3. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    Dan, Thanks for the update and follow up...Great information.!

whatheheck likes this.
  4. MJGinTX

MJGinTX Karting

Mar 30, 2019
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thanks Dan...so helpful. To be clear I would need 4 of each coil type for a total of 8?

whatheheck likes this.
  5. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for the appreciation.

6. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Matt!

Yes, you need a total of 8 Ignition Coils.

· 186914 / Bosch 0221604013 = IGNITION COIL 3,4,5,6.

· 188504 / Bosch 0221604012 = IGNITION COIL 1,2,7,8

Please see attached for all the info you need to replace your coils:
    Detailed info plus copy of Workshop Manual on step by step procedures.
    Easy to do.

Dan

Attached Files:

f355spider and lewishou like this.
  7. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    Dan, thanks for the great info! Would you mind sharing what type step that is? I’m going to be changing my valve cover gaskets and I could use a little more height.

whatheheck likes this.
  8. MJGinTX

MJGinTX Karting

Mar 30, 2019
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thank you so much Dan! :)

whatheheck likes this.
  9. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Got to get me a little set of steps like yours

whatheheck likes this.
  10. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    #10 Jgivoo, Apr 23, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    Nice steps. I need some of those

whatheheck likes this.
  11. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Great question!

It's a very handy step stool and cheap!

It's Harbor Freight 18" Step Stool. Here is a link:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/step-stool-working-platform-66911.html

Hope that helps.

Dan

f355spider and AandSC like this.
  12. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Mike, see my post #11 for info about the step I use.

Hope that helps.

Dan

13. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Pleae my post #11 for info about the step I use.

Very handy, stable and works great.

Hope that helps.

Dan

14. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    Thanks Dan! Greatly appreciated! Another trip to Harbor Freight coming up.

whatheheck likes this.
  15. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Here's a short 2 minute video I created after replacing the ignition coils.

Dan

16. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
  17. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I saw that when I searched the internet for best deals on F430 ignition coils and considered ordering from them but:
    1. Never heard of the seller. (Are they legit?)
    2. Price is way too low. You know what they say when its too good to be true (it's usually a scam.)
    3. Or it may take forever to receive the part and I hate down time on my favorite driving car.
    So for a few bucks more I decided to order from sellers I have ordered from in the past. (Eurospares & two eBay sellers I mentioned above.)

If you or anyone orders from them and had great experience kindly share with us as that is an unbeatable deal!

Here is the same part from a Ferrari dealer: https://algarferrari.com/store/coil-18314

Yikes!

18. Michael Parks

Michael Parks Rookie

Aug 23, 2018
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Michael Parks
    Thanks for posting this! It’s very useful.

I need to replace an ignition coil and may just replace all of them at the same time. Two questions from the attached files:

(1) It says “Avoid disconnecting the coil for long periods of time, as it might not be possible to obtain a good contact when re-fitting it. The power modules which transmit the control signal to the coils are located inside the Motronic ECU which,
    depending on the peculiar values stored in the memory, calculates the coil opening and closing angles, in
    accordance with the operating conditions (speed, battery voltage etc...).”.

What is considered too long?

(2) It says to carry out the self learn cycle after the coils are replaced. What are the steps for the self learn cycle? Is it the following steps I found in another non-coil thread?

“Cycle the main power switch, wait 15/20 sec (in other words disconnect then reconnect the battery).

Switch off A/C, fan, lights, radio etc.

Cycle the ignition in position II, wait 15/20 sec.

Start the engine and let it idle for min. 10/15 minutes.
    Don't switch on any electric devices during idling. Best is to wait until you hear the cooling fans start.

This will delete the "CEL"

Then just drive as normal.”

Thanks in advance for your help!

19. SpencerMarks

SpencerMarks Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2017
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Spencer
    I don’t know the answer to #1 but your answer to #2 is precisely correct. Same procedure you do whenever you disconnect main power to the car, this allows the ecu’s to refresh/reprogram.

20. Michael Parks

Michael Parks Rookie

Aug 23, 2018
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Michael Parks
    Thanks!

21. mathewr

mathewr F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2011
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Wheel Guru
    Excellent!

22. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    Brilliant, it seems tho that in general the advice you only replace coils when they fail, unlike say spark plugs, this happened on my 911 Turbo

23. Michael Parks

Michael Parks Rookie

Aug 23, 2018
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Michael Parks
    I’m not sure if the coils are binary in nature such that they either deliver current to the spark plug or they don’t or if the amount of current they deliver degrades over time. Also, it’s my understanding that they tend to fail at about the same time as they get older.

While replacing them isn’t too difficult, it is tedious and not something I would want to redo in a few months if another coil failed. Given the low cost per coil and the amount of labor to replace them, I’d at least replace all of them on the same bank if I was replacing one of them.

I was able to get the coils for ~$65 each on eBay from the UK. I ended up just replacing all 8 coils when I changed the plugs even though only one had failed. I figured that it would start to become an issue and an irritant that I could nip in the bud. Also, it was a good opportunity to teach my son a little about making repairs. That’s just me though. I can certainly understand why some may choose to do it differently.

I cannot believe how much better the car runs now - which I’m sure is mostly, if not all, due to the spark plugs. It’s actually surprisingly much quieter now. Don’t get me wrong, the car was fine before and was strong. I would best describe it as being more raw vs refined now. Having never owned a Ferrari and after Ferrari and independent mechanics have heard/driven it and never said anything, I thought that’s just how it was supposed to be.

I have very good service records on the car but noticed that I didn’t specifically see where the plugs had been changed. Lots of 2 year services at the dealer, etc. but no specific mention of the plugs. Having now removed them, I’m sure they were the original plugs. At 34k mikes it was definitely time. That won’t happen on my watch!

24. PAUROSO

PAUROSO Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Roland H Shaak
    #24 PAUROSO, Oct 1, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    Hi there,
    No problems here at 42xxxk miles. I worked at Raytheon missiles in El Paso in the 78ish period I BELIVE?? The MSD creators were reatheon engineers I heard, radar modulator dudes. It was a missile place….so since the first MSD 6’s with Mil Spec parts days through newer designs I’ve used them on a Saab 99 EMS jag 420 a Dino - Porsches up the….wife’s benz’s in the day of carb beasts plus talked many folks into using them …back before they were the name recognition and reputation

So, yesterday I contacted the special projects engineering portal folks and “told them of the issues I read plus added I’d like an amped up “system” and that the current part was a Bosch I do not know the electrical specs of the coil pack …blah and suggested/begged they look into building a new one or adapting an existing pack I suggested red of course but at this juncture not An issue tbd

I’ll keep you informed it’s very early in the process - R

25. MJGinTX

MJGinTX Karting

Mar 30, 2019
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have the Bosch coils as mentioned above. When I went to install today, I noticed that the shaft of the coil itself (that runs down and connects to the spark plug) is made of a soft, flexible rubber - vs the original one I have pulled out is much firmer and more rigid.

Has anyone experienced this with the Bosch replacements? I am wondering if it will be more difficult for them to seat onto the spark plug correctly.

Would appreciate and thought and experiences others have had.

Thanks

Matt

griffith500 likes this.