488 - Pistas selling for less than MSRP... | Page 29 | FerrariChat

488 Pistas selling for less than MSRP...

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 09Scuderia, Mar 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    best of luck be sure to post pictures

IloveGT likes this.
  2. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    64 doesn’t sound like that many Pista for sale as a percentage of the number delivered in the USA. If there were 2500 produced and 30% came to the US that would be 750 Pista delivered in the US. So 64 Pista would represent 8.5% of all deliveries for sale after two years or a bit above one per state. I bet half were owned by people lucky enough to have also received Pista Spiders and traded.

Caeruleus11, paulchua and Gh21631 like this.
  3. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Reasonable perspective which I know wont sit well with some here.

4. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Is there a chance Ferrari produces more Pistas than F8’s?

5. Rrr1

Rrr1 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rrr1
    What are people seeing spiders go for?

6. BG23

BG23 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2015
    Australia
    that had occurred to me as well. I don't know anyone getting an F8

7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    No.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    It seems highly unlikely - production time will probably be similar for both (about two years, considering that the current period is on hold) and the F8 is less expensive so has more potential buyers.
    It would take a total and drastic crash of the supercar market to reduce demand for the F8 below the achieved sales of the Pista.

9. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I don’t know. Sounds like kind of a lot to me. There are around 30 Performante’s for sale and around 1200 made it to the States. I don’t think enough of the cars ended up with the intended end user. As some of you know, I tried to secure an allocation, but was unsuccessful. My Ferrari ranking was (and still is) too modest to have been considered for a build slot.

nads likes this.
  10. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Agree it seems like a lot - specially after less than 2 years, if the total number of 750 US deliveries is assumed these deliveries include some that are only a few weeks ago.
    The allocations in the US were probably mismanaged (more than in Europe), favouring some flippers lured by the perspective of an easy profit. Which could only materialise for a few very first customers; I guess some are trying to exit with damage limitation now...

Thecadster likes this.
  11. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    I'm sorry but 64 advertised cars available at any given point (God knows how many un-advertised cars on top of that)........that is a lot for an 'in-demand' car, no matter how you do the math.

Clay512TR, blvckintl and Napoli like this.
  12. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Brings up a good point...aren’t we in a crash? Is anyone buying a $500k car these days? I would have considered a Pista if it weren’t for this horrible economic climate.
    I congratulate those who are able to weather the storm and buy an F8 or Pista right now...but what percent has sales dropped for Ferrari in this echelon, F8 and others?

Sent from my 16M

Thecadster likes this.
  13. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    If one didn’t get an allocation for the Pista which then highly touted, very exclusive, best customers only apply, buy a Lusso, etc....but now a short while later have 64 to choose from...with prices certainly to soften from here....I’d say that is a lot for sale...not special or exclusive at all.

blvckintl, Avia11, Thecadster and 3 others like this.
  14. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    In this economic shutdown , with a future that is highly unpredictable, clearly significant expenditures on luxury items will be curtailed. Some will, fortunately be in a financial position that will not be impacted but many others will. The result, the super car market can only contract at this point.

15. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i wld add onto that - one might have 500k to spend and a CGT in the 500s is better than a pista in the 400s. lots of competition between 100k at 1.3M

paulchua, Thecadster and nmcclure like this.
  16. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Just a quick follow up, not sure what it implies ultimately, but I just jumped on DuPont Registry for North America:
    (Didn’t drill down to look for duplicates, etc.)
    51 Pistas
    23 Speciales

17. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Are you looking at the CGT again?

Sent from my 16M

18. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    #718 plastique999, Apr 22, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    Speciales seem low?
    Although they may be more advertised on eBay and Autotrader platforms...

Edit: searched Autotrader, 22 Speciales, 11 SA’s. Surprised prices are consistently asking $359-399....hasn’t dropped too much in the last 5 years.
    Sent from my 16M

19. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Where is a $500k cgt?!

Thecadster likes this.
  20. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yes!

paulchua likes this.
  21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    higher mile is what im looking for

22. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Over the years I have followed Speciales for sale on DR. Usually something like 17-22 pretty consistently, year in and year out.

23. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I can't imagine anyone is. What's the incentive? The potential good deals haven't even begun to show up yet. The last recession knocked exotics down massively and that was already from lower prices and less competition. The market is flooded with great exotics from tons of brands and they're better and constantly launching new ones. The potential downturn has only just barely showed up. It's only been about 30 days of lock down for most of the world. The next 30-60 days will either be great and a huge economic improvement, or Pista will be in the low 300s since the economic fallout will be insane.

Tons of companies even beginning the layoff white collar workers and high earning professionals are also suffering.

24. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    plenty of guys sitting home bored and spending money - if you had a 300K annual travel/vacation spend, now u buy another car etc...

25. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I agree with this. My monthly outgo has dropped substantially. Not eating out alone is probably saving $3-4,000/month. Plus no travel, no entertainment, no $1,000/seat sporting events, etc. That’s the good news, the bad news is, I am no longer making money either.

PPP will probably bust me even through June. After June, it will depend on a combination of how fast business spools back up again and how fast I can right size my business. For me at least, the problem with cars getting dramatically cheaper is that it probably means that my income was reduced dramatically in the process. Personally, I would prefer more expensive cars and more income. Naturally, YMMV.