Trade a Speciale in for Pista? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Trade a Speciale in for Pista?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by tickerhound, Apr 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    If it was a perfect world for me, I think I’d choose the Pista coupe and the Speciale Aperta. Financials aside, the most glorious thing about the Speciale is audibly on display with the SpecialeA rear window rolled down. I was never a spider guy until I drove the Portofino, and now I crave the open air experience. The Pista, as a more focused driving car, makes more sense to me as a coupe...not that the Spider isn’t beautiful.

2. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Folks if it all about the sound then get a Performante and be done with it. IMO it sounds way better than either of these cars.

3. twist-a-grip

twist-a-grip Karting

Oct 25, 2013
    My only Pista experience was a spirited 10 minute spin in a buddy's car on some windy country roads, similar to where I drive. It's a fantastic car, but I prefer the fizz of the Speciale. Since it doesn't appear you've owned a Speciale, I'd be curious as to how much seat team you've had in a Speciale to come to a conclusion it is "several steps backwards" compared to your Pista. No doubt the Pista has the upper hand, but I didn't find there to be a dramatic performance advantage.

4. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    I’m shallow.

The Pista represents one of the most beautiful, most visually sorted cars to have come out of post-Pininfarina Ferrari. The Speciale represents a fussier, less sorted design language which is evidence of Ferrari’s picking up the pieces from Pininfarina as they figure out how to take design fully in-house...certain bits and angles flatter (I’m particularly fond of the rear 1/4 angle) and then there are other areas that just leaves me scratching my head, particularly the front.

The Pista looks great from every angle, at least to my eyes, and shows a cohesive design language thought through from start to finish. I lust for Pista when I see it. I know the sound will NEVER compare to any NA Ferrari of years past, including the Speciale, Scuderia, CS, and hey, I’m fine with that...I don’t really need a sound byte when I’m looking at it.

C’mon already, when are we going to start seeing Covid-19 pista pricing already!?

Reiziger, Gh21631, Coincid and 2 others like this.
  5. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    The Speciale is not even in the same discussion performance wise. I've driven one enough to know this. Again, this is not to take away from one but please it's no comparison. The comparison is silly. If your preference is sound then I gave my opinion, the rest the Pista wins all day every day.

Coincid, LVP488 and ferrame like this.
  6. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    You have good taste

7. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I remember when some made the same argument with the CS and Scud - some just hang on to the nostalgia, they cant let go.

I knew this thread would end up in the this direction, these threads get you nowhere.

Coincid and LVP488 like this.
  8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Always be the more valuable car? Not where I am. The Speciales I see that actually moves here in Europe, don't go for more than Pistas. The Pista is hugely popular.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Gh21631 likes this.
  9. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    I own both but if I could only keep one, it’d be the Speciale.

10. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    Each iteration of these VS V8 Ferraris has added performance and refinement.

For the most part, the added performance is universally welcomed, though one could argue that with the Pista it’s harder to find places to use the power.

The added refinement is less universally loved. Many people think the Stradale is the best of the bunch because of how raw it is.

I’ve had all of the VS V8s and currently own a Speciale and a Pista. The Pista is easily the most refined of the VS cars. The suspension is smoother, there’s more sound deadening, and the turbo exhaust, while tamer than the predecessors, doesn’t overwhelm the experience and allows other aspects of the car to shine. I wouldn’t call the Pista a GT, bit it’s certainly moreso than the Speciale.

If I had to choose between the Speciale and Pista I think I’d choose the Speciale because I have other cars and like to have a rawer car to use on occasion. If I could only have one car (other than a DD) I’d go with the Pista because of the performance and usability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LMH, tickerhound, uhn2000 and 2 others like this.
  11. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    If the view through the engine window is important to you then no competition at all. The Speciale still shows a beautiful engine and you can see the valve covers/engine. The view on the Pista is a bit disappointing with all the covers and plumbing.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  12. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Yeah, Pista engine bay sucks. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Caeruleus11, Coincid and LVP488 like this.
  13. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Sucks is harsh and I find the engine bay looks better in person. It's a Ferrari after all but the latest iteration with all the plumbing and covers hides the engine IMHO.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  14. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    i actually like how it looks. like some serious machinery with the iron man gadget in it.

PTG1 likes this.
  15. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    The view may not be as traditional as the Speciale, but compared to any other comparable car, it is by far the best and you can actually see it.

16. mysockshurt

mysockshurt Rookie

Apr 11, 2018
    Also own both, i would keep the speciale if i had to sell one. Evokes much more emotion when driving it, pista is almost too fast.
    Plus the N/A V8 sounds amazing

17. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

I know, I am just messing around because the premise of this thread has become another mine is better than yours.

18. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Its incredibly beautiful back there with the carbon options.

19. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Never complained about a car being too fast.

Gh21631 likes this.
  20. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Took both my Pista Spider and Speciale to a local track for the FCA 2019 event. Drove a couple sessions with the Speciale while wife drive the Pista and through it was great. Then I drove the Pista on the track...

Pista all the way. Not even close from a driving experience and the Speciale sat the rest of the day unwanted as both my wife and I took turns sharing the Pista.

Gh21631 likes this.
  21. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
  22. leopoldo

leopoldo Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2013
    Full Name:
    mark1
    An idea could be to buy a scuderia ( great car ,super sound ,super feelings and now good price for buyers ! ) and a pista . Pista for me ,has a more instant classic design than a speciale .... in 10 years all of these cars will be old but u will own ( IMHO ) the best design ( pista ) together with another car with A great sound and raw feelings ( challenge stradale is also very nice but too slow for my taste ) .

23. LMH

LMH Karting

May 5, 2019
    Spain
    If you value drama, sound,... Speciale. The most powerful ever NA V8, that will never fade as there are no new NA engines from this brands. Is something unique from the past.

Fast turbo cars with discrete sound, in the near future there will be plenty. The F8 already has the same engine, and the McLaren 765LT is already faster than the Pista. All next gen hybrids will have turbo engines and will be way faster than any. For me the fact that a car is “super quick” will be a commodity of the future with the electrification.

Both fantastic cars, my vote goes to Speciale

mclaren slr, Camelot, Ruperto and 6 others like this.
  24. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    Pista owners love Pistas and Speciale owners love Speciales.
    Boy, I didn't see that one coming.
    At FOA in Atlanta they have a really nice Fuji over red leather one for sale. Car is mega loaded. It has every cheap looking matte finish carbon option and lord knows what else that put its MSRP around 530 +/- . Price has already dropped 100K since being on their website. Car now way below MSRP.
    I am unaware of any Speciale dropping that much in the past month. Doesn't make one car better than another. It is only saying what the market says about each car's value.

Best

IloveGT and gderek like this.