How to turn off oil change needed? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

How to turn off oil change needed?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by F430kenric, Jul 23, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AutoNation

AutoNation Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Tom
    a bi-directional tool is a must have, under these circumstances.

2. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    I dropped my car off yesterday, Saturday. I'll query my service dept again on pick up. Thanks for pointing out the issue more succinctly. The dealership I use was just voted by FNA, "the best service dept. in the world." Not sure if that is based on how much they can fleece the owners for or actual skill. LOL

of2worlds likes this.
  3. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks! Anxious to hear their opinion

4. Randyslovis

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    Just picked up my car and this is what I found out.

Yes, there are only 8 spaces for the "wrench" reset.

Yes, Ferrari can download the software to restart the 8 year cycle.

BUT and this is a BIG BUT, the wrench icon is almost totally useless!! Its only function is to remind the owner during the first 7 years to get his car serviced on time! It does NOT have the ability/functions of other manufacturer's computers analyzing your driving pattern to recommend when your next service should be done.

My tech said he has told his clients to pass on the update. (If someone doesn't know when they brought their car in or serviced it last I don't know what to say.) Plus he says my dealer keeps track and contacts the clients to remind them. I was contacted about my service long in advance. Dealers may be doing this routinely as the increased deliveries/volume of cars out there is likely forcing them to stay up to date on service needs of their clients.

Lastly, I really don't want Ferrari "in" my computer. I do not trust Ferrari with this kind of tech and lord only knows what code might get messed up in a non-mandatory update.

Net: the icon is pretty much useless. Put a reminder in your phone for free and call it a day.

Best

italiafan, up4speed and of2worlds like this.
  5. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Sounds like what I guessed. But just to confirm. After the 8th (or 7th) reset, we will never see that dumb wrench again, right?

6. Randyslovis

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    That is how I understand it.

Best

up4speed likes this.
  7. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I think Ferrari connects to your computer every time they do service or repair. The days of holding a screw driver from the valve cover to your year are over!

8. Randyslovis

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    Yes,
    But interrogating my computer vs downloading things are different acts. Reading my computer's info is one thing. And of course they can update software that is required without my approval. I am simply saying the less Ferrari messes with the workings of my electronics the happier I am. Be it a real or imaginary concern. This is a case of a useless computer function I have the option of Ferrari leaving alone.

Best

Solid State likes this.
  9. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I certainly understand your concern. Its valid of course. I don't trust the dealer with my paint job or the leather on my seats! The process of connecting to your comms bus is mandatory for basic maintenance now and they do updates all the time. Resetting the counter for the wrench is likely innocuous and much less of a concern than reflashing a version of software but if you don't like it then keep them away for sure. I've only seen the wrench once in six years as I seem to get the annual before its due. However, I'm coming up on being in your situation and its just another concern like the stickies folks say are inevitable.

10. Ricambio

Ricambio Karting

Dec 30, 2016
    I just did a service in a F. 458, although, it came with remaining 19k kms on it but 0 days left for service, I did connect our Autel bi directional scanner and did the reset procedure it only ask you that the display is set the hour/date accordingly and done....now display something in the 20k kms range service and 365 days left.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  11. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Well .... 2012 458 .... and it’s back ....

The green wrench ... and 2 OBD tools ELM could not reach the service reset ...

Which tool should I get (in Europe) .... ?

12. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
  13. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    Did the Launch tool not work for you?

14. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The Launch X431 Pro Mini will clear that no problem!
    It's probably the last one for you if I had to guess

15. F485

F485 Karting

Oct 23, 2017
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Full Name:
    Fahad F458
    u should get a specific obd tool to clear that

16. Frank_N

Frank_N Rookie

Apr 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Anyone knows which obd scanner to reset oil service in a California and also diagnose a possible clutch speed sensor issue? Thanks

17. D-Gunz

D-Gunz Rookie

Apr 9, 2013
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    David W.
    I have a 2011 California, and mine just did the same thing and looks like your screen with "dashes". So you are saying I can pay $500 from a dealer to get "8 more wrenches back" and the "Date/mileage" to show up? I too keep meticulous records and do all the work myself. I had my Maserati for 7y and did all the annuals with no prob, bummer this is a Ferrari thing...

18. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yes, that is correct. After 8 resets, it shows dashes, and doesn't remind you anymore. Only way to gain 8 more alerts, is to take to Ferrari dealer to have it done.
    I just change my oil every fall since I only put about 2,200 miles/yr on it.

19. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Hum ..... if you have access to a Launch X431 29e with the optional Ferrari firmware, that might do the trick.