458 - Feel a bit dumb asking but How do you turn on the radio???s | FerrariChat

458 Feel a bit dumb asking but How do you turn on the radio???s

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by s4play, Mar 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. s4play

s4play Karting

Oct 25, 2006
    I received my car but the dealer didn't include the owners manual books. He promised to get it for me but that is a different story.

I've tried every button on the radio panel including pushing the volume control button, but no sound? Am I doing something wrong?

Raining here in CA so have nothing to do but learn about the car...

thanks!

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    The thread linked above now should help - also you may get some useful links from the 458 discussion sticky

If you'd like some pdf pm email with exact model etc

3. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    Don't feel dumb. I leave my radio on, and just rotate the volume knob when I want to hear it. I've spent HOURS trying to figure out
    the infotainment system on my car, and frankly just gave up. There's a switch on the back side of the steering wheel that work with the radio,
    I think to change channels, but I don't mess with it anymore. I have the original manual, and frankly it's better than nothing, but it still leaves a LOT to be desired. There was another manual available for early cars, and it had some information in it, that wasn't in the manual for the later cars.

The year I bought the car, a friend and I went to Monterey California for car week. A six hundred mile drive each way. Coming back I spent HOURS trying to figure out the entire system, while he drove. Managed to load some CD's into it, which frankly I've never figured out how to get back into that mode again. that was FOUR years ago.

4. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    (I posted on your other read, repeating here . . . )

What does your right screen display? If it's the speedometer you need to press and hold the BackView button for about five seconds to get it to change to the main menu which will give you your choice of navigation / media / phone / radio. The button on the back of the right side of the steering wheel lets you change sources for media between ipod, hard drive, cd, radio, satellite.

5. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    https://www.ferrarifl.com/template/pdf/manuals/ferrari/458spider.pdf

This should tide you over until your Owners Manual arrives. I purchased a 458 Spider in January and while I did receive all of my manuals I find the on-line version easy to use on my iPad. If you need the Italia version just go to the same website and you find it there. A huge thanks to Ferrari of Fort Lauderdale for posting them.

6. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    My daughter played with the radio once in my 458. I have never even tried to use it. The music the motor makes does it for me!

7. s4play

s4play Karting

Oct 25, 2006
    thanks fellas - all of your pointers helped! I never had this much trouble with any car's stereo to turn it on!

Got the radio working and even programmed a few stations. Luckily I'm still very old school and have CD's so that will be fine for those rare moments I want to listen to something in traffic.

8. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    The radio typifies what I dislike about modern cars. Making a previously simple task difficult and complex.

9. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    First thing I did with radio is set that speed sensitive volume as low as it went. Such an annoying feature

10. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    Can you clarify what you are talking about? It sounds like some sort of automatic volume leveling, which is something I would really like on my 458. At least I can turn the volume up/down easily with my left hand on the steering wheel during frequent acceleration/deceleration.

11. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Pretty much that, I have never liked it in any car that has had it. Not sure if it's in 458 but here is how to use it in 488

System settings To access the system settings from the main screen, select SETTINGS or press the OPTIONS button on the right satellite. Audio control Once you are in the SETUP menu, press the “Audio” soft key to access the audio control menu. You can adjust the balance/fading and equalisation of the stereo system, activate/deactivate “Quantum Logic” (if present) and adjust the volume according to the speed on this page. To adjust the balance and fading, press the arrow soft keys. The equalizer settings can be used to adjust the bass (BASS), mid (MID) and treble (TREB) levels. Press the “Quantum Logic” soft key to activate/deactivate the option. The volume can be adjusted to the speed on 3 levels or deactivated.

rob5819 likes this.
  12. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    I appreciate the explanation, I had a feeling you were going to say 488. The 458 does not have that option. Setup / Audio Controls just has Treble / Midrange / Bass / Balance / Reset. No quantum logic. I have a similar feature in my other cars and actually really like it. Driving hard with the top down and then coming to a stop I have to be really fast in turning the music down if someone else is in the car with me.

13. s4play

s4play Karting

Oct 25, 2006
    I'm plenty happy with just the radio - just wanted some background music. This car is not my audiophile car setup so local radio station is fine for me.