Thinking about a Ferrari, new to the Pony world | FerrariChat

Thinking about a Ferrari, new to the Pony world

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by PA32Pilot, Mar 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    Greetings! I currently own a Lamborghini and am thinking of scratching another itch every man has had in their lifetime, the Ferrari.

I am really considering the California, I like that is has a second row so my family of 3 can actually enjoy it. With the 2 seaters it limits our use as for now I basically just drive it with my daughter who is 8.

Another option I like is the 430, just that Ferrari style that makes me go oh baby!

A convertible is a must, we are in Southern California and my daughter loves the top down.

My Lamborghini was very user-friendly, I did all the maintenance and repairs mostly myself. How are the Ferraris? Any big items to look out for?

Any info is appreciated and I'll be browsing the forum sucking up all the info :)

paulchua likes this.
  2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Based on your requirements, I would say the Cali or Portofino is the only way to go. You will find either car much easier to service than the Lambo.

As far as things to look out for, read through the California/Portofino forum.

paulchua likes this.
  3. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    Took the wife to a dealership, liked the California but said it was more of a daily driver and not a weekend car.

Looked at other models and she liked the 430 over the 458.

4. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I've been thinking of a Cali if I have to get rid of my 911 and want to get back to a sports car in the future. That rear seating IS really cool.

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    What are your plans for the rear seats? Great for small pets, groceries, Costco runs, etc. For anything other than small children, they're largely useless IMO. I love my Cali, but if rear seating is important, it's not the way to go. Again IMO...T

6. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    Exactly, my daughter is 8 and she’ll fit maybe 2 more years.

tomc likes this.
  7. No-Subt2

No-Subt2 Karting

May 6, 2019
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Danny
    Ferrari FF or GTC4 Lusso; however, they are not convertibles. They have a great sound.

8. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    You might want to take your wife for a spin in both a Calf and a 430. I had 2 430's and a Calf T (have a 458 spider now), she might change her mind after being in both cars. Good luck in your search

9. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I've had two F430 spiders! Both were great cars and completely fulfill the F-car top down experience.... They are gone now to new owners and I moved to the 488.
    Take the car for a ride that makes your heart skip a beat...PPI it and than buy it and enjoy! Life is short!

Reacherman1022 likes this.