360 - Why not warming up!? | FerrariChat

360 Why not warming up!?

Discussion in '360/430' started by obertRo, Feb 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. obertRo

obertRo Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2014
    Holland, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    2004 360 gated Spider

I hope someone can help me...
    My temp started not coming up last September, so after consulting Fchat I figured my thermostat was sticking open, and made this a winter project.

I just finished replacing it with a new one, and after a good 20 min highway drive it Still isn't coming up!:mad:
    The vents are blowing cold air and the guages are showing as in the pic (taken after drive).

It IS 25 degrees out in Michigan today, but I can't figure out how this is possible?! I mean, the new thermostat is closed when installed, so even if defective, how can the engine Not warm up quickly?!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    160 degrees is lower than normal ..did you buy a 165 thermostat ? Did you use a themo gun to test the temp if housing .. couldnit be a flip motor is failing

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

3. obertRo

obertRo Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2014
    Holland, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I bought the standard #183758 thermostat from Maranello Parts in the UK.
    I don't own a thermo gun, but I did lift the boot lid and the engine did give off heat--but that really doesn't mean much. I don't know what a "flip motor" is??

4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Flap motor ..controls the damper in ac unit to control heat and cold ..also there is the solenoid that control coolant flow to ac unit

pilotoCS likes this.
  5. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Those temps look about right to me. About what we experience after a 20 min freeway drive drive downhill in 30 degree temps. The big difference though, is our 360 has heat starting from the vents in less than a mile! This at 20 MPH on a private road also downhill, and maybe 30 sec idle before starting out. The system in these cars is somewhat complicated. You have a valve which must actuate and a pump which circulates water from the starboard radiator through the heater core. Another cause of no heat is low coolant level as the temperature sensor is located very high in the radiator for some strange reason.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with the thermostat. There's a very good description of the system in the owner's manual. After checking the coolant level, I would start with the usual suspects (fuses/relay) for the pump and valve.

obertRo likes this.
  6. obertRo

obertRo Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2014
    Holland, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Even if the valve controlling flow to the heater core was bad, it would only have an incremental impact on engine temp, right? Oil temp (approx engine temp) should be about 230 right? I was surprised to see my water temp climb before my oil temp reached 230. Is my brand new thermostat opening Early?!? I did not test it on my stovetop.

7. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Correct on flow control valve .. but the normally coolant gets hot within 5 mins if driving and oil takes longer .. .. coolant will stop at around 190 ..but oil may go higher if pushed hard ..over 210 etc

obertRo likes this.
  8. obertRo

obertRo Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2014
    Holland, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Hmmm, thanks for the input. What oil and water temp should I be seeing after a warm up period?

9. bobby355

bobby355 Karting

May 21, 2009
    Your gauges are exactly where they should be. Summertime in rush hour traffic you’ll see they’ll go higher.

10. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Temps are normal. In addition, the water always heats up faster than the oil.

11. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Totally normal. Mine does the same in cold weather.... only comes up in traffic.

DOWORKFCAR likes this.
  12. obertRo

obertRo Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2014
    Holland, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Thanks guys. I guess I'm glad to know my temps are normal...but now I need to fix my cabin heating.

Shad99--thanks for the tips--especially to review my owner's manual so I can understand the system better. I'm used to working on 1960's cars...and things are indeed a bit more complicated!

I see just one fuse to check (Water Recirc Pump) behind the DS seat. Did I miss any others?
    And I'm going to hope I don't have a bad Heater Control Valve #2 in diagram (I didn't see a fuse for that).

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. obertRo

obertRo Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2014
    Holland, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Shoot. Water Recirc Pump fuse is good.

14. irix

irix Karting

Aug 28, 2015
    Germany
    Full Name:
    J.B
    Just to be sure.... your AC control is turned ON?!? Because if you switch it to off you dont get any clima control in general which mean NO HEATING at all.

Regards,
    Joerg

DOWORKFCAR likes this.
  15. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    What's wrong? Gauges look about right to me...

16. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    Now granted I have a 1982 Mondial - but when I put it away in October, it was 37 degrees out. I drove 12miles to the gas station out in the country - doing mainly 50-60mph, then drove 12miles home (with stabil I put in before I left the house) and my water temp never got all the way up AND my oil temp hardly got above the first bar. Ferrari's do not like cold temps, at least the older ones. Maybe don't worry about it until May or so..... Good luck.