high oil pressure 550 98 | FerrariChat

high oil pressure 550 98

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by asalcedo, Apr 16, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. asalcedo

asalcedo Karting

Mar 20, 2005
    In a recent trip with my Ferrari 550 1998, I have noticed that the oil pressure stays high, at about 7-7.5 bars at normal rpms and oil temperature.

I think that, before, the oil pressure was between 5 and 6 bars in similar conditions, which is what the manual mentions as normal operating range.

All other indicators, oil and water temperature are fine. The car drives well.

Is 7.5 bar too high? What could be the cause? Any potential damage?

The car is due for a service in a few days time, should I mention this to the mechanics?

Thanks,

Anton

2. 575M-Nero

575M-Nero Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2006
    I glanced at my oil pressure yesterday and noted it was higher than I expected for mid to low rpm's. Think I saw a 7 reading around 3k rpm.

3. hansw

hansw Karting

Mar 12, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Hans J Weber
    I experienced the same problem a couple of years ago on my 550, at about 25,000 miles. The indicated oil pressure kept going up. It turns out that the problem was a failing pressure sensor at the front bottom of the engine. Replacing the sensor completely eliminated the problem.

4. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    I have mentioned this before. The sender seems to not like a lot of revs.- i.e. high oil pressure. Most of my mileage is on the track with the engine between 5 and 7K+rpm and I have gone through 4 senders in a year. The last time it decided to show no pressure at all, rather than the usual overly high reading, so I made the decision to change to a mechanical gauge.

F456M likes this.
  5. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    would you tell me mileage? since i have only 6000 on my 2000 and have had it on track only one day(550) any oil pressure problems are good to know about

6. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    The issue is there are no oil pressure problems, the sender just gives bogus readings.

7. 575M-Nero

575M-Nero Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2006
    What is normal Maranello pressure per RPM?

8. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    It varies depending on the temp and viscosity of the oil e.g.
    Cold Warm Hot Very Hot
    Idle 7+ 5 3 1.5
    7K ?? Max 6-7 4-5

9. asalcedo

asalcedo Karting

Mar 20, 2005
    Thank you for your replies.

I will ask the Ferrari Service to look into the pressure sensor.

I do think there may be an issue with high revs. My high oil pressure reading happened, I think, just after a few moments of high revs in low gear.

10. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I have the same problem with a one week old new sensor!! Or is it possible that the engine actually HAVE too high pressure? The car runs perfect!
    View attachment 2888791

Attached Files:

11. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I believe the sensor is upstream of the filters. Too high a pressure might indicate partially or fully blocked oil filters.

There appears to be a pressure adjusting valve on the pump. The workshop manual has this dire warning:

Pressure is determined by the preload of spring "4" [in the valve]. This value is set during engine design and must never be altered.

308 GTB likes this.
  12. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Is it possible the sender is in contact with the sway bar causing a short to ground? Failing motor mounts will cause this.

I have remoted my sender, it is a simple task, you can put it anywhere you want with a bit of hose.

308 GTB likes this.
  13. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Something like that about to happen would have been noticed at the time the sender was replaced.

The contacts on your new sender are clean. Try cleaning the connector. And once this is sorted out, get John Cribb's oil pressure sender boot available at Ricambi America: Oil Pressure Sender Cover

14. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I replaced the sender with a new one from Superformance last week. Just did a trip from Monaco to Venezia, up to Milano for a having a look at the awesome Alfa Romeo museum, and back. It is pretty strange how the needle act. Idle when warm shows about 2 bar of pressure. At 2.900-3000, it shows around 5 bars. But just over that, around 3.100-3.300, the needle bounce up to 10 and more revs sometimes show less and sometimes way beyond the scale at «12». I called the seller, and they can offer to refund and send me a new one If the one I send in is faulty..... It is quite a bit of work to change it as the car must come up, undertray down, stabilizer bar come off, both front wheels come off, old sender out (and the oil pours out too). Really anoying bow when I did all this myself and I have to do it over again.

15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Sounds more like you have a short or bad contact somewhere in the wiring or gauge. Works fine up until a certain voltage from the sensor, and then goes bad.

16. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Thanks. I have noticed that the vibrating sound from the high pressure dry sump oil pump is sometimes more present than before. Or it is just that I notice it more. I don’t know actually... Why is it making that sound? Is it some kind of over pressure relief valve that opens up? Both my oil filters are just a couple of months old. I can’t understand why the engine can have more oil pressure than normal. And it is quite strange that a brand new original sensor will fail after a few days.

17. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Is the oil temperature ok? If there was a blockage somewhere, I would expect unusual pressure and temperature.

There is a pressure relief valve, but I don't know what it does with the oil (dumps overboard or recirculates). Might be a good idea to at least check the filters for contamination and recheck oil levels. I assume the magnetic gearbox plug was checked on your last oil change.

18. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I changed oil and filters in October and have done 7.000 kms. since. Should be no reason for two (both) clogged filters. Both level and oil temp is normal. The gearbox oil magnetic plug you mention is at the rear gearbox, and I would guess those are two different oil systems separate from each other? I have actually bought a new gearbox oil filter, and will change it soon.

19. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Sorry, yes, you are correct. Not sure why I said that :confused:

If your temperature is ok, then I would lean towards an(other) indication problem or pressure control. Have you been using the recommended oil type?

F456M likes this.
  20. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I used Castrol Magnatech 10W40 full synthetic.