Wolf and Stroll to ? buy Mercedes F1?? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Wolf and Stroll to ? buy Mercedes F1??

Discussion in 'F1' started by Sig. Roma, Jan 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Even?

2. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    that’s not why I dislike him. I dislike him because he acted like a spoilt brat at Williams and threw them under the bus at every turn.

If you are going to be a “gentleman driver” at least have the good grace to act like a gentleman! Nobody has the right to act like a spoilt brat, regardless of how much money you have or don’t have.

still all gives something to chat about !!!

Adrian Thompson likes this.
  3. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    Now, there I disagree. Once I'm promoted to my rightful position as benevolent Dictator of the universe I will have all records corrected. They will then, correctly, show Damon Hill as a two time WDC, 94 and 96. People mistakenly think that MS is a seven time champion. Sorry, but driving your title rival off the track to win, in a car that was documented as illegal, doesn't make you a WDC. His record will be corrected to six titles. Also, while I agree that DH isn't in the same league as Prost, LCH, Senna, MS, Clark, Hill Sn, Stewart, Fangio, Moss etc. He is every bit as good, talented and deserving the likes of Rosberg(s), Scheckter, Hulme, The Ice man, Button etc. When you look at what he did in 94 after the death of Senna it was amazing. HE was still a relative rookie, he suddenly found himself as team lead of a team in disarray after the death of a legend. He had to help sort out what was a initially an evil handling car, help bring in a rookie team mate etc. He certainly drove outstandingly given the circumstances and brought it back to win the championship, even if the record books are currently wrong.

william likes this.
  4. Adrian Thompson

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    I can't argue with that sentiment.

5. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Unfortunately Hill desparately went for an ever decreasing gap. Rookie mistake. Damon has since admitted it. Kudos to his honesty.

6. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
    You should not forget that Schumacher in 1994 was disqualified in England and Belgium and he was not allowed to race in Italy and Portugal. With the points that he could have obtained in those 4 races, surely he would have been world champion before Australia and therefore that maneuver would not have been necessary. You should consider all the things that have happened throughout the season and not just the facts that suit you to justify your opinion.

7. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    For some people, and I am one of them, there will always be dark clouds hanging over the legitimacy of Schumacher's 1994 title.
    He was only disqualified twice for technical infringement, but his car was probably illegal all year.
    Also, the move against Damon Hill should have brought a total disqualification as it did in 1997 against Jacques Villeneuve.
    Michael Schumacher was treated with leniency by a FIA that protected Ferrari at the time.

8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    #34 Bas, Jan 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    The car wasn't illegal. Benetton had exhaust blown diffuser, THAT's the noise that Senna heard and made him suspicious of Benetton employing traction control, as the sound is quite similar. It also explains, in part, why there was such a big gap between schumacher and all his teammates. Schumacher, (like Vettel did as an example) understood how to take full advantage and had the confidence the aerodynamics would sort themselves out and make the car stick.

On top of that Schumacher perfected left foot braking at this point, allowing him to manipulate the car with the throttle much easier.

Schumacher won the title despite the FIA doing their very best to get damon to win it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

stavura and SimCity3 like this.
  9. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
    Well here Bas Jaski clearly explains that the car was legal.
    In my point of view, the sanctions imposed on those 4 races seemed too excessive. Therefore this allowed me to justify the Australian maneuver. At that moment I felt that was totally right that Schumacher was World Champion and I still think the same now.

furoni, stavura and Bas like this.
  10. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    What about the launch control and illegal fueling system?

william likes this.
  11. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Agree. Also bear in mind that just a few years prior, Senna deliberately crashed into Prost to win the title...even saying it beforehand he would do so. And that championship was allowed.

stavura, 375+ and pilotoCS like this.
  12. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    It wasn't a blown diffuser. Benetton engineer Willem Toet explains here: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-rotational-inertia-led-traction-control-willem-toet/ how it was done and why it was legal. Basically, Benetton weren't the only ones doing it but they were better at it (and had a better driver at the wheel) than some of their competition.

It is rather pathetic that F1 teams shout about other teams cheating so frequently when really it is just that the other team has been cleverer than them and found a technical advantage that they didn't.

13. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Yes exactly. Not for the last time, the FIA were mucking about trying to keep the championship alive until the last race. It would have been a travesty if Schumacher had not won the title in 1994 because of that. Having said that, he/Benetton were inviting censure for some of the things they were doing. Playing silly games on the parade lap at Silverstone, for example, was just stupid.

14. Adrian Thompson

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    What about the fact that Benetton did have illegal software in their system with hidden trigger that couldn't been seen when plugging in the lap top? The car was illegal, that is not disputable. Are we supposed to believe that the team had, and knew they had illegal, hidden software, but they they didn't go that extra mile and use said installed hidden software? I don't believe that.

Regardless, just suppose that everything at Benetton was 100% legal and above board (it wasn't) then I still claim Hill is a much better overall driver than people give him credit for. He really stepped up to the plate and delivered. Even if he lost it he took the WDC down to the wire in massively difficult circumstances and won it two years later. He is most certainly a deserving WDC which was the original point I debated when Flavio_C stated 'Well, Damon Hill was not WDC material either...'

ktu and william like this.
  15. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    I am confused, what does a driver that Autosport does not even rank in their top 40 drivers list and Schumacher have to do with Stroll, Wolff and Mercedes? Talk about a non-sequitor...

16. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Plenty of people disliked Mike Tyson's antics.

Doesn't mean he wasn't the greatest at what he did, smashing new world records.

Some preffered Frank Bruno because he was British

stavura and Bas like this.
  17. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    The decision to allow Senna to win the title in these circumstances was a total disgrace, and an abdication of duty on the part of the FIA.
    Thankfully, they disqualified Schumacher for doing the same against Villeneuve a few years later.

ktu likes this.
  18. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    In 94 benetton ran quite aggressive blown diffuser and opened r e throttle .Hill, herbert both testified to this. Even graphical overlay aailable .

Igor Ound likes this.
  19. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Keep crying...maybe they can get a title back to damon...oh, by the way, talk to your buddy Elton and tell him to return the 2008 cup to Massa, because he didn't win it, he just bought it from the FIA.
    6 times world champion?, LOLOLOLO,
    Damon was as average as it gets, i remeber Shumacher saying he would not put him in the top 5 in 95 and 94, i think he was being polite, he wasn't even a top 10 driver. Michael, Alesi, Berger, Mika, Herbert, Frentzen, Trulli, and others could run rings around him....

Igor Ound likes this.
  20. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Race team owner:: "How do I end up with a small fortune after racing?"
    Obvious Answer: "Start with a huge fortune before hand".

A348W likes this.