How to get your iPhone to play music in a 458 spider | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How to get your iPhone to play music in a 458 spider

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by David Mazzei, Oct 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The music stays on in the car until you open the door - radio or iPod. Is that what you are referring to?

On mine, using the iPod connector, I originally was using an iPod nano and just leaving it connected all the time in the glove box. Then later I changed to using my iPhone instead, which I connect and disconnect when entering or leaving the car.

Ray

2. James A

James A Rookie

Jan 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    James Ashworth
    Thanks Dustman and Ray for the replies.

It was the fact that the device plugged in appears to be always taking power which just seemed odd, especially when it's usual to leave them for long periods.

I'll put it down to Ferrari charm :D

3. ferrone

ferrone Karting

Aug 20, 2006
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Don
    will this device work with Samsung or strictly with iphone

4. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Bovee? It’s bluetooth so agnostic to platform.

5. TheDiffuser

TheDiffuser Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Great use of the word 'agnostic.' A non believing Bluetooth device!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I realize this is an old thread but has anyone seen the other end of the ipod cable. I other words I am wondering if it can be unplugged and then a lightning cable can be plugged in so you can use a more up to date iPhone to play music through apps on the phone like pandora. I am going to see if I can get something from Ferrari parts department at Algar, but so far I have not been able to find anything about the connector.

7. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Morrie, I remember when I had my 458 I couldn’t get it to work because the iPhone was new and the software couldn’t be read. It works fine with a “Classic IPod “. I fixed the problem with an expensive fix and bought a 488. Everything works now. Best , Kirk.

Melvok, Carnut, Shahaf and 1 other person like this.
  8. Rdwaggie

Rdwaggie Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2018
    I have an adapter and it works well with my iPhone 8. I also have a Bovee and it works but sporadically cuts out for a split second while playing songs - maybe once every few minutes. Anyone else have this issue with their Bovee?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I'm attaching a photo I dug up, which shows the other side of the iPod cable for the 458 Italia.

It's not as easy as you are probably envisioning :)

To accomplish what you want to do, you'd have to trace the pinouts of each cable, then cut both of them apart, slide out the connectors on the purple Ferrari plug and start resoldering. It might be a little bit time consuming, but not too difficult. You'll also probably need the older style ipod cable to lightening cable adapter from Apple (if they still sell it) to help you figure out the correct pin out. Once you have all that, then doing what you want would work fine.

On my 458, I just bought the Apple adapter and plugged it in. From there, I ran a lightening extension cable. You can plug any iphone or ipod in using that method and it works fine. Sometimes the car doesn't always recognize the phone, but usually once it does, then it will work fairly smooth. If I recall correctly, the trick is to either make sure the phone is plugged in before you power up the car, or maybe it was wait 30 seconds after powering up and then plugging it in. I don't remember which now, but it was something along those lines. I just remember once I got the routine down, it usually worked just fine.

I think your idea to splice the lightening cable back to the Ferrari connector is a great idea - I wish I had thought of that when I owned my car! Getting access to the back of the Infotainment box might be a little tricky however.

Ray

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Carnut likes this.
  10. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
  11. Shahaf

Shahaf Rookie

Jan 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Shahaf Galil
    The only issue I have with mine is the need to plug unplug every time I start the car and that I will loose song names randomly, Otherwise works without the glitches you describe.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

12. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Try starting the car without the phone connected, then wait about 30-60 seconds before plugging it in. If I remember correctly, that's how I solved that issue.

Ray

13. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I bought a cable and I am going to try and put a lightning cable on the end. I just need to figure out what the wiring is in the 30 pin connector.

14. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Yes, just update the car!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Cigarzman likes this.
  15. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Are you aware that you can upload 10 Gbs of music files to the harddisk via the usb cable ?

Much easier !

16. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    how do you upload music via usb? can you outline the steps involved? many thanks!

17. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #42 Melvok, Dec 1, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    Please fill out your name and country friend Steinhart !

Yes, if you read my thread YOLO, you will find many nice tips, including my Ferrari 458 Unofficial Media Guide :)
    (SCROLL down to bottom)

Let us know here if it was helpful please !

18. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    wow, thank you!

yes I updated my profile :)

19. milanojess

milanojess Karting

Nov 26, 2007
    sf bay area
    They are not the same. The lightening port has none of the analog signals prensented in the 30pin connectors. There’s basically a DAC in that lightening to 30pin adaptor to reproduce analog signal to feed older 30pin analog devices...

The bovee device worked so so, you have to turn the volume on phone to max to get better sound. The sound track info displayed on your screen don’t always match, and there’s that drop out every so often that can be annoying .. but it does work fairly consistently otherwise... trading quality with convenience I guess .. I am using a wireless holder so just pop in and out the phone and never worry about plugging wires.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

20. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I just like messing with things and since my car is in storage till April, I will have plenty of time to figure it out. I already have a sub box from Mike on the way, already have the amp. I am a dinosaur when it comes to music, and all I need is to be able to hear the dead.

Melvok likes this.
  21. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Great Morrie ! More dinosaurs here :)

Please make lots of photo's and share your work here, many will learn and som me do the same one day !

Great work.

22. Live2win

Live2win Karting

Sep 27, 2019
    Pasadena MD
    Full Name:
    David perkins
    I plug in when starting car, seems to work fine in a few seconds, granted sometimes there are a few skips , but is the best solution out there, for my 2010 458 Italia .

23. Jose Carrera

Jose Carrera Rookie

Oct 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jose Carrera
    Hey Guys, I just bought the Ipod cable and installed it to my 2015 458 Italia since my car did not have that option from new. Now that it is installed I connected to my Iphone 11 using the apple adapter and it only charges but it will not play music. I can now see the Ipod option in the dashboard display but it wont let me choose the ipod option. Can some one please help me fix this problem. Is it because the iphone is too new?

24. milanojess

milanojess Karting

Nov 26, 2007
    sf bay area
    Not sure I follow, if it didn’t come with iPod functions then it doesn’t have that capability. No amount of cable will change that...?

What exact cable did you install? Just trying to understand the situation

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

25. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Okay, first thing is to confirm it's connected via the iPod adapter thing in the glove box in the back kinda. You mentioned your car "did not have that option", so I'm curious where exactly you are plugging in the iPhone :) If it's a USB port, that's not for your iPhone, beyond just charging it. The port is an old iPod style connector that is long and has maybe 30 or 40 pins. Typically you have to buy the older style connector to lightening cable to connect your iPhone, because the factory option is setup for the way old iPod design (i.e. not the new versions that use the small port like on your iPhone).

Okay, so assuming you do have the proper cables, here's the deal:

It's been a while, but I used to run into that issue with my 458 and the iPod also. You connect it, you can see it's visible, but you can't really access it.

As I recall, the way I had to solve that was to unplug and plug in the iPhone around 30 seconds after the car fired up. It was either that or the phone had to be connected prior to turning the car on. I can't remember the exact sequence, but I want to say it was one of those two routines that worked about 80% of the time.

The fact of the matter is the car just doesn't always recognize things correctly and you have to mess around with it until it sees it.

I'm pretty sure I had the most luck by waiting about 30-60 seconds after starting the car and then plugging the iPhone in. You might also try power cycling your iPhone and see if that helps at all.

Anyway, it's more the car's sketchy support of the iPod than you, so it's not always something you can totally control; you just have to work around it a bit and figure out what sequence of plugging in the phone seems to usually work and go from there.

Ray

ntatfas likes this.