It Has Happened Again | FerrariChat

It Has Happened Again

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Bob Parks, Sep 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    At the Hood River, Oregon airport. A fatal (2) crash from trying to turn back after engine failure. The fourth one that I know about in as many years and all of them with experienced pilots. Hard to figure.

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- Killed McCudden, too, in an SE-5a and he was a 54 victory ace.

3. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I wonder if experience doesn't work against some higher-time pilots in that they "know" that - with a their engine operating as normal - managing energy in the turn wouldn't be difficult. I wonder if the extra drag and increasingly rapid rate of energy loss doesn't come as something of a surprise.

Commandment 1: KEEP THY AIRSPEED UP LEST THE EARTH COME FROM BELOW AND SMITE THEE

4. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    I try to make it a habit to look at a satellite image surrounding the departure end of the field to look for potential emergency landing spots. But sometimes I forget...

sigar, zygomatic and Ak Jim like this.
  5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I got to thinking about the last incident where the pilot took off in a homebuilt lookalike Hurricane and had engine failure on take off. He also had a recently plowed clear field slightly to his right, furrows in the line of flight. He elected to make a turn back to the strip with predictable results. High-timer with lots of experience and a soft field in front of him.

6. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
    AOPA magazine had an article within the last 12 mos proposing that we turn 10-20 degrees in the direction of pattern after rotation so that the 'impossible turn' becomes a teardrop not a 360. Given the extreme conservatism of aviation and the requirement to fly runway heading anywhere towered it seemed like a nonstarter, but for a rural runway with light traffic: why not?

Edit: of course MY airplane gives me a helpful '600 feet' callout, letting me know I can now use the CAPs handle LOL

7. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Still turning at a speed that could be approaching a stall. Iffy.

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Takes Gs to make any turn and any non-powered turn loses airspeed unless you have a lot of altitude to trade off.

Ak Jim likes this.
  9. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I was just going to say that. The old saying: Altitude is airspeed, airspeed is altitude. If there is enough altitude to get the nose down and airspeed up, a turn could be in the plan. Iv'e seen that successfully accomplished but with an instructor quickly taking over from the student....but it wasn't me.

10. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    The point of the AOPA proposal is to get 20 degrees of your turn done while your motor is operating so if it fails you can continue a turn towards a runway having part of that turn already been completed as a matter of the new technique. Not sure I buy it. In the U.K. Hawks we practiced SFOs from departure leg very routinely...we knew exactly what altitude we needed to turn back. We practiced from that min altitude every time, including knocking the legs down on short final with the runway made. It was a hairy task every time. It never got boring in a jet that glides like a brick. For Joey Baggo'doughnaughts to do it for the first time during his first engine failure is likely a really bad idea. I'm all for a gentle energy conserving turn over the field before departing, and I do that just about every time in the T-28, local procedures permitting, so I cross the field at high key on nearly every departure. But it's all planned and practiced. I think telling guys to turn x degrees on departure leg "so you can make it back" is a set up for disaster.

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Will- Affirmative, not much difference between 160 degrees and 180 degrees of turn. Just a little steeper angle of impact for the 180 degree turn.

paulyp, Hannibal308 and Bob Parks like this.