Combining 360 key and fob into 430 key | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Combining 360 key and fob into 430 key

Discussion in '360/430' started by derekmines, May 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. derekmines

derekmines Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Melksham, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek
    The 430 key I ordered arrived whilst I was on holiday last week, now I'm home I shall drop it off to the company and see what they think.

My latest update from them is that finding a suitable 12v power cell is proving tricky and redesigning the circuit to run from 3v might be preferable.

2. derekmines

Dec 12, 2013
    Melksham, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek
    So, a further update from the electronics company this morning.

They have not been able to find an alternative 12v power source to negate the use of the original 23A cell.

The 23A cell will just (apparently very just) fit into the 430 key if the internal plastics are trimmed, but they're not certain that the finished key-case will be very strong if this is done.

If the poster above is correct that the security system is based on the keeLoq standard then their suggestion is to buy a KeeLoq dev environment and have a go at using it with my car as the test bed.
    They feel that if this works then they have a solid base to work from and no need to reverse engineer the existing electronics / destroy a fob.
    This also will likely reduce the cost of the finished solution.

This is as far as we can go without cost... the next stage will cost me $635

Thoughts so far from those who have expressed an interest

3. FlyingHaggisRacing

FlyingHaggisRacing Formula 3

Jul 2, 2013
    It's almost a Kickstarter campaign in the making !

4. derekmines

Dec 12, 2013
    Melksham, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Not a fan of those Angus... they almost always seem to be used for less than scrupulous things and I prefer to be completely above board.

One of the biggest issues is that we still don't know what the full development cost will be so I can't give a definitive price for the final article - it's unrealistic to expect anyone to commit to purchasing the new key without knowing the cost they're letting themselves in for.

Unfortunately I fear that the project may end here.

5. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    Keep doing it! The separate fob is a bit painful to use. And sometimes it splits when in your pocket. I wish there was a way to disable the antitheft-system too. Many times you have to press twice for two seconds until you can start the car.

6. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    Mikael: I thought I've read here about someone having disabled the antitheft system?

Personally I'd still be interested in this, as I too don't like the separate fob, but it is a necessary evil just to get going with the ride :\

Is there a fob like this for the 550/575/355's as well, because if so, then you may get additional interested folk if they can reduce their keychain to a single piece in regards to that vehicle.

7. FlyingHaggisRacing

Jul 2, 2013
    Question...

Given Fiat uses KeeLoq, we sort of assume that Ferrari did also.
    But by chance does anyone know if they used the rolling code implementation.

8. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Yes and yes

9. FlyingHaggisRacing

Jul 2, 2013
    Ok, here's a crazy idea.....

There are 2^16 codes generated and then it repeats.
    So that's 64k codes to capture.

So why not just rig up a PC/Raspberry/Arduino with some IO, hook up a FOB, and trigger the FOB 64k times and capture the table.

I think that process could be done in 53hrs per fob.

Put table into nice new shiny uController that fits inside key housing and runs on 3v.

10. derekmines

Dec 12, 2013
    Melksham, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek
    So thanks to a change of job (I now work for a micro-electronics manufacturer) this project is now back on the table!
    Whilst our team think they can reverse engineer the remote, it would make for a much easier job if the schematics are available anywhere.

Does anyone on this board know if such things exist in the public domain?

tifosi101 and kes7u like this.
  11. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Pm me I can help out... I know everything about the wiring and how to bypass key receiver entirely. You are then free to retrofit any key style and receiver you want... Including from a 458/488 or F430 etc if you so wanted. Happy to partner up with you guys on a collaboration as I was in the process of doing something quite advanced already.

tifosi101 and kes7u like this.
  12. wbt

wbt Karting

Nov 28, 2014
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    I've been thinking about a hardware design doing something this too as the blank and empty 430 key shells are available on alibaba quite cheaply. Based on your swiss army knife immo delete a very simple replacement could be made for the bosch immo box that gives remote door open/close and relay contact for starter motor cutout. Not the highest security, but very tidy and serviceable, and certainly ok for insurance in this part of the world so long as disclosure is given. Thanks to your amazing work on SAK there is a huge world of possibilities out there for us electronics hobbyists. Not sure retro-fitting a key to work with those unreliable bosch immo boxes is the way to go anymore. Trev has changed the game :)

13. Caphill

Caphill Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    If someone gets this working I definitely want a set.