Corso Pilota (Ferrari sport course) | FerrariChat

Corso Pilota (Ferrari sport course)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by pkracing, Jul 4, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pkracing

pkracing Rookie

Aug 13, 2010
    I just returned from doing the Corso Pilota. For those interested, below are my thoughts and impressions.

Day 0: Arrive in Mont Tremblant at hotel Quintessence where you're greeted by a couple lovely hostesses and a champaign reception. There we met the instructors and other participants in the program. The instructors were all current and former professional racers including Anthony Lazarro, Jeff Segal and Nick Longhi. Everyone was very friendly. I wasn't sure what exactly to expect. My racing experience has all been with open wheel stuff and Porsches and I must admit that I had a preconceived notion that there'd be uptight types at the event. But, there were not. The other participants and the instructors were just great!

Day 1: It was a combination of classroom, slalom/braking, skidpad and some lapping on the north loop of the track. The classroom format and emphasis was the best I have experienced. I have been an instructor with the Porsche Club for ~12 years and I have to say that the Ferrari classroom was the fantastic. The slalom was, well, slalom. But, we were using Italia's and Speciale's so who's to complain! For the skidpad, they really just wanted people to experience at the limit and over the limit driving for feel and car control. We used Cali-T's for that. For the on-track lapping we alternated riding/driving with instructors in F12s. At first I was a little disappointed because they told us we would be required to drive the car in 'Sport' the whole event. But, I must admit, it was really a great way of doing it. Instead to pushing and driving the wheels off the car you end uo really focusing on smooth, smooth, smooth to keep the stability nanny out of your experience.

Day2: Day 2 was primarily lapping the whole track. We would first ride for 3 laps with the instructor and then follow them driving alone. They were in Speciale's and we were in Italia's. First off, wow! What a track! It has a bit of everything. Elevation, sweepers, blind corners...you name it. Second, getting to ride with a variety of instructors was great. They all have slightly different driving styles and you picked up something from each one of them. Also, when you followed them they'd drive as fast as you could follow. The only rule was you had to hit your marks or they'd slow you down. So, any worries that they'll perpetually throttle you back were not materialized.

In summary, it was a very special event. The resort is first class. the track is top 3-4 in NA (among Road Atlanta, Watkins Glen, Mosport, Road America and Laguna Secain terms of awesome). The instructors are the best I've experienced. And, they cater to each participant. In our group we had one lady who rarely drives her Ferrari because it intimidates her a bit. Well, by Day 2 she was flying around the circuit in a 458 with only excitement. On the other end of the experience spectrum I've raced for 15+ years in a variety of amateur and pro series. I had a blast. I highly recommend the experience!

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  2. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    Thanks for the review. I was thinking about participating in August and glad to get your feedback.

3. 2Veloce

2Veloce Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2014
    annapolis, maryland
    Full Name:
    Al
    Your insights were great. Very helpful. I was thinking of taking the course in Austin or Tremblant, so that was perfect. I have zero track experience so i might get some instructions on a local track first. Thanks again for you review..

4. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Wouldn't worry about having no track experience - just go, listen and learn - you'll come out of it a better driver. I did the one in Maranello and their were a variety of levels of drivers.

5. martini

martini Rookie

Oct 7, 2012
    A great review, thanks for sharing.

6. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    I took the Masters at Mt Tremblant and thought it was very well done, and, for the price, of course, first class.

Only downside is I missed one of their great instructors in the right seat. This would allowed me real time feedback and corrections for the next lap, rather then awaiting for debriefing after 20 minutes of lapping. Then getting back on the track an hour later and do more lead follow.

7. Stevenb

Stevenb F1 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Sounds like a very good experience. They did not let you go into race mode all days? Whats the reason for that?

8. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Awesome! Two weeks and counting until I head up there to do mine.

Having had prior race experience, was the class a bit boring or repetitive?

9. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    The cars in Sport mode are plenty fast enough. Plus - my opinion - Sport has the traction control intervene a bit more aggressively, so it forces you to be controlled with the throttle. Even then, the cars have enough juice to get wheelspin.

My wife has taken 5 courses there and is heading up there next week to do Advanced (again). I have a lot of race experience, but having sat through her Basic and Advanced classroom with her, it was a good review (at a minimum) and you can always pick up new things...

The elements about how to drive Tremblant were actually very interesting and usable, and things you can apply elsewhere. Having said that, the classroom sessions are short and well done (i.e. entertaining).

My observation is also that the instructors are good enough to be able to work with people at different levels and at their own pace; if you're capable of moving quicker, they will let you as long as you're in control and running up to your own limit. It's not a one-size-fits-all program, far from it (using my wife as Exhibit A - her first course she was afraid of a Ferrari and had never been on a racetrack; last Advanced she was among the quicker and smoother drivers)

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  10. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I did the one at COTA, Anthony Lazzaro was my primary instructer. He was great. I can echo PKRacing experience. I am not a pro but have have been to many track schools. By far the best and the most fun. You were limited only by your ability. I drove 150 percent faster than I ever had in my life. Highly recommended.

11. MikeA

MikeA Karting

Nov 23, 2004
    Los Gatos
    I did this two years ago and it was awesome. The lead/follow format really works well. The lead professional driver goes just fast enough to keep you at your own personal limit. Everything about the event is top shelf as well - the hotel, meals, etc....

12. justthebest

justthebest Formula Junior

May 14, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Thanks for the review. I'm signed up for one of the August sessions - even more excited!

13. m3doc

m3doc Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2008
    Attending in August as well! Thanks for the review.

14. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Just finished my Corso Pilota. Not much I can add atm but to say it was fantastic. Plus I've got tons of photos to sort through before I do my write up

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  15. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Thanx for well desribed event ! Any photo's made ?

16. pkracing

pkracing Rookie

Aug 13, 2010
    there is actually a site with in-car videos...

Home

17. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    #17 Ky1e, Sep 19, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
    Thank you for the info and feedback. I'm planning on doing the Sport Course in Austin, TX Nov 16-17. I see you have a lot of racing and track experience but still enjoyed it which is great to hear.

After watching the videos (even on the Advanced and Evolution Courses) the driving seems pretty tame and that they have you running at 70%. Do they let you push it more if you want? Do you get to practice things like settling the car and controlling weight distribution?

18. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    New Orleans? Or Austin?

We are doing the advanced on November 18-19 in Austin.

19. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    Yes i meant Austin (thx I just edited my post above).

20. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    Second question... does it help with getting 488 allocations? I was told that it can but didnt know if anyone witnessed firsthand experience. I have a 488 deposit in and plan on getting the 488 spider after that.

21. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I did the 1 at COTA. One of my top 10 experiences. Anthony Lazzaro was my instructor. Do it!

22. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I doubt it but the dealer is encouraged by Ferrari to sell the schools. Buying and trading in a bunch of cars is what works. Buying a car like the FF would probably move you up a couple of notches.

23. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    It builds your profile with Ferrari - so it does help. Basically dealers get access to limited cars and extra allocations more because of what they do other than sell stock cars. This includes the driving schools, atelier, tailor made selling challenge cars and other clients services.

24. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    I believe this. Ever since i started tracking and expressed interest in a 458 Challenge car my dealer has really stepped up the customer service and has been phenomenal to me. Yes it represents more dollars and more service, but I believe they also are encouraged to push the racing heritage ( Corp down to the dealer to the customer) as it is supports their mission and brand.

25. Zombies

Zombies Karting

Aug 19, 2017
    Bumping this old thread — anyone done this with the current generation cars? What parts do you use the Pista for, and what parts the 812?

For those who have done another course (like Porsche's), how do you find the value? It’s $10,000 more than the Porsche one which isn’t a drop in the bucket...