Is the extended warranty on a FF worth it? | FerrariChat

Is the extended warranty on a FF worth it?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Natkingcolebasket69, Jul 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Hi guys,

Still considering an FF with extended warranty... on paper it covers all the good stuff but when you talk to Ferrari they will tell you that for instance it says gearbox is covered but really not all the pieces/parts are covered.

So for those of you who have made a claim under the warranty ; how well has it performed? How fair was Ferrari? Any big spending or
    Regrets with having it?

Thanks!!
    Nat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Several threads on this subject. Personal choice and preference although bulk properties are that Ferrari comes out ahead. First year under it I had several claims and broke even. Did not renew. Generally it adds value when purchased with it getting to know vehicle.
    After thy questionable value.

There are some strong opinions that it is a waste of money for most. I politely disagree.

Had it
    On my Cali and renewed. Had it
    On my FF as above. Have full warranty on my 488/f12. For me it mitigates cost concerns.

Lastly it tilts my purchase toward the dealer with 2 years given with preowned purchases.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  3. Natkingcolebasket69

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Thanks! Will do more research ; I find it so vague what it covers that it’s hard to tell what would be covered or not!

4. Potenza430

Potenza430 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 26, 2012
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Doesn’t cover anything that leaks.

5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    if it covers PTU yes. if not, no. it apparently covers transmission sensor BUT only if the evidence dictates once taken apart, so you never know where they place the fault

6. Natkingcolebasket69

Agreed- it’s like for sure going to be a mix of covered parts and non covered parts.

Thank u for ur kind and patient help as always!

7. Darkshear

Darkshear Karting

Mar 31, 2019
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Kalon Dillon
    On my 2012 FF I just flipped the bill for the speed sensor, a known issue on the FF, Cali and 458 (I believe more so on pre 2015 cars from what I've read). The bill was significant. $6799 (after my local tax plus inspection fee) for the warranty would have been far preferred over what I paid to have a sensor replaced.

That being said, now that I have the warranty, I'll be surprised if I use it. Would have to be another steep repair. I likely won't renew next year unless the car is plagued, in which case I'll probably part with the car anyway.

8. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    The sensor is 7k job to replace it at the dealer. What did they charge u?

9. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    I did the analysis on this a while back. Fchat member Motob kindly supplied some stats from his work at Ferrari SF.

The annual failure rate of the PTU is 5% based on 4 cars in a fleet of 40 over 2 years at FSF. The cost of the PTU replacement is $35k so the risk adjusted cost of failure each year is $1,750

The DCT failure rate is much higher than the PTU but even if we assume the DCT failure rate is 25% annually (which I think is a high estimate) and the work can now be done for $7.5k then the risk adjusted cost is $1,875.

Add the two costs together and it’s $3,625 per annum which is markedly less than then cost of the power train warranty.

I've also documented the fact that the new power warranty has not covered me for a broken fuel pump ($4k fix) or a broken gearbox unlock override. Others have mentioned that things like weeping oil seals or gaskets on engines or gearboxes aren't covered either. Fixing my gearbox override requires the removal of the gearbox and the dealer's advice is that it isn't worth the effort.

Ultimately, with an FF or V12 Lusso, the question you have to ask yourself is 'can I afford the cost of a PTU failure?' If the answer is no, then buy the warranty. If the answer is yes, then self-insure.

10. Natkingcolebasket69

Well said and explained!
    Let me read ur precious posts on other threads!

11. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Most Ferrari I wouldn't pay for a warranty. However, an FF is one of the few cars that I would. There are just a bit too many reports of gearbox issues to make me comfortable going without one. Also, it's role as a daily driver means it will see more miles than a weekend sports car.

12. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Interesting thread and a decision I will need to make soon. Here’s a question for people in the know.

What are the chances of a replaced PTU failing??

My Lusso is currently having the PTU replaced (thankfully under warranty). Is this something I need to continually worry about?

Thanks, Eric

13. Actualizer

Actualizer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

100% worth it ! I have just had a PTU and Gear box fault almost a fortnight after purchasing
    a Power Warranty that I had been delaying for a while on my FF. Lucky me. Am told the bill would have been in excess of AU$ 20000/-

14. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Does having a PTU replaced mean PTU problems will never happen again?

15. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Got extended on my last FF, drove it 42,000km and only major issue was seatbelt extender and some weird sensor in the coolant.

16. KNOKKi

KNOKKi Karting

Jul 20, 2015
    Amsterdam
    2, I would say, rational arguments from an FF-owner:
    1) there were fundamental mechanical issues with pre 2013 cars I understood from reading messages on this forum. Frankly, I forgot which, but some googling will help. So buy a post 2012 FF.
    2) I really wanted to be my FF more often in my own garage than in the garage of the Dutch importer, so put quite some effort in getting info about the reliability of the car. After I got green lights from different sources, I found it not rational to invest in extending guarantee etc. Then I shouldn't have bought the car in the first place. Anyways, I bought a 03/13 car in 12/16 and drove 35 kkms since without any issues (after replacement of the battery shortly after the acquisition, which replacement made all kinds of error messages disappear).

17. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    not sure anyone knows

18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    given lussos are having issues dont think your first point is valid - what fundamental mechanical issues outside of a speed sensor? speeds sense is a post 2103 problem across 458 and cali.

19. Natkingcolebasket69

Good point on 1; it seems however than most 12 are better spec than 13 and up from my research.

20. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    I wonder if most 12 are better specced than 13 because they were Ferrari/dealer demo spec or early adopters while 13 and up were bought to get allocations for Pista/TdF etc.

My 11 has pretty much every option except passenger display. It was a dealer demo and has close to $150k of options on it!

21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Tdf allocations happened in 2015 and 2016. 2012 ffs were bait for laferrari. In 2013 some stuff became included. 2012s are better specced because they are the laferrari cars.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. Natkingcolebasket69

Good to know, that’s one of the reasons I went for mine over some less mileage 13. It just was more tailored made. Felt more Ferrari proper

23. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Nice. U will fall in love with driving it...doesn’t matter what year it is.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

24. Natkingcolebasket69

Can’t wait to take in the twisties! Hope it corners well; all I will do with it aside trips with my twins!;)
    Will post pictures when I get it!

25. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I have michelins on mine - literally planted to the ground