F430 spider Smell of petrol but only at full throttle | FerrariChat

F430 spider Smell of petrol but only at full throttle

Discussion in '360/430' started by LT1992, May 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LT1992

LT1992 Rookie

May 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Karel
    Hi, have a problem with my F430 Spider smell of petrol in cabin but only at full throttle when pass 6K RPM and i have a roof or just windows down its for few second smell but so strong. When the car go half throttle or stop everthing its alright. Its just only in high RPM. We check all for leak fuel and all the staff everthing its ok. We change all the spark plugs, ignition coil, all filters, box with the active coal and check everthing many times. Do you have anybody please some ideas?

2. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Have you inspected the fuel pumps for leakage? The plastic tops of the pumps crack and leak fuel, causing the smell. They are under the two plastic covers (one on each side) in the convertible top tub.

whatheheck likes this.
  3. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Anytime.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Anytime you smell fuel you have a gasoline leak for sure somewhere. These cars are so dangerous to drive with a fuel leak due to intense engine bay heat.

I can't recommend driving your car until you get the fuel leak resolved.

Most likely your fuel pumps are leaking.

That's how mine started, a slight fuel smell once in a while. Took it to the dealer, they replaced left fuel pump, then the right one failed 6 months later and had to be replaced too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

f355spider likes this.
  5. Silber

Silber Karting

Jun 6, 2014
    Switzerland
  6. Skywhale

Skywhale Karting

Aug 17, 2022
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Carsten
    #6 Skywhale, Dec 26, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2022
    Did you ever sort this out? What was it? I used to have an obvious fuel smell all the time, especially after parking… but that was resolved with a new right side fuel pump (left had been replaced already). But now I still get a slight smell at 100+ mph… it’s less an obvious “fuel smell,” more a “hot car” smell, but I suppose those smells are a bit of one and the same? So I’m just wondering if pushing the car full throttle for an hour, hitting 100mph+ once in a while is just going to smell a bit considering how hot the engine bay gets, or if any smell at all is “unacceptable.” I also have an annoyingly strong sense of smell, so I’m very sensitive to just about anything with a little stink and wonder how much of me is just paranoid from the fuel pump - like, “oh no, is something else wrong?” No one has found anything out of the ordinary in service…
    Thoughts? Does this sound like your experience? Was it also only with the top down? Is it just exhaust smell from such a high speed with the top down? It’s a 16 year old car… seems reasonable to have a little stink to it when flying down the road, but everyone in these forms will tell you the second you smell even a nice smell to stop driving and push it off a cliff…