Static after Detailing | FerrariChat

Static after Detailing

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Silentnoiz, Apr 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Silentnoiz

Silentnoiz Karting

Nov 18, 2017
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Silent Noiz
    I have a 2004 360 Spider, Rosso Corsa, that I just finished detailing myself. I enjoyed the process, and getting familiar with each body panel and curve. So sexy!

I used Wolfgang's line of products with a Rupes 15 Orbital to:
    - Wash (by hand - 2 bucket method)
    - Dry (hand microfiber with lubricant)
    - Clay bar with lubricant, followed by hand microfiber wipe/buff
    - Uber Compound (orbital with light cutting pad), followed by hand microfiber wipe/buff
    - Finishing Glaze (orbital with polishing pad) followed by hand microfiber wipe/buff
    - Deep Gloss Paint Sealant (orbital with finishing pad) followed by hand microfiber wipe/buff (after a 45 minute rest prior to wipe/buff, and 12-hour moisture-free cure time)

The swirls have either disappeared or at least greatly diminished while the depth of color/gloss/shine has increased and really popped. It looks dripping wet...and pretty much really awesome. (My neighbor commented that it looks like a new car)

My only problem is that there is a crazy amount of static. Dust/pollen/grass/etc are attracted to and stick to the surface. When I wipe down, I get static shocks, and while anything (bugs/dust/pollen/grass/etc) is easily wiped away, there is stuff that ends up statically sticking to the surface.

My goal is to have a surface that is easy to maintain/clean/keep looking good.

I'll be applying Wolfgang's Fuzion Spray Wax (that I was told has anti-static properties) that should (mostly) fix the problem.

I'm curious to learn about other people's relevant experiences along these lines.

TIA!

2. Silentnoiz

Silentnoiz Karting

Nov 18, 2017
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Silent Noiz
    Should have said that what I'm looking for is what (spray preferably) products people have used with success that leaves a nice anti-static finishing shine.

3. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    You also can put a conductor wire under the car that makes contact between body and ground.
    Guido

4. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I’ve experienced what you describe and since I’ve tried so many products over the years I forget which one really attracted the dust, etc.
    I haven’t had that problem in a long time. Using Jescar power lock on all the cars except the Ferrari. On that I use Pinnacle wax.

But for sure what you found does happen. How about a final coat of a detail spray, that might eliminate the cause of the clingy dust

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

5. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    P & S Beadmaker- creates a very smooth hydrophobic finish. Can be used as a drying aid/detail spray.

6. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
  7. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

8. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    I've used Beadmaker as well. It's so easy to apply - that I would use it as quick detailer all the time. Supposedly it will provide at least 4 weeks of protection, but I find myself applying it weekly since the product is less $40 a gallon.
    I have 3 cars that I maintain, and in the last 6 months - I have switched my routine over from my foam cannon / pressure washer / 2BM wash, to a rinseless wash, and topping off with Beadmaker. I still have 1/2 gallon left.

9. Silentnoiz

Silentnoiz Karting

Nov 18, 2017
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Silent Noiz
    I bought and will be applying Wolfgang's Fuzion Spray Wax tomorrow and will see how that goes. I'll also be using Wolfgang's Instant Detail Spritz when needed. i'll report back.

I've heard good things about Kenotek, as well as 303, and many others (Chemical Guys, Meguiars, Griots, etc.)...really hard to choose from everything that is available on the market.

P&S Beadmaker is very intriguing, and at ~1/8th the cost of others is at least a no-brainer trial. I'm going to buy this and try it as well (maybe first on my other vehicles until I use up the "expensive" stuff on the F-Car). I like that it can be applied after a wash when drying the vehicle.

Tickerhound - nice stable you have there, the cars look great! Great color choices - love the red, and that blue is awesome.

Thanks for the replies, really appreciate everyone's thoughts and experiences. Keep them coming!

tickerhound likes this.
  10. ElastomerGuy

ElastomerGuy Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2007
    N.W. PA
    FinishKare 425 spray detailer will take care of the static and also seems to help prevent dust from being attracted to the car in my experience, anyway.

11. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    Oh - and if you want to create a fine mist with Beadmaker or any other detailing product - using the Flairosol spray bottle will really help to not waste product when spraying vertical panels. The fine mist will allow it to stick to the surface better, versus a traditional spray bottle where the majority of the product will bounce of the panel and fall to the floor.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073WL7BT4/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

12. Silentnoiz

Silentnoiz Karting

Nov 18, 2017
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Silent Noiz
    I'm headed in that same exact direction. What is the process you've found works well for a rinseless wash?

13. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    What I've done is
    1. Premix the rinseless wash solution in a couple of 35 ounces bottles / sprayer from Griot's garage with the Finest Sprayer IV. The mix is 32oz distilled water with approximately 8ml of the rinseless wash solution to get to the recommended 1:128 ratio. I use McKee's 37 NC-914 - but there are a slew of products out there. You would have to check the instructions for the dilution. I wouldn't get too hung up on the exact amount.

2. Have PLENTY of microfiber towels handy.

3. Liberally spray the section you are going to clean/wipe off. In addition, spray the towel as well.

4. Go over the area with the towel very lightly. What I've found - to maximize the towel surface area is to
    a. Fold the towel into 4
    b. Roll up the towel - like a baton. Each pass - you would rotate the "baton" just a bit to get a new surface area.
    c. Repeat with the other 4/8 sides depending on the type of microfiber towel you have(ie. same nap on both sides or not).
    d. Towels are cheap - so be generous in this area. You do not want to be pressing in or rubbing dirt on the paint. I use about 12 - 15 towels per wash if that helps.

5. Get a second towel to dry off that area.

6. To speed things up - I will sometime spray the whole side of the car(front to back) - and work my way down. I don't mind letting it sit a bit, because I feel the mix will soften up any dirt particles. You can even use garden pressure pumps if you don't feel like using trigger sprayer.

7. After everything is clean, then use Beadmaker. Spray on a section - spread across with one towel, and buff off with a second towel. The nice thing with Beadmaker is that you can apply it on everything - paint, glass, rubber, plastic, clear bra - etc - so you don't have to worry about over spray.

The nice thing with the method is you don't have to drag out the pressure washer, 50 feet hose, wand, buckets, wash mitts etc. With the premix solution, I can go out to the garage at 11pm and wash the car in about 15 - 20 minutes. There is really no cleanup - just toss the towels into the 5 gallon laundry bucket - and you are done.

Since it's so easy - I find myself quickly just grabbing the towel and doing a quick section/panel when I'm passing through the garage. Could be windows, or the hood/flat section since that is where most of the dust settles, so the cars are in really good shape. There is no rule that you have to wash the whole car. Each car will have a certain section / panels that will accumulate a lot more dirt than the others. You can wash that more frequently, and skip the other clean section.

You didn't ask - but since my daily driver is parked outside - there is a lot dew. My morning routine is to use the big Griots PFM drying towel, and just drape it over the hood, and pull it across- and that would literally suck it dry. It's an amazing towel. I can be done in 2 minutes - of drying the dew. Keeps the car cleaner, versus have the dew/water running down the side and back of the car.

Good luck

Silentnoiz likes this.
  14. Silentnoiz

Silentnoiz Karting

Nov 18, 2017
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Silent Noiz
    I applied Wolfgang's Fuzion Spray Wax last week. It was easy to do and didn't take long. The static is gone, and the paint looks fantastic - super slick with a glossy shine.