Thunk / clunk noise from rear on start / stop | FerrariChat

Thunk / clunk noise from rear on start / stop

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by RayJohns, Dec 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this on their car. Mine is a 2013 458 Italia and in traffic typically, when I come to a stop or pull away (generally at low speeds, stop and go, such as in parking lots, etc.) I often hear a distant "thunk" noise sort of from the back. I'm wondering if it's the electronic parking brake engaging and releasing or something in the gearbox clicking into and out of 1st gear or something.

It's not very loud. It almost sounds like something rolling around back there, like a jar or golf ball or something knocking back and forth during stop/start, but I think it's something to do with something engaging and disengaging either with the brake hold thing or the gear box.

Anyone happen to know and/or does anyone else notice this faint sound from the back of the car when coming to a stop or pulling away from a stop?

Ray

2. 100badboy100

100badboy100 Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hi sounds to me like a suspension bush has worn and has play in it..

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

3. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I'll certainly check everything under there when I change the oil next, but due to the timing of the noise vs. the movement of the car, I don't think it could be loading or unloading of the suspension components. There is a slight delay as I recall.

I'm going to check a little more closely with the help of a friend soon. It sounds more like either some linkage or perhaps the engagement of the brake cable or something back there.

I was just curious if anyone else had heard similar sounds.

If I get to the bottom of it, I'll follow up.

Ray

4. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Ok, just to follow up (in case anyone in the future runs across this thread)...

I spoke with the dealership (Ferrari of Houston, where I purchased the car) and they confirmed the "clunk" I'm hearing is normal. They mentioned they all noticed it from when the 458 first came out and they did their initial training on it and now they drive them so much they don't even hear it any more.

I asked if they happened to know specifically where the noise stems from, but they were not sure. Best guess is it's just the F1 clutch engagement or something, which makes sense as that's about the correct timing relative to the movement of the car. I'm going to make an educated guess myself and say I suspect it may be something to pre-selecting the next gear or something in the Dual Clutch Transmission.

When I have a minute, I'll do a little more research or maybe call FNA or something.

Anyway, just wanted to follow up as mentioned.

Ray

jem890 likes this.
  5. justthebest

justthebest Formula Junior

May 14, 2014
    Denver, CO
    My brakes (particularly under a "hold" condition) have sometimes needed a moment to release, leading to a small clunk. That's my only experience with what you're describing after ~16k miles.

6. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I have no thunck or clunck sound in my 2012 458 Ray, sounds not O.K. to me ... remember, cardealers are all croocks :D

7. Financialman

Financialman Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    San Jose CA
    Full Name:
    Dan Carpenter
    Mine has that noise as well, but more like a clicking sound, FOSV says totally normal but some cars are louder than others.

8. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Thanks for the input guys!

Ray

9. maxvonauto

maxvonauto Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2015
    Corona
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Mine has the same sound, although the conditions are a bit different. First, don't mistake it for the door auto-lock feature. Mine will make the sound every couple of minutes if I let the car idle with the EPB engaged. I've followed the sound to the right rear quarter area, exactly where the EPB motor resides. My theory is that the EPB system will periodically "re-tension" the brake cables by cycling the EPB motor to make sure the car can't roll. The EPB motor has a clutch which prevents over-tensioning and I believe that's what's making the "thud" sound when cycled. Someday I'll need to pull the inner fender on that corner to validate my theory but as mentioned I think it's perfectly normal.

10. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Good instincts Ray! Usually, if present, the sound happens when the DCT downshifts from
    2nd to 1st at very low speeds, never happened to me but I know for reliable sources that it
    is totally normal.

best

11. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    I hear all kind of new noises that I haven't heard in other cars, but it's difficult to say what's supposed to be there v. what isn't.

991 GT3 was the first DCT/PDK transmission I ever owned, and it took me quite some time to adapt to noises from that car. Transmission sound even changed when I was in neutral v. in-gear v. in-gear but idling.

Any chance you can get your car side by side with another 458 car + owner to have a listen?

12. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Thanks guys, this all corresponds to what I hear also. From everything I am hearing, it's just the normal functioning of either the EPB auto hold stuff and/or the gear box.

It's not the auto door lock, which is a different (and distinct sound). Tonight, I hear it while backing up in reverse, so I'm reasonably sure it relates in some way to the DCT transmission.

Anyway, it's nice to know it's nothing specific to "just my car" haha :)

Ray

13. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    +1

14. ozan458

ozan458 Rookie

Sep 8, 2018
    London
    Full Name:
    Oz
    hi there

guys iv noticed that distant noise on my 458 italia aswell just before i come to a stop at the rear noise is delayed as that guy is saying.

iv done a test to see if the noise is from gearbox after my test i really dont think that noise from gearbox because what i did left car in manual mode coming to a stop slowly in first gear and keeping it in first gear when car stopped i can still hear that distant delayed knock noise like a ball rolling in rear. i would love to know what that noise is if anyone did find out?

thanks oz

15. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I'm almost positive it's actuation of the electronic parking brake to hold the car momentarily.

Try this: come to a stop on a slight hill, then remove your foot from the brake... if you wait a couple seconds without giving the car any gas, you'll feel it's holding the car to prevent it rolling backwards into traffic. But if you wait long enough, it will release the EPB and the car will roll backwards. So anytime you come to a stop, the car is engaging and releasing the electronic parking brake. I suspect that's the noise you are hearing back there.

If you wanna hear a really disconcerting noise, just wait until it decides to retention the cable...

:)

It sounds like an alternator belt just broke and came slinging off the motor when that happens.

Ray

16. ozan458

ozan458 Rookie

Sep 8, 2018
    London
    Full Name:
    Oz

hi ray

thank you for your feedback I think you are correct because when i come to a stop and dont lift my foot off the brake it doesn't do the noise.

when i have come to a stop and lift my foot off of the brake thats when it dose the noise.

thanks oz

RayJohns likes this.
  17. tsmithmdtx

tsmithmdtx Rookie

Apr 17, 2011
    Tyler, Texas
    How about a “clunk” sound when turning the ignition off. Doesn’t do it all the time but most of the time. 2013 Italia.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

18. ozan458

ozan458 Rookie

Sep 8, 2018
    London
    Full Name:
    Oz

19. FerrariFR33458

FerrariFR33458 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2017
    Wash DC Area
    Full Name:
    FR33
    I have it also in my 2010 458. When I come to a complete stop I hear it seconds later while stopped. The car is not moving at all. It is almost like something is resetting in the transmission.

20. Yellowgallardo1

Yellowgallardo1 Karting

Sep 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    marcus
    That’s a very bold state and fairly ignorant. Why would a service department turn away money to fix a car?

Tarek307 likes this.
  21. ozan458

ozan458 Rookie

Sep 8, 2018
    London
    Full Name:
    Oz
    hi buddy

Iv done a test on my 458 its definitely the brakes avh function it holds the brakes if your on a slight hill.

try this come to a stop and do not back off the brake pedal it will not make the noise then.

22. FerrariFR33458

FerrariFR33458 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2017
    Wash DC Area
    Full Name:
    FR33
  23. metaldriver

metaldriver Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andy Vecsey
    #23 metaldriver, Apr 21, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    My 2011 458 made this noise.

My 2018 488 makes this noise.

Not surprising because these two models share the same chassis platform.

These possibilities have been suggested - the hydrodynamic shocks and / or the e-diff.

24. Baitschev

Baitschev Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2017
    Vienna
    I have the same issues.only different.I Start my car in the Garage and Wait For 5 min sometimes a Loud Noise Clunk came from near left Hand rear Wheel .
    If you Open the Engine bay ,you can hear nothing.Close the Engine bay softly and you can hear a dump clunk.pls Check this!