P-51D Barnfind with multiple spare engines | FerrariChat

P-51D Barnfind with multiple spare engines

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by synchro, Apr 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  2. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
  3. phil the brit

phil the brit Formula 3

Jul 7, 2013
    Colchester+Clermont
    Full Name:
    Phil Taylor
    There are enough spares there to make several more planes.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The treasure trove of parts is a score all by itself. Makes me wonder 2 things. This reminds me of 0052M. Has it been sitting here all these years with everyone knowing about it waiting for someone to pass away so it will be sold off like 0052M or did everyone just find out?

I also wonder what the mechanism was that allowed importation of an aircraft in private hands with the machine guns still in place.

5. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    How cool is that.....six .50 caliber machine guns? I'm speculating the firing mechanisms have been removed but since it predates the automatic weapons ban.....who knows?

Tell the truth....if you could get your hands on the warehouse and plane.....would you still twist wrenches on Ferraris? The parts alone are worth millions. $4.5m for the whole lot seems like a great project and business.

6. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Wow.... But I want the F4 prototype. 85% restored, the final 15% should not be to expensive!!!

7. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I think this plane and the spares have been listed for sale for quite some time. Maybe I am mistaken, but if I am right, it's been listed for at least a year or two.

On an related note, it's not a "barn find," and I absolutely hate that any old car or plane that hasn't been run in a while is marketed as such. It was not "found."

Island Time, kylec and m5shiv like this.
  8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #8 Rifledriver, Apr 12, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    When you say its not a barn find, why not? Because it has been listed for some time does not eliminate it as a possibility. My first post referred to 0052M. A Ferrari known of with a known owner from the late 60's to the early 2000's sitting derelict the entire time. Owner died and finally family sold the car. Is this one of those instances? Or when it hit the market was it a previously unknown plane and cache of parts?

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Removal of firing mechanisms does not make them legal. Owning licensed machine guns is legal and having them on an airplane is legal but importing a fully equipped combat aircraft as the ad implies raises complications. Hence why I expressed curiosity about the importation mechanism.

thecarreaper likes this.
  10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And you would have very well established and respected competition. These are not the only Merlin engines laying around. I believe it was Jack Roush who said there is no shortage of Merlins to keep the planes flying.

11. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
  12. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    Yup....but P-51s were iconic just like the 1965-66 Shelby GT-350s....plenty of engines for them as well. I have always loved the plane....same goes for DC-3s.

I'm sure it is someone's collection that the family is selling off. You don't amass a collection like that by buying parts on ebay. Whoever it was ....was probably pretty well known in the P51 community. I'm sure my wife and family would sell all my toys, tools and spare parts as well if something were to happen to me. ;)

13. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    No shortage of Merlins?

While I don't claim to be market saavy, talking to the guys in the pits at the Reno Air Races, they make it sound like Merlins are hard to find - is that a price point issue or are these truly scarce, or perhaps are remanufactured being made? Thanks for your insight

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #14 Rifledriver, Apr 12, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    Not according to a quote I heard from Jack Roush told to me by a P51 owner who knows Jack. He should know. They don't go for scrap prices anymore so I am sure to some that means rare.

How many does it take to keep a couple hundred airplanes running? Cant bolt them in a Hydroplane, blow them up and throw them overboard anymore.

Looked at another way. I don't think world wide there is a single original airframe not airworthy because of lack of a Merlin. I think there are a lot of airframes sitting in museums etc that will never fly again with engines in them.

Not sure of the accuracy but according to one source there are 294 P51 's and 172 airworthy. About 40 Spitfires. Just say another 100 Merlin powered aircraft. How many engines do they need?

https://www.roushaviation.com/parts-inventory/
    http://www.vintagev12s.com/gallery.htm

15. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    [QUOTE I'm sure my wife and family would sell all my toys, tools and spare parts as well if something were to happen to me. ;)[/QUOTE]

Hopefully, not for what you TOLD them you paid for them...

(old gun collector joke)

INRange and Rifledriver like this.
  16. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    This “barn find” has been for sale for several years as I recall. Different brokers, etc.

Island Time and kylec like this.
  17. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    The receiver side plates with serial #'s from the .50 BMG Ma Deuce, is the controlled part. All other items are good to go and anyone can own the other components.

Rifledriver likes this.
  18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    20 Merlin engines. Wow.

19. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #19 nerofer, Apr 16, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    This from someone with no connection in the aviation world, but with an interest in engines and their history...
    "Merlins" are not "easy" to find, but not "that hard" either.
    Granted, it might be difficult to find the right mark of the engine you are looking for at the right time (single stage, single speed supercharger; single stage, two speed supercharger; two stage, two speed supercharger); and when you have one in the right configuration, high-altitude rated (Merlin 61 or 63) or low-altitude rated (Merlin 66). For US production, Packard 1650-3 (equivalent to the Merlin 63, rated for high altitude) and V-1650-7 (equivalent to the Merlin 66) etc...
    But as there were about 160.000 produced in total, some do surface in the add circuit from time to time; here-enclosed an exemple of a flyable, zero-timed Merlin 35 for about 200.000 $.
    Single stage, two speed supercharger; fitted to the Boulton-Paul Balliol and Avro Athena originally.

https://www.aircraftrestorationcompany.com/merlin-engine

Rgds

20. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I heard that there is actually someone somewhere casting new blocks for Merlins, but I've never seen that confirmed. Certainly, with all the Merlin-powered aircraft currently flying, I think about 300 of them, there might be a market for totally-new engines.

21. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    someone doesn't need the money or they're using someone else's

that airplane's been around

22. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Looking at a few other sources it belongs to an older oil man who doesn't need the money, wants ALL the money and it's a package deal.

Its out in the oil patch near Midland.

As I recall the same guy had a bunch of other old German aircraft stacked up in hangars and was involved in some way with the movie "Battle of Britain".

This is the last of several he imported from Guatemala way back when they were done putting down some insurrection.

23. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    If I had f-u money, I would have a Merlin on a stand and fire that bad boy up weekly. I just love the sound of the start up..

24. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Jay Leno has one!