550 headlight restoration | FerrariChat

550 headlight restoration

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by F456M, Mar 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Hi guys. Finally, I have got some time to make my 550 happy. During the last days Enzo and I have had some relaxing days with zero stress and now when my hood is re-painted with very good result, I found out that my headlights don’t look too appealing. I mean, I have already sanded them and polished them, but they have had quite a lot of mini stone ships, and the wetsand/polish thing just is not enough. So I took the lights out and took them completely apart and fixed them properly.

I attach some pictures. I start to understand why these are so expencive. Lots of parts mounted into each other with great precision and quality!

1) Taking the glass off of the unit. One came off easily. The other one was glued in place and took quite some struggeling to get off. Patience, brutality and some simple tools was the trick. The rest took a few minutes to take apart with just a screw driver.

2) Cleaning, compunding, polishund and waxing the housing with the exterior paint. It made a huge difference.

3) Paint the light housing matte black like original. I suspekt they have fadde over the last 20 years and just needed a new later of paint. It also made a big difference. Now they look really good and gives a better contrast to the almost black paint.

4) Polish the reflectors with a super soft towl and mild glass polish. (The chrome layer here comes off with the slightest pressure when rubbing...), so it must be done very gently!

5) The ellipsoid ”eye” had much what I call erosion (lookes like mini stone chips) on it. Very hard to understand why it was like this when they sit under that big glass. I took a chance and clear coated them. Time will tell if the paint will last og peel off or fade yellow.... At least now I know exactly how to clean or change them!

6) Sand and clear coat the glass which seems to be a lexan plastic material. Had to plane sand it after I sprayed the first layer. Then apply a second coat of clear coat to fill up the small ”holes” in the surface. Then sand again. 1200, 2000, 6000 and rubbing compound and polish. Came out really good. We will see with time how the paint reacts to heat and wear. At least the car will look ”new” for a while.

Took some time but well worth it. She must look like new this season. No excuses for a bad looking Ferrari 550 Maranello..... I just have to take one step at a time! Age is slowly getting back a real lustre. I really love this car. It is beautiful from all angles.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Makuono and Il Tifoso like this.
  2. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik

Attached Files:

Il Tifoso and ralfabco like this.
  3. Jürgen Geisler

Jürgen Geisler Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2015
    Good old Europe
    Full Name:
    Jürgen
    Great story and helpful description Erik, I have to check mine….

Excellent result, by the way, congrats…!

F456M likes this.
  4. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Did you have any need to replace the rubber gasket.

5. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    #5 wbklink, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    Might I suggest Clear Bra i’ve had it on my headlights for years :)
    Protect all that great work

F456M likes this.
  6. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Ok. Yes, I will definately check out the clear bra. Thanks for the suggestion. I guess it is from 3M right? Can you see that it is put on? I also considder to get a ceramic coating on them aswell as on the complete car. It should save me many houres of cleaning and polishing the car.

About the rubber gasket... Those are actually just between the headlight and the wing, front trim and hood. I believe it sticks on with a kind of double sided tape. So you take off the protective tape before you put it on the headlight and then install the headlight into the car with the new gasket on. I will replaced them and get them sent from Eurospares to my Swedish adress before Brexit to avoid 25% VAT. In addition to the rubber gaskets around the headlight, i sealed the glass to the headlight body with clear silicone to make it 100% waterproof. The rubber seals is probably meant to avoid sand and water to enter the engine compartment and to make the headlights have a tight fit.

The roads here are slowly beginning to get clear of salt and sand. But the new taxes supposed to take action around 1st of July in Norway make me wait to get the new Norwegian registration plates, because it looks like all cars of twenty year of age will have no tax, just like for oldtimers today when they are minimum thirty years old. The tax is around 10.000 euro now so I have to wait until 1st of July... The 25% Norwegian VAT is already paid and will still apply for all imported goods regardless of taxes. So it gives me time to make all the small projects I have been thinking of doing with the car. It just cost a few bucks...... The car had been standing completely still for five months, but started right up as it should and everything is working normally. It is a bit funny that even if the car is standing in a garage with no more that 7-8 degrees C, the cooling fans goes on after only a few minutes. That car has seriously much heat to take away. And the Mercedes 200 CDI i drive these days, have to be driven at least 10 kms. before you get any heat inside the car...!! So actually the Ferrari is the car that would be great on cold winter days

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Mark HT and ralfabco like this.
  7. 12659

12659 Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2005
    Seattle WA. USA
    Full Name:
    mark
    spectacular result and very brave to attempt it.

F456M likes this.
  8. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Well done, Erik.

F456M likes this.