'87 328 GTS on BAT | FerrariChat

'87 328 GTS on BAT

Discussion in '308/328' started by Saabguy, Mar 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
  2. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    IMO there are a few that stand out in my mind.
    1. Coming up on a belt change and that can be $$$$$$$ for the unfamiliar Ferrari owner.
    2. These things are toys, not daily drivers. So, only disposable income gets throw at them.
    3. It's black. While many on here like black, for an average person, Ferrari cars are red.
    4. It's in Canada and apparently in the middle of winter (snow on the ground) and these cares are not snow cars.

If they really wanted to sell the car, it should have a belt change and sell it in the spring. Advertise "ready to go driving"!

3. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    miles and weak sellers market right now

4. Cuddy K

Cuddy K Karting

Oct 30, 2017
    Full Name:
    Ian Karr
    Also....replacement engine (though under warranty) and mileage inconsistencies on the carfax.

Saabguy and blkdiablo33 like this.
  5. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Ha easy answer; no respectable 3X8 owner would have one without AIR CONDITIONING.

6. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    What kind of idiot would leave off the AC compressor? I OWN a 328 GTB. Maybe in Canada, it's cold, but the top DOESN'T come off of this car, and if you're warm, you need to roll down the windows. But on a HOT day, the air coming in your windows, is really hot, because a LOT of it is coming in from the radiator vent in the hood. I found the ONLY way to be comfortable is to run the A/C. AND the car is BLACK with a black interior. A formula to roast in, on a sunny day. So if they left off the compressor, what else was given a pass. Eighty Five grand for an unsorted car, even a rarer GTB - no wonder it didn't sell.

7. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #1 because it's in Canada. Right or wrong people are just spooked on the idea of importing.

#2 It's on BaT which is generally not a good venue for Ferraris. All they talk about are timing belts and engine out services. Lots of recycled misinformation in every Ferrari auction on that site.

8. Jbrauer

Jbrauer Karting

Oct 12, 2016
    Pasadena
  9. maxflynn

maxflynn Karting

Feb 9, 2015
    GTA
    Full Name:
    David
    Is it that hard for you guys to import a car that lives in Canada? It is a US spec car, no? Mileage is not that out of line. I would say that the car being unfinished in a way ( no A/c or cat) and not the original engine is the biggest problem. Mileage inconsistencies in CARFAX with out of market cars are very common, people registering the car make mistakes all the time not converting miles to kilometres and vice versa.

What... it doesn’t get cold in the States? By the way Alliston is only an hour north of Toronto. We do have summer too.

10. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    It does, but here in the South ... It's minimal. Even heat in a GTS is sufficient in winter.

But in a black/black GTB with no AC - you'd be risking serious heat stroke during summer months.

11. maxflynn

maxflynn Karting

Feb 9, 2015
    GTA
    Full Name:
    David
    Fully understood.

I was just just responding to the post that eluded that it's always cold in Canada, and because of that the car has no AC.

Car obviously has some issues that need to be addressed, and is probanly the reason it didn't do well. Usually Americans love talking advantage of the exchange rate, as I would if I could, and snap up nice cars. Obviously this one is not nice enough.

12. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    well, importing a car into the US is always a pain in the butt... There is also plenty of cars in the US to buy such that very few people want to go through the hassle of dealing with DOT, customs, and state specific DMV. It's bad enough to go between states.

sixcarbs, Jbrauer and thorn like this.
  13. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    Not hard to import a car from Canada, when it's this old/ You go get it, bring the paperwork to the border, they look at your paper work and verify the VIN and you're on your way/ If you don't import anything in the same year, the tax for bringing it in is pretty low-like a few hundred bucks. I imported a Testarossa a few years ago. Thought it was going to be a nightmare, but it was easy. Now I wouldn't want to do it unless it was either a good deal or a hard to get car. A YELLOW Testarossa seemed worth it to me. I think the magical age for no hassle imports is thirty years.

14. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Well, as to importing I would think that a car that should have a cat not having a cat is a big reason for failure. If someone bothers to look. I mean Auric G drove his car across several borders without receiving even a glance.

15. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Driving it across the border is not a problem. Getting it imported is harder.

16. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And I think that is the primary reason.

17. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Most don't know that and are not terribly motivated to find out.

18. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    prices for 328 i see are all between 75/99 and checked hagerty values and there very low compared to what sellers are asking tr prices have dropped alot on hagerty also is it realsitic to get a nice 328 gts say high 20s miles for high 60s low 70s?

19. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    88.5 white on white looks to be sold for 71k on bat