James May interviewed about his 308 | FerrariChat

James May interviewed about his 308

Discussion in '308/328' started by vaccarella, Jan 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    James May owns a 308 & describes it from ~3:20 . His observations are pretty accurate: A modern VW Golf is a far better car, but the 308 is one of the best pieces of styling Ferrari ever did.

Rosey likes this.
  2. LostAussie

LostAussie Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2013
    Woodinville, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Nice. I didn't know he owned a 308. According to the video he also just bought a new Alpine A110, which makes me very jealous as that's the car I'd most like to own next. Unfortunately, it looks like they're not going to be sold here in the U.S., such a shame.

cnpapa24 likes this.
  3. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I think he's a bit hard on the old 308. For what they are, an exotic car of their day, I think they are relatively easy to drive and live with.

Martin308GTB likes this.
  4. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    I figure Mr Slow loves the 308 but is longer in the tooth now and has less patience for quirks. Maybe he will let loose of it and give a young buck a go?

Rosey likes this.
  5. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    :) :)

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    It's pretty --- but its a squared off Dino with pop up headlights.

That's not a knock. Its just being honest.

7. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    It's a fair point, I think. Owning a 308 means dealing with finicky cooling, sweating when you hear odd noises, dealing with interesting electrical standards, expensive parts, muscle-challenging steering in a parking lot, and minor body repairs that costs more than some new cars.

I could easily sell my Ferrari and buy a car that's faster, brakes better, with a warranty, better climate control, which would offer a fairly maintenance-free existence for the next 5-7 years. Let's not have rossa-colored glasses, it's a fact.

But it wouldn't be a Ferrari. ;)

kerrari and rjlloyd like this.
  8. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    Dino's had eight cylinder engines?

9. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    We're talking about the looks.

I had both. The 308 is an late 70's revision of the 1967 look but updated with late 70's technology and building methods.

10. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    Having owned both, which would you prefer?

11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #11 TheMayor, Jan 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    Interesting question. I can honestly say, I'm not sure. They are really different.

The 246 Dino GT to be honest is a pretty lousy vehicle. But its pretty with loads of character. The driving position is weird with little adjustment, the gearbox crunchy until warm, the interior always warm, and the headlights could be candles (although the 308 was barely better). It has better visibility than the 308 with smaller A pillars and the wrap around rear glass. The electric windows take forever to go up and you should do only one at a time to avoid overloading it. The alternator burns out in stop and go traffic because it gets too hot. The fly windows can be pushed open in a second so there's no point in locking it. The interior always smells of gas or oil or both because the sideways distributor leaks oil in the headers and the carbs are right behind your head. I had a Euro version with no smog PCV valve so the oil smell from the crankcase went straight into the air..

The 308 GT or GTS (I had one of each) is more modern, has a much better gearbox, is more reliable, is easier to work on, has a better interior, and has an attempt at creature comforts like HVAC.

The Dino feels like it was made in the 60's. The 308 feels like it was made in the 80's

The Dino is prettier but the 308 a lot easier to live with. So, it depends.

JV's89 likes this.
  12. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    True but what high performance car of the late 1970's don't have similar issues today.
    Maybe a similar era Porsche 911 or a Mercedes-Benz SL may be less expensive to run, more reliable and offer cheaper parts but the Porsche is not as engaging and the Mercedes is not high performance. Plus neither would be considered exotic.
    All the others from that era that I can think of would share similar 308 issues today.

13. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Here are a few pics of a 73 Dino and a 85 QV 308 for comparison. I used to own 73 Dino #6288 in yellow and 74 #7796 in red. They were both GTS. I am now owning two 85s QV GTS. For me I felt the Dinos were fragile and rather slow but you look good driving in it. You got to work the gears to get up to speed. I like the distinctive sound of the Dino V6. I think the 308s are better built, stronger but with all the charms of the Dino. The curves, the side vents on both cars are very similar. Just like TheMayor says, they are very close siblings, one was made in the 60's and the other was in the 80's. I missed those Dinos though and don't mind to own one again someday. BTW before they became popular, back in the late 90s at several FCA shows I was told to wait in my Dino until all other Ferraris were placed before I could park it! Can you believe it?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rosey likes this.
  14. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    They are both very pretty cars.
    I think one of their best angles are 3/4 front on.

15. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The 308 was the evolution of the 246 and if not delayed due to the problems they had with the GRP bodywork it would have appeared in '74 rather than '76.
    it's possible that if that had happened prior to the GT4 bombing in the marketplace the 308 might have even had a Dino badge. Heck, if we are going to contemplate alternate history it might have led to there still being a Dino brand today. Maybe all of the subsequent V8's would have been badged as Dinos. We'll never know.

16. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The 308's styling is much closer in time to the Dino era than most people imagine. Fioravanti's first sketches of the 308 GTB were in early 1969 and were inspired by the P6. His first BB sketches from the late 60s already had the distinctive wedge look. There are other styling cues repeated across these models, but fundamentally the 308 GTB is a combination of the BB's wedge + the Dino's intakes. Fioravanti's biography provides good detail on all this.

17. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes I always saw the 308 as the smaller sibling to the Boxer, a theme that Ferrari seemed to continue with the styling relationship between the 348 and Testarossa.

18. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Apparently he thinks that everything is better nowadays which I totally disagree. The cars, at least aesthetically, are not better.The food is not better (full with preservatives GMOs etc). He has he own perspective of things which I respect.

Rosey likes this.
  19. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    I, too, was somewhat taken aback by his interview comments about his 308. Quite honestly if he feels like that then he really should get rid of the car. I, for one, think the 308 is a fantastic car for all sort of reasons. I do recognize that it is an older car and so it is going to have quirks... but then again all cars do... including new cars that Mr. May seems to endorse. As an example my "new"-ish X5...side windows will not work if there is any ice build up on it, the locks/cables within my doors seize which prevents one from opening the door (talk about a safety risk), flakey transmission, faulty sunroof, etc... the list is endless. Which brings me to his comment about how new cars are "better"... There is no question that new cars are more fuel efficient, pollute less, have more power, etc...These items are good things, but I feel that this list is cherry picked from a number of things that they are not better at... But, as you say... to each his own.

Cheers,

Sam

Hannibal308 likes this.
  20. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I agree with Sam 100% and as I always say, “you may have faster, newer, more expensive, more reliable, and quicker car, it’s still NOT a Ferrari 308” :D

thorn likes this.
  21. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    That isn't how I interpret the piece. He's just a little self deprecating & I think he enjoys the challenges of ownership as much as any of us. He's quite right that a modern Golf is, on paper, a better car in many respects. We probably all have daily drivers that are "better" cars.

Jaguar36 and thorn like this.
  22. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    What's wrong with how he feels? I feel the same way about my 328. There are better, faster, more reliable cars, but this is still a Ferrari.

Rosey and thorn like this.
  23. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Paul,

Indeed, his comments and their presentation style could simply be his personality. I guess I simply take peoples' comments as presented unless I see mannerism's that dictate otherwise. If it were me, I would have ended my comments with something like ... "but it is a FerrarI and so that is all that matters". Who knows, perhaps he did and it was edited out?

Cheers,

Sam

24. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Mitchell,

Absolutely nothing wrong with Mr. May's feelings about the car. They are, after all, his own feelings. I simply took exception that to me they came across somewhat pointed. However, as mentioned in my previous post his presentation could very well be his personality.

Cheers,

Sam

25. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    That is right. His very dry personality comes across...