Chinese market 612 OTO | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Chinese market 612 OTO

Discussion in '612/599' started by 24000rpm, Jan 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    I thought so too but based on these pics it seems not. The sports exhaust is double walled as per attached pic.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Just by looking at the pics, I would go with the first car as it has the HGTII package and challenge rims (both combined cost a pretty penny to replicate). The cost of de-chroming the wheels is small in comparison.

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  3. MRY

MRY Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    Monterey Peninsula
    They all 3 are OTO’s
    Mannetino and photo chromatic glass roof is the giveaway.

24000rpm likes this.
  4. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Are the front wheels on the red car the right width? They look too narrow compared to the black car, but it's hard to be sure. Like when guys put Challenge wheels on a 456. In that case the car would plow.

In any case, I would love that red car, I would just put the monolithic 612 wheels on it.

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    All the V12 Challenge wheels are only 8" in front, narrower than 456 or 575M fronts. One of the reasons the 599 HGTE (8.5") and the GTO (9.5") went to wider front wheels was to cut out the understeer generated by the narrow front wheels and tires. A band-aid for those without much experience with really high powered cars. Not that the throttle on the 599 (or 612) will not induce all the oversteer you want.

G. Pepper likes this.
  6. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

i went to the red 612 today, and just came back home. the car isn't in good shape as several areas of the paint were repainted and they are not good paint jobs. I didnt even bother to drive the car.
    price wise, they asked for about 20-30k USD less than the other examples.
    I think i would pass on this one.

interestingly, as my partner suggests, i realized the whole business is maybe a front for money laundering.......
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    I think you did very well not to even consider it. Looks like it was painted with a brush. It also looks like it was near salt water, with all those paint flakes.

The radiator guard is beaten and appears there is some missing paint on the engine accessories brackets - which should raise even bigger concerns of what happened to that front...

8. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    Adding some information to the input from "barabba" and "TheCook," it appears to me that there are three different exhausts for the 612 OTO: (1) Stock; (2) "Sporty Exhaust Pipes," Option Code "EXA2," @$652 (US); and (3) "Modified Sports Exhaust" that, along with "software management of the sound," is part of the HGT2 package. The HGT2 exhaust pipes are easily recognizable visually, as others have pointed out. I do not know how the "Sporty Exhaust Pipes" EXA2 option differs from stock pipes. Photos of (somewhat dirty) EXA2 "Sporty Exhaust Pipes" are below.

9. HKS479

HKS479 Karting

Sep 23, 2015
    Zurich, Switzerland
    There are 3 types on the OTO. Stock exhaust which is same/similar to the original quiet exhaust on earlier 612s, “Sporty Exhausts” which are bigger diameter than stock with rolled lip as shown in the pictures, and “Sports Exhaust” as part of the HGT2 pack with the double walled tips. Sound-wise the Sporty Exhaust is between the other two and somewhat similar to a Tubi. I don’t think its valve controlled.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. greybeast

greybeast Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2011
    Long Island
    Sporty exhaust pipes have a rolled lip as you mentioned and also have a black chrome finish on the sides. The silencers on "sporty exhaust pipes" are the same as the standard OTO exhaust as far as I know...different than Gen 1 612 mufflers which are quieter AND not valved. So it seems to be just a cosmetic option. My OTO has this option, and I have disabled the valve which improves the sound more than you would expect, but nowhere near the HGT2 exhaust. I question the HGT2 on the first example. I have only seen those with a chromed mesh surrounding the double walled exhaust. The mesh on this example is black. It may be a non-HGT2 with a Tubi aftermarket (double-walled) exhaust. The brakes are carbon ceramic in all versions of OTO, and the wheels look right besides the chrome finish. I think the options were painted and ball-polished only for the challenge wheels

Greybeast

11. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

ah! i thought ball polished is the same as chrome, as in the first black 612

12. greybeast

greybeast Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2011
    Long Island
    24000rpm likes this.
  13. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

ok, the 1st black car is about 3 hours flight from me.
    I saw the car four months ago when I was on a business trip there. At the time I wasn't paying attention and just glanced over it, admired its interior and so on.
    Now I am serious, the itch got the better of me.
    I am planning to see the car again in about a month. The one month wait serves 2 purpose. One is the busy season of chinese new year. 2nd is that, their price is a little on the high side and an insider told me the car has been sitting in their showroom for more than a year. And I want to let them know that i have no problem waiting for a better price.

In the mean time, do we have a checklist of things to look at ? like a buyer's guide? What are the common failures? I am a 360/430 guy, been working on my car for years and not familiar with front engine GTs.

14. Diny

Diny Karting

Jun 24, 2017
    What is the knob immediately next to the door locks?

15. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Electrochromic glass roof controls.

Diny likes this.
  16. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    #43 randkin, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    [

I don't think so, you can’t get the sport exhaust, not to be confused with "sporty exhaust" much quieter system, without the HGT2 package. The first black car likely has the HTG2 package as it has the double lined exhaust tips. I can’t tell if the Red car has the sport exhaust tips or not. The last black car definitely does not have the HTG2 Package as the exhaust tips are not correct.

If you can get the build sheet or a copy or the original sticker you will know exactly what you are dealing with for equipment. I believe you will find the first black car is better optioned – HTG2 and Daytona seats with red stitching & piping, than the other two cars. That said if red car has the HTG2 package I think that would be my pick. I like to look at black cars just not to own and maintain them. Also when I was looking for my car there were a lot more black cars available, far less in other colors. The black cars didn't seem to sell as fast either or at least that was my experience. IMO

17. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Monroneys are an American only piece of paperwork. Will need a build sheet or option sheet.

18. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    After reviewing all four cars, the first black car seems to be the best one of the group. Much better equipped- Daytona seats with deviated red stitching, HTG2 package includes sports exhausts, Challenge wheels (20”?). If the price is even close and condition/miles are similar it seems the best pic IMO. Even though I am not an advocate of black exteriors because maintenance issues. In China I expect that most imports were black from my limited observations while in country. It seemed to be that most high end cars were mostly black. But with 4 OTO cars available and the first car has been available for sale over a year and the economy slowing a bit it would seem you have the necessary data available for strong negotiations. Good luck with your car shopping, the chase is certainly part of the fun.

24000rpm likes this.
  19. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Isn't the term for those wheels monolithics?

20. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I thought that term applied to the base wheels? The wheels which come with the HTG2 package are the Challenge wheels which I have on my car - see my car's picture opposite. The Salt Lake Fdealer selling me the car, called the wheels Challenge wheels and told me they are part of the HTG2 package. On my original window sticker there is no mention of the wheel type only the a listing of specific options, Carbon Fiber lower cabin zone, Carbon Interior trim, Color safety belts, Cruise Control, Daytona style seats, home Link, IPod etc. including HGT2 package and $32,867 "Other Options". I believe the 3rd & 4th black car have the base wheels, someone said the red car has another Fcar model’s wheels.

21. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

seems the first black car is the way to go, the only "drawback" of the car is that it is the oldest of the four. It was manufactured in 2008. That shouldn't be a factor or at least not that much in the US market , other things being equal, right?

22. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    That looks lovely. Appears to have all the right options and low mileage to boot. The new number one at first glance..?