TR clutch problem | FerrariChat

TR clutch problem

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Rostami6, Jan 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rostami6

Rostami6 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2013
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Amir
    Hi all,
    My clutch has developed a problem which is puzzling me. I did use the search and found some info but still am not sure what is going on.
    I replaced my clutch (MY 1986) about 3 years ago. Since then I have put about 3000 miles on it. I don't to crazy take offs and am very gentle on take off. sometime recently the car started making a chirping noise when I would take off. It almost sounded like a belt was slipping. I was able to read about that when I searched here. Now here is where I am confused. I drove my car yesterday and noticed my clutch slipping. Normal cruising, I would step on it, the rpms would go up and then drop. The regular symptom of a bad clutch. No slipping at all before this drive.
    I am not aware of any adjustment on this clutch as far as I can remember. Could my clutch wear out this fast? Again, I am very gentle on my clutch. Almost all the miles I have put on since the new clutch, have been on 100-200 mile cruises with friends on back roads with no traffic.
    Is the chirping sound related?

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    after so little time and "normal" driving the clutch never could be worn out.
    when you replaced your clutch 3 years ago you used a brand new clutch with all the parts or let the old one rebuilt?
    this "chirping" noise you hear when? pushed the clutch pedal down?
    step on it? so on the clutch pedal or on the gas pedal?
    if second and you had not shifted directly before then you may have a look at the clutch itself.
    the rpm drops even you still stay on the gas pedal? so as if the clutch when getting warm it will work fine again?

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    #3 flash32, Jan 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    Could it be the throw out bearing went bad and brake fluid is now on clutch causing slipping

Chirping on clutch released condition is usually the bearing

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

xplodee likes this.
  4. MisterT

MisterT Karting

Feb 2, 2011
    Fleet, Hampshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Taylor
    Luckily it is quite easy (compared to many other cars) to take the clutch off for inspection too.

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

The noise you speak of is not at all unusual and is a result of vibration of the steel floater plate during engagement. I drove ours over the weekend, it has its original untouched clutch and it made the noise on nearly every take off. The redesign of the clutch mid production was done to fix that but was unsuccessful.

As far as it wearing out so soon, impossible to say without seeing it and maybe not even then. The double disc clutch was famous for lacking feel and many were slipped excessively and worn out prematurely as a result. It is also possible there was an issue related to the replacement.

6. Rostami6

Rostami6 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2013
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Amir
    Hi Brian,
    Thanks for the reply. I was actually waiting for the holidays to end and was going to call you today and bring the car to your shop to see what’s going on. Are you available?

7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

I can look at it soon but cannot work on it for a little while.

8. Rostami6

Rostami6 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2013
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Amir
    Thanks, I’ll get in touch.

9. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Just as another data point (for a late production TR) - I haven't noticed it when doing a forward 1st gear engagement, but I often hear it when doing a reverse gear engagement. On mine, more of a 0.5~1 sec long decaying chirpy rattle than a single sharp chirp.

10. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Any sound clips would be good for the community?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

11. Rostami6

Rostami6 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2013
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Amir
    The weather is pretty nasty here. I’ll try to get it tomorrow. I’ve only heard it when I take off from standing still in first when I let the clutch out. If I remember right, sometimes letting the clutch out from second gear as well.

12. Rostami6

Rostami6 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2013
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Amir
    All new clutch parts.
    By stepping on it, I don’t mean the pedal. I mean stepping on the gas while driving.

13. Rostami6

Rostami6 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2013
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Amir
    I have not noticed any oil leaks at all on the garage floor or below the car.

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Its pretty random from car to car. Ferrari tried a few ways to explain it away but I have never heard it in any other car, even the BB's with a smaller version of the same clutch didn't do it. Our 90 has never even had the bell housing off and it has a bad case of it, always has. Other cars I drive don't do it at all. People outside of the car can even hear it and I have had people ask about the noise. You just shrug and tell them it is no extra cost. I am pretty aggressive engaging a clutch and maybe that is an aggravating factor but I never replace worn out clutches in my own cars.

15. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
  16. Rostami6

Rostami6 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2013
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Amir
    Update,
    Took the car to Brian (Hill country Ferrari service). He checked it and drove it. I will have to take it back to him next month as his schedule is full. The good news is that at least the visible clutch plate looks to be in good shape. But we won’t know for sure what the problem is until he has time to get to it. I’ll update after the repair.