Jump started F430, now dies at idle after being driven for 10-15 min. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Jump started F430, now dies at idle after being driven for 10-15 min.

Discussion in '360/430' started by 911&F430, Dec 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Be aware the oem Ctek charger provided with F430s, and 430 Scuderia, were often defective and replaced while under warranty. My dealer said I have the "upgraded" warranty replacement, yet it still has funky operation, where it will not reach a "full charge" indication after a day or more. But if I briefly unplug and replug it in, then it will give the full charge indication. Weird, so I just quit using it, and purchased a Granite, Battery Saver battery tender which works terrific.

2. 911&F430

911&F430 Karting

Oct 14, 2014
    Atlanta
    Yes, my OE trickle charger started acting like that about the time this issue started whereas it always worked fine before. So that could be a contributing factor.

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    The issue I had was that I was uncertain without the "full charge" indication, if the charger was continuing to charge the battery, causing it to overcharge and possibly damage it. Ditching it and getting a more reliable one was the solution. I know many prefer and use the regular Cteks successfully, but after that experience, I lost confidence and wanted something else.

4. NoSpeedLimit

NoSpeedLimit Karting

Sep 6, 2013
    Never jump start a "modern" car! We drove with my 20 year old Alfa 156 to the airport. When we returned everything was dead. A friendly taxi driver jump started the car and we went home. After 20 miles the airbag controller lamp came on. Took some time until I could get a new controller for such an old car. A new battery was a matter of minutes. Luckily I only killed the airbag controller. I knew it was dangerous, but after a 12h flight and arriving at 5am and we wanted to go home and not wait for the shops to open. Would have been cheaper.

5. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    To the OP, if your battery is almost or over 4 years old I highly recommend replacing your battery ASAP.

As others have mentioned, batteries are inexpensive and it solves most of the electrical problems on 360's & F430s (I owned both. Cant speak for other models).

You can perform all kinds of testing & reading and asking people but time is money......

My vote is to buy a new battery (I have a post here somewhere), fully charge it with a BATTERY CHARGER (not a Battery Tender) before you install it.
    Install a fully charged battery and start the car. If the problem goes away then that's the root cause of your issue. If not, then you know its not the battery, you have a brand new battery so that one is crossed off. Could now be alternator or wiring or bad ground or bad connection somewhere.

Hope that helps.

Dan

Doctor Mark, Raconteur and f355spider like this.
  6. wbt

wbt Karting

Nov 28, 2014
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    It's the radiator fans coming on causing high peak current draw which is the problem. If the battery is weak and has high internal resistance, the system voltage drops under the high load demand and the ECU's shut down. Highly inconvenient when you think "I will just go for a drive to charge it up" and everything dies 15 minutes down the road.

7. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
  8. 911&F430

911&F430 Karting

Oct 14, 2014
    Atlanta
    Good point. When sitting at a standstill and idling it makes sense that the radiator fans would have to run more since the car is not moving to create airflow through the radiator.

9. AirForceFlyBoy

Nov 18, 2014
    Had something similar with my 430. Even though I had it on a charger, it as the battery. Definitly do a load check w the devise suggesred here or your dealer. Good luck!