Financing with a Charge Off on Credit Report | FerrariChat

Financing with a Charge Off on Credit Report

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Dreamer458, Nov 30, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dreamer458

Dreamer458 Rookie

Feb 26, 2017
    Hey everyone,
    I have a finance related question and I'm hoping someone can give me a solid solution. So here is the story..

Last week I was working with Putnam Leasing to finance a 458. I completed the application, submitted my bank statements (FYI, I'm self employed) and they said everything looks good. They ran my credit report, my credit score is around 670. After it was all said and done I was declined because I had a charge off on my credit report and they said that is an automatic decline which i didn't know.

I called woodside credit and asked them about charge offs and they also said they cannot finance with a charge off on the report. The charge off incident happened several years back. I'm thinking about hiring lexington law or a credit repair company to try and get the charge off off my report, if you guys have any ideas on a company that can remove it please let me know! Going deeper into the situation, I did end up paying the car off and received the title, however the car was still labeled as a charge off. This car wasn't anything special, just a daily driver lexus.

So with that being said, I'm looking for a finance solution. If i cant get the charge off off my report, I'll probably look at getting a personal or business loan and just buying the car cash that way. If anyone knows a lender that can work with my situation please let me know, i'd sincerely appreciate it! - Dreamer 458

2. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    Erroneously reported as charge off? Not clear based on your post. Contact original lender and have them remove the error?

I never had a delinquent account so I don’t know but wouldn’t the lender repossessed the Lexus? Why would they allow you to keep the car?

(Had to look up the meaning of change off).

3. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    A personal loan for $80K will have a poor APR. This is assuming you have 50% in cash ready to put down on the 458. I would try and have the charge off (had to look that one up) removed somehow, but that won't be easy. You'll most likely run into an issue with paying some fly-by-night company to "remove" it only to have it pop up during a credit pull.

I would just save up the rest of the money and buy the car cash, that may be the only way. The plus side is they haven't hit their floor yet so it'll save you some $$ in the long run. Also factor in adding a warranty and setting 10K+ aside for any issues that may show up. Good luck.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  4. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Back 1992 ish I bought a computer through Amex, back when they were selling products. They delivered it to a suite one floor down and someone signed for it. I never got it and things got nasty. I ended up engaging a lawyer and Amex dropped it. But then they reported it as a charge off (but keeping my card active).

Fast forward to 1998 when i was buying a building with finance through US Bank. They said I would have to pay off the charge off before they could fund.

I wrote a letter and explained what happened then called the loan officer and asked them to explain why US Bank would believe a third party over their own customer of 10 years.

They funded the loan without me having to pay the charge off.

David_S and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  5. Dreamer458

Dreamer458 Rookie

Feb 26, 2017
    To answer your question, no it wasn't erroneous. It was my fault, I did eventually paid the car off and wasn't in debt with them, they provided me with the title of the car, but they still reported the debt as paid but charged off. I talked with a rep on the phone from lexington law and they tell me they can remove it.

As a plan B I'm thinking about just getting a business or personal loan for $160K and just buying the car cash with the loan, then just paying the loan back, what do you guys think about that and does anyone know any banks that work with charge offs?

6. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    From what I’ve read so far, this seems like a really bad idea..
    Save till you have a substantial down pmt. Be realistic with your budget.living large on credit will most likely end badly and purchase price is just the price of admission.

7. Dreamer458

Dreamer458 Rookie

Feb 26, 2017
    So i guess no one has a bank or lender they can suggest....

8. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    SO the charge off is real but you did pay the loan off .. if so did the bank accept less then full pay off .. if not and you did pay the loan off try to get the bank to write a letter....If they will not do that .. then the problem you have is that since the charge off is on a luxury car and you now want to buy another luxury brand car I suspect the typical exotic car lenders will not be interested,,.. However if you have a car picked out at a dealership they maybe able to get it financed you may not like the rates. I think your best bet to get the "charge off "taken off your record

9. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Here's an idea, could just pay cash, then no payments or interest.

10. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Lightstream usually deals with high credit scores, but they offer unsecured loans, so that may be an option, though you'll get smoked in interest rate.

11. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Most lenders will look past this with a substantial down payment. How much are you looking to put down? It'll likely take 50% down to put them at ease. With loans at 4% and climbing even with "perfect" FICO's of 800+ it's smarter to put 50% down, go for a longer (84/mo) loan for the security of a low payment and just pay it off in 2 years or less. Money is becoming more expensive as the days of 0.9% loans are behind us. Put half down, invest the other half, and pay-off quick and you beat the system. Any other way and you end up in a bad position. Remember, this is not a needed vehicle, it's recreational vehicle, and as such the purchase decision needs to be easy and not a financial stretch.

unreelviper, gh0st0 and 308 milano like this.
  12. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    Do you have a current home mortgage? Many banks offer sub-prime home equity loans, and you can pay it off early without any penalties. I personally do not recommend taking a loan out for a toy of any kind, instead save up and buy it with cash. Especially when considering taking out $160k on margin, the interest coupled with remaining depreciation will add up. But I guess if one is willing to pay out that kind of money to get into the car now, then so be it. I don't mind waiting....:)

13. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Try fixtyourcreditconsulting.com those guys are great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I'm reading this post and all I can think about is the so called satisfied / settled charge off. Clear your records first then consider the car , it'll still be there, don't give the lenders a reason to charge you more interest on a loan.

unreelviper likes this.
  15. SaratogaCA

SaratogaCA Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    I think at least in CA, it is illegal for any business to offer to remove an accurate credit report entry.

- Sam in Saratoga

308 milano likes this.
  16. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Lexington won't do anything that you can't do yourself in an hour. Create a profile with each of the bureaus and use their online system to submit disputes.

17. Dreamer458

Dreamer458 Rookie

Feb 26, 2017
    Here is a screenshot of the "language" from my experian report. And now that I remember, the bank did in fact provide me with a letter I forgot about it, so i'll try using it when I apply and see! But based on what you see here in the report, you guys would agree that this language does mean the car was paid in full despite it being charged off? see screenshot here: https://prnt.sc/lqeeje

I appreciate the tip! I don't mind the interest, I plan on paying it off faster then the term! I'll call up lightstream and explain my situation and see what they say, if they can work with me i'll let you guys know :)

I'm looking to spend around 150 - 165K on my 458 so that would be around 80K down. I'm really looking to put maybe 10% - 20% down. When I have the ability to put 80K down I'll just buy the car cash! I'm just not at that level YET! ;)

I appreciate the suggestion, actually we own our home, so no mortgage

I appreciate the suggestion, and yes that's what I'm working on doing, I'm thinking about working with lexington law to clear this if they can deliver the solution!

AND with all that being said, if the charge off really is the sticking point, my thoughts is to get either a personal or business loan and use that money to buy the car, so I'll hold the title and I just need to pay the loan back....

Other than lightstream, if anyone else has any other suggestions on a bank or lender please let me know!
    Thanks guys and gals! :)

18. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    If the car was paid off, then you should dispute the matter under the FCRA. You will need to dispute both to the credit agencies and the lender. It accurate reporting or reporting in a manner designed to be detrimental more so than necessary can constitute violations. Even if you end up paying cash, you should dispute.

19. Dreamer458

Dreamer458 Rookie

Feb 26, 2017
    I appreciate that info WJGESQ do you know any experts that can help me with this?

20. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    A Charge-Off can (and does) exist in 2 different forms - as a debt that was eventually paid, and as a debt that was not. Yours is the former type. The fact that you eventually paid it off doesn't mean the charge-off is an invalid credit entry. Paying it off is a good thing credit-wise, but doesn't erase the charge-off.

Think of it as voluntary vs involuntary manslaughter - either way, someone's dead.

21. Dreamer458

Dreamer458 Rookie

Feb 26, 2017
    Thanks Thorn for that info. We'll I may hire lexington law and see if they can make it go away

22. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If the information is accurate, it stays.

23. Dreamer458

Dreamer458 Rookie

Feb 26, 2017
    Hey guys just wanted to share a minor update. So on my credit report, actually only experian and transunion are reporting the charge off. For some reason (which is great) equifax is not reporting the charge off which leads me into a point and a question: For the point, through my research I've learned that PenFed only uses equifax for their auto loan qualification, I spoke with a representative on the phone today and they confirmed so this works perfectly in my favor. Secondly now coming to my question, I'm thinking that if equifax does not have the charge off listed and reported, I could use this as leverage to get the other two credit agencies to remove the charge off from these records? I.e. Hey Experian, please remove this charge off as this info is not accurate, please see my equifax report where you can see the account has been paid in full, thanks...? what do you guys think?

24. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Lenders are not required to report to all three bureaus, and in fact many do not report to all. For those that don’t report to all three, it varies from lender to lender as to which ones they do and do not report to.

Also, debt buyers and outside collection agencies are not absolutely required to report at all. The only restriction is that if they choose to report, the FCRA requires it to be accurate.

So the fact that a record is not present on one bureau in no way gives you leverage to remove it from the other two.

Also, charged off and paid in full are separate characteristics of a trade line. A trade can be paid in full post charge off, but that doesn’t change he fact that it was charged off. And that fact remains on your file.

Sorry.

25. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    The lenders are worried you aren’t a great credit risk... the 670 credit score supports that...

720+ is very good...lots of folks are in the 800s...

So, objectively...

Self employed
    670 score
    Write off
    Low money down...

Not trying to burst your bubble, but don’t look to overextend yourself...

Go buy a 360, pay cash, and enjoy...

unreelviper likes this.